Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snowshoe Mountain Destination Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would really be something if they actually were “Tesla Super Charging Stations”.

“We are proud to offer two official Tesla Super Charging Stations at no cost to our guests in our continuing effort to keep Snowshoe and the surrounding area “Forever Wild.” These charging stations are located next to our Administrative Parking section across from The Seneca.”

After several suggestions to Tesla to install a charger at Snowshoe mountain, low and behold, thank you:
https://www.snowshoemtn.com/about-us/frequently-asked-questions

I think these have been there for almost 2 years (Feb 2016) after efforts by @Drucifer
How to get to snowshoe?
Snowshoe or other ski resorts have any convenient charging?
Interestingly, they are still not shown on Tesla's destination charger map, Find Us | Tesla
They are on plug share
PlugShare Web v2

I sent a note to [email protected] to request it be added to their map.

Last edited:
Reactions: bhzmark and EVTECH
These are making my trip possible on the weekend of 1/26. Will be in an X loaded with people and gear so a 110v would have been useless. Are there any other ideal locations in the area one can recommend destination chargers at? This will be my first trip out there but I am pretty effective at getting locations to install chargers.

These are making my trip possible on the weekend of 1/26. Will be in an X loaded with people and gear so a 110v would have been useless. Are there any other ideal locations in the area one can recommend destination chargers at? This will be my first trip out there but I am pretty effective at getting locations to install chargers.
Snowshoe is pretty isolated. Outside of some random 120V outlets in the underground parking structures, the 2 destination chargers outside in the parking lot are it. Plugshare shows nothing beyond Harrisonburg/Staunton.

If you’ve never been there before, there is little to no infrastructure along the way. Twisting climbs to 5,000 ft are probably going to hit range pretty hard. The last 50-75 miles will be without cellular service, and there is also none on top of the mountain, due to this being down the road from the resort at Greenbank:

United States National Radio Quiet Zone - Wikipedia

Enjoy!

If you’ve never been there before, there is little to no infrastructure along the way. Twisting climbs to 5,000 ft are probably going to hit range pretty hard. The last 50-75 miles will be without cellular service, and there is also none on top of the mountain, due to this being down the road from the resort at Greenbank:

Enjoy!

The Green Bank Observatory is open to the public and offers tours of the radio telescopes: Science Center - Green Bank Observatory IIRC, you can walk the grounds as long as you leave all of your electronics behind.

Reactions: EVTECH
GBTside.jpg

Green Bank Telescope

Reactions: 101dals and CatB
Snowshoe is pretty isolated. Outside of some random 120V outlets in the underground parking structures, the 2 destination chargers outside in the parking lot are it. Plugshare shows nothing beyond Harrisonburg/Staunton.

Enjoy!

Greatly appreciate the info. I planned on topping off at Charlottesville Supercharger and heading that way. I will be sure to take it easy to get there.

Snowshoe d2.jpg

In April with temps in the 60s, it took 564 Wh/mi —almost double the average— to get to the top of Snowshoe Mountain.

We arrived with 5% remaining. It'll be interesting to hear how much energy it takes a loaded Model X in the cold.

Snowshoe s1.jpg

Here are the two charging stations in the parking lot by the Seneca. There is a Tesla owner who has several condo units there. His Model S was parked in the garage.

Reactions: 101dals
Please let us know how it goes - talking about a trip in my X with the kids for a weekend...

Twisting climbs to 5,000 ft are probably going to hit range pretty hard. The last 50-75 miles will be without cellular service, and there is also none on top of the mountain, due to this being down the road from the resort at Greenbank:

Datapoint: I used to 200 miles of range to go from the Strasburg Supercharger to Snowshoe covering ~158 miles of road and net 4,000 feet of elevation in a P85D with probably 500 lbs of people and luggage in cold snowy conditions driving conservatively and only using AC to do front defrost as needed until knew I had a good safety buffer of range.

Happy to report I confirmed two Tesla Destination Chargers. Trying to upload pics now. - hopefully it worked.

Chargers are located on the road opposite the Ski Rental store.

Drove the ICE SUV up, wasn't brave enough to come up here without verifying and validating first......

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 3.52.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 3.52.16 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 148
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 3.52.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 3.52.42 PM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 141
How was the drive? Looking to do it in 2 weeks maybe...
Was quite the experience. Similar to @bhzmark I used quite a bit of range, more than expected actually.Traveled 133 miles and consumed 210 miles of range from the Charlottesville supercharger. I didn't top off like I should have but figured 1.5x the range would be enough. We had 4 people and 100-150lbs of luggage with no ski rack on the back thankfully. We fit 2 snow boards and a set of skis down the middle because it's a 6 seater. I have a P90D with 19" snow tires which are much more efficient than the 22's. Not sure if you are taking the X or S in your signature but I advise not taking the X if you have summer tires on the 22's. Most of the surface streets are well maintained but the back roads and neighborhoods can get quite bad. The last day we were there we got a few inches of snow and I pulled a van and AWD Tahoe out of the neighborhood our rented cabin was in. Both had highway/all season tires and were stuck getting up a slope.Shaking my head now I didn't get a video or pictures of either and my dashcam already recorded over it. :-(

I highly advise downloading maps beforehand on your phone and knowing exactly where you are staying. We arrived with 2 miles left and the navigation didn't take us directly to the cabin. There is 0 cell signal for verizon which we all had so we couldn't call anyone. The car had 0 LTE signal even on AT&T which is at least spotty up there. We ended up making it to the Seneca with 2 miles left and plugged in. I walked through the "village" and got wifi and was able to call some friends that were already there. Was a poor experience for the friends with us for their first EV trip. :-/ We could have kept wandering around if we were in a gas car. The last couple miles before Snowshoe is a straight climb so plan accordingly. I only used the Seneca chargers for 3 hours on Saturday and trickle charged on a 110V 20A Nema 5-20 outlet at our cabin which was sufficient since we were there for four days. I highly recommend getting this adapter for your UMC if you don't normally carry it. There were a few Teslas there that weekend but I never saw the two chargers occupied at the same time. Not everyone was checking in on Plugshare but luckily didn't need to reach out to anyone since there was always a free charger. My car was always able to pull a full 48A and the other S's were done when I was there.

Hope this all helps. Good luck and plan ahead.

Attachments

• Snowshoe.jpg
    Snowshoe.jpg
    661.7 KB · Views: 146
  • Informative
Reactions: CatB and Lanny
Was quite the experience. Similar to @bhzmark I used quite a bit of range, more than expected actually.Traveled 133 miles and consumed 210 miles of range from the Charlottesville supercharger. I didn't top off like I should have but figured 1.5x the range would be enough. We had 4 people and 100-150lbs of luggage with no ski rack on the back thankfully. We fit 2 snow boards and a set of skis down the middle because it's a 6 seater. I have a P90D with 19" snow tires which are much more efficient than the 22's. Not sure if you are taking the X or S in your signature but I advise not taking the X if you have summer tires on the 22's. Most of the surface streets are well maintained but the back roads and neighborhoods can get quite bad. The last day we were there we got a few inches of snow and I pulled a van and AWD Tahoe out of the neighborhood our rented cabin was in. Both had highway/all season tires and were stuck getting up a slope.Shaking my head now I didn't get a video or pictures of either and my dashcam already recorded over it. :-(

I highly advise downloading maps beforehand on your phone and knowing exactly where you are staying. We arrived with 2 miles left and the navigation didn't take us directly to the cabin. There is 0 cell signal for verizon which we all had so we couldn't call anyone. The car had 0 LTE signal even on AT&T which is at least spotty up there. We ended up making it to the Seneca with 2 miles left and plugged in. I walked through the "village" and got wifi and was able to call some friends that were already there. Was a poor experience for the friends with us for their first EV trip. :-/ We could have kept wandering around if we were in a gas car. The last couple miles before Snowshoe is a straight climb so plan accordingly. I only used the Seneca chargers for 3 hours on Saturday and trickle charged on a 110V 20A Nema 5-20 outlet at our cabin which was sufficient since we were there for four days. I highly recommend getting this adapter for your UMC if you don't normally carry it. There were a few Teslas there that weekend but I never saw the two chargers occupied at the same time. Not everyone was checking in on Plugshare but luckily didn't need to reach out to anyone since there was always a free charger. My car was always able to pull a full 48A and the other S's were done when I was there.

Hope this all helps. Good luck and plan ahead.
Thanks - first of all your X looks awesome - love the color and dechrome!

I am planning on bringing the X but I keep the stock 20's on it for the winter and will change to the 22's for the summer so should be OK with those - had them on the X over Xmas in Erie during the 70+" snowstorm and it performed very well - I actually pulled a Jeep wrangler out of the street at one point.

I appreciate the tips - and I will top off before I make the run! We are going to a place I know - but it is a condo - not sure if there is a plug so I am going to have to run for the chargers before parking for the long haul.

Again - thank you for the info!

Nice. I keep a heavy duty 50' extension cord in each car. It's 10 gauge so even if I need both at 100' it's still adequate. They are expensive at $80-100/each but its a big difference charging in a driveway vs at a HPWC a mile or more away.