Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, we (my new MY and I) just experienced our first snowfall together. Given it has 4W drive and is a heavy beast, I was expecting no problems. However, it didn't grip the road as well as I'd expected and slid a bit when I turned onto my street at 90 mph (just kiddin'). But I was a bit disappointed. I'm in upper NYS and haven't really needed snow tires before. It has whatever the 19" stock tires are and it was a bit icy too, so I may be jumping the snowbank, so to speak.

Have folks in areas with heavy snow found a real need for snow tires on their Teslas?

TIA - Richard

My MY replaced a Subaru two years ago, and I didn't want to risk my wife demanding we return the MY if/when it slid in the snow. I had read the OEMs aren't great in the snow. So I immediately got snow tires, Continental VikingContact 7. These are stud-less winter tires, so maybe overkill for our area (upstate NY, NH), but they have been great in the snow, very happy with them.

Mine get installed tomorrow on my model 3.

Instead of a new set of wheels and TPMS I ordered the same pirellis from tirerack and will have a local shop put them on, then swap in the spring. It will take many years to pay back buying a separate set so I didn't bother.

All cars will be better in snow with snow tires, though most of the time I do not bother. As I've gotten older I'm less tolerant of saving money where safety is involved; I hate the idea of somebody crashing because I thought I'd save some money on tires.

Mine get installed tomorrow on my model 3.

Instead of a new set of wheels and TPMS I ordered the same pirellis from tirerack and will have a local shop put them on, then swap in the spring. It will take many years to pay back buying a separate set so I didn't bother.

All cars will be better in snow with snow tires, though most of the time I do not bother. As I've gotten older I'm less tolerant of saving money where safety is involved; I hate the idea of somebody crashing because I thought I'd save some money on tires.
I kinda feel the same way. I'm afraid of the cost though. Did you do all 4 tires? No way I can afford new rims right now.

Does the drivetrain put power to wheels that need it and not to slipping wheels? I forget what that's called, but all my other recent vehicles have had that.

Any particular reason you chose that brand? Where's the best place to buy/shop for these things anyhow? Thanks!
Because I like to run a dedicated snow tire in the winter on separate wheels I typically choose my winter tires by price, if it's fairly inexpensive I'll go with it. If you want to run the same set year round, check out the Cross Climate 2's I mentioned above, they may fit your need.

Any particular reason you chose that brand? Where's the best place to buy/shop for these things anyhow? Thanks!
You can buy tires from Tirerack.com, and they will deliver to a local shop, which is what I did. I went with the Viking7 based on Tyrereview reviews.

Here is a stud-less tire comparison:
2022 Tyre Reviews Studless Winter Tyre Test - Tyre Reviews and Tests

And a comparison of more traditional "winter tires":
2023 Tyre Reviews Winter Tyre Test - Tyre Reviews and Tests

I kinda feel the same way. I'm afraid of the cost though. Did you do all 4 tires? No way I can afford new rims right now.

Does the drivetrain put power to wheels that need it and not to slipping wheels? I forget what that's called, but all my other recent vehicles have had that.

You need all four. If you are tight on money you can alternatively mount winters on your current wheels and reuse the TPMS. Then, buy replacement wheels in the future. Personally, I will only buy Nokian winter tires but any true winter tire will outperform an all season (snowflake rated tires included). It's also worth mentioning that winter tires are designed for both snow AND low temps.

I live in Vail, CO. Ran the Pirelli Sottozero's last year without issue. This year I'm going with the Michelin X-ice option. Before those I ran Blizzak's, but those don't fit on our car. If you haven't noticed it yet, you'll burn through tires like crazy. The Michelin ones have a 40k mile warranty so you can get pro-rated replacements if you keep a log of your rotations.

I live in Vail, CO. Ran the Pirelli Sottozero's last year without issue. This year I'm going with the Michelin X-ice option. Before those I ran Blizzak's, but those don't fit on our car. If you haven't noticed it yet, you'll burn through tires like crazy. The Michelin ones have a 40k mile warranty so you can get pro-rated replacements if you keep a log of your rotations.
Good to know. Thanks much!

All four yep. The pirelli sotozero are the ones that tesla puts on and they are well rated. I got the standard range ones and as far as I know the only diff between the ones on tirerack and the tesla ones is the tesla ones may have sound-deadening foam. I saw a claim somewhere that these tires may have better mileage than some other winters (all winter will rob range somewhat).

Many people say these tires are only good for a season, so the idea of buying rims, TPMS and swapping out myself regularly has limited practicality anyway if I may only get a season (or two) out and I'm ordering new tires in 1-2 years anyway. I can get tires mounted/balanced for like $130 all in, so on top of $700 or so for these set of tires it would take me many years to get up to have a separate set justified--plus four tires are easier/lighter to deal with in my garage. I'll re-mount the allseasons come march/april.

Many people say these tires are only good for a season, so the idea of buying rims, TPMS and swapping out myself regularly has limited practicality anyway if I may only get a season (or two) out and I'm ordering new tires in 1-2 years anyway. I can get tires mounted/balanced for like $130 all in, so on top of $700 or so for these set of tires it would take me many years to get up to have a separate set justified--plus four tires are easier/lighter to deal with in my garage. I'll re-mount the allseasons come march/april.

What do you mean good for one season?