Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow tires for RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking about getting a RWD model 3 up in Connecticut. Reading that you really need snow tires. Am I crazy to think about going for the RWD? What do you guys do with your winter tires in the summer? Where do you get them changed? Do you get different rims? I’ve never had snow tires before...always had a AWD with all season tires and it’s been fine.

Looking for opinions...really appreciate suggestions and help!

Thinking about getting a RWD model 3 up in Connecticut. Reading that you really need snow tires. Am I crazy to think about going for the RWD? What do you guys do with your winter tires in the summer? Where do you get them changed? Do you get different rims? I’ve never had snow tires before...always had a AWD with all season tires and it’s been fine.

I’d say AWD with all season is close to RWD with good snows. I’ve had every combination.

Friend mine got the RWD in MA and he was fine.

I personally got AWD and always run snows but I often travel to central NH. I could have got RWD but I would have not used it on some trips and used my Jeep instead.

Just don’t plan on driving in a major blizzard. Which I avoid with any car.

Plus side of RWD is you’ll get fantastic range and save some money.

I have a LR RWD with winter wheels/Michelin winter tires from tire rack. 0 issues this past winter. The back end is a bit more lively than I’m used to with AWD, but not difficult to deal with at all.

I drive the first storm of the year with the sport 19” tires - would definitely recommend winters if you go RWD, but the money you save over AWD more than pays for them.

I have a LR RWD with winter wheels/Michelin winter tires from tire rack. 0 issues this past winter. The back end is a bit more lively than I’m used to with AWD, but not difficult to deal with at all.

I drive the first storm of the year with the sport 19” tires - would definitely recommend winters if you go RWD, but the money you save over AWD more than pays for them.
Where do you get your tires switched out? How much does it cost to switch? What do you do with the switched tires?

Just bought the MR with RWD and 19” Sports. Is it possible to put on a set of 18” Aeros with snow tires once next winter rolls around or do I need to stick with 19” wheels. In other words, does the Tesla recognize if I have 18” or 19” tire on the car?

Just bought the MR with RWD and 19” Sports. Is it possible to put on a set of 18” Aeros with snow tires once next winter rolls around or do I need to stick with 19” wheels. In other words, does the Tesla recognize if I have 18” or 19” tire on the car?

You can have the 19” sport wheels and also have 18” winter wheels/tires. That’s what I have. When you switch it senses the difference and recalibrates.

Perfectly fine to put 18s on your car. The P3D is the only model 3 you can’t put the 18s or 19s on, due to its larger brakes.

Do you use winter tires today? If not, there should be no need for them on the Model 3 with exceptional stability control.

If you listen to folks on the board, you'd think that everyone gets the AWD Performance model, then gets bigger wheels, and always put winter tires on it. But reality is that that's the furthest from the case.
Most folks in New England don't put winter tires on any more.

Do you use winter tires today? If not, there should be no need for them on the Model 3 with exceptional stability control.

If you listen to folks on the board, you'd think that everyone gets the AWD Performance model, then gets bigger wheels, and always put winter tires on it. But reality is that that's the furthest from the case.
Most folks in New England don't put winter tires on any more.

And most cars in New England are not RWD. Everyone I know with RWD in New England has snow tires.

Screenshot_20190316-151839.png

I have RWD and made it through Ohio winter with the OEM all seasons. The car is a tank. No question that snows wouldn't be better, and if you get a significant amount of snow that doesnt get efficiently cleared by crews, I'd definitely get snow tires. RWD won't be a concern, though.

I also did the RWD without snows in Boston this year. Granted we had a mild winter. But the low center of gravity really planted the car. Lower regen braking and occasionally use slip start and you're fine in 90% of situations. I also happen to have a job that allows me to work from home when it's bad out so I just went without doing the tires.

IMG_1415.jpeg

Maybe I just brainwashed myself from driving SUVs for the last 20 years. I always feel like it's stupid to go anywhere in the snow without all 4 wheels going. When I was in Alaska and I saw people driving little cars I was like "Are they crazy? it's Alaska!"

But I actually don't drive in the snow that much. If we get bad snow, I stay home, even with my Jeep.

But it's one thing that had me worried about the M3. Since I want to at least have regular Autopilot the most I can afford is a mid-range, that's even a little past my budget. Jumping to AWD for an extra $7000 is just too much for me. At any rate, we'd be keeping my fiance's ford escape, so I guess if we felt like we really needed AWD we're covered. Since I do at least 70 miles a day while she works from home, it makes more sense for me to get the EV :)