Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow tires for RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Michelin x-ice 3s on my Rwd model s. I have driven in several snow storms without a problem. Anyone who says all seasons are good enough, has never driven in winter tires. Even our prius with blizzacks was very competent in the snow. If you have another car with winter tires (not just awd), and will just drive one car in bad weather then you can save the money and suck up driving the other car. I bought wheels and tires and keep in my garage. About $2000. If I bring them to shop to change them then $20-60 each time. If you ask the shop to remount the tires on rim, I would think about 80-100.

I switched mid season from the 19" sport rims with stock tires to the Tesla 18's with winter tires (Pirelli's)
The snow tires really are a lot better than the stock 19's. Much less slipping, especially when getting started on hills.

I liked the idea of getting the Tesla 18" rims for snows. It keeps the car looking factory stock, plus I have the option of using 18" rims in the summer if I decide I want the extra range over the 19's.

For OEM I thought the winter tire set at $2000 was pretty reasonable. I agree you can get cheaper at tire rack, but it wasn't night and day.

I have Michelin x-ice 3s on my Rwd model s. I have driven in several snow storms without a problem. Anyone who says all seasons are good enough, has never driven in winter tires. Even our prius with blizzacks was very competent in the snow. If you have another car with winter tires (not just awd), and will just drive one car in bad weather then you can save the money and suck up driving the other car. I bought wheels and tires and keep in my garage. About $2000. If I bring them to shop to change them then $20-60 each time. If you ask the shop to remount the tires on rim, I would think about 80-100.

I bought Aero Take Offs for $1200.00 So I have an extra set of tires I will use later, that would cost $1100 to replace !!
So the RIM's effectively cost me $100.00

Since I'm not using up my summer rubber in the winter, the summer tires will last all that much longer. The long term cost of running Winter tires is $100 !!

That and I swap the wheels myself.

I personally would never use one set of rims for Summer and Winter tires. Probably cost more like $120. Your wheel weights are self sticky and will turn into a mess to have them balanced twice a year. You'd have to haul tires back and forth. Make appointments etc. I can swap wheels in probably under an hour on exactly they time and day I want. But it usually takes me longer because I wash them inside and out and label them.

The Aero wheels are very easy to bang up the edges as well because they protrude from the tire. I never set them down or stack them without foam to protect them.

I also survived Chicago winter this season with my OEM all season on Aeros. Yes snow tires are best but to me all season tires on the Model 3 are manageable. This is also my first time driving a RWD car in winter for the entire season.

I’d also check out discount tire. Last September they had some sales going on which I could’ve got some decent looking and not too heavy wheels with Nokian Hakka R3 for less than $1400. Cheaper than Tire Rack (They don’t even carry Nokian). I’m still mad at myself I didn’t pull the trigger.