Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well thats at odds with pretty much everyone including a number of Tesla staff for thinking that. I kind of think people in the RHD markets may have followed the RHD story closer than someone who's not.

One guy even told me that they looked at introducing a MS+ rear wheel drive only version a bit like the the old P85+ but that was ruled out due to the small numbers.

Raise your hand if you know someone at the Tesla VP level.

/me raises hand

But believe your "sources" all you want, I could care less.

How much could you care less?

A little less, but we're near the floor of "care potential" about RHD drivers as it is at this point. ;)

So yeah, I'm COULD care less, but we're approaching COULDN'T pretty quickly.

EDIT - for the linguists out there:

• Funny
Reactions: MrT3 and bay74
Raise your hand if you know someone at the Tesla VP level.

/me raises hand

But believe your "sources" all you want, I could care less.
Of course you do…

And maybe I’m the Europe region general manager, I’m just not really meant to tell anyone

If you don’t care less perhaps you could keep off the uk subforum?

Well thats at odds with pretty much everyone including a number of Tesla staff for thinking that. I kind of think people in the RHD markets may have followed the RHD story closer than someone who's not.

One guy even told me that they looked at introducing a MS+ rear wheel drive only version a bit like the the old P85+ but that was ruled out due to the small numbers.
as above i've heard it from a ranger who's been with the company many years and said the placement of the motor in the motor S fouls the steering for a RHD application which is why they are trying to pass SBW, steering by wire.

no evidence myself as i dont really care and it may just be a standard line they are taking

I haven't read the entire thread or much about Highland so apologies if this has been discussed.

Are Tesla going to be offering any incentives to people trading up from the previous M3 to the new one?
A lot of the incentives were to clear out stock and meet end of quarter targets, they've all pretty much gone now except on demo cars.

The referral credit still exists, but I think even thats gone in Australia on the M3 which are now promoting Highland, but still there in the Model Y so, maybe there is no referral credit on the M3 Highland. I certainly wouldn't expect to see great deals initially.

Reactions: Nick77
I've not read the full thread, nor watched the video, but at the time it came out I was very much under the impression the whole point of the Octovalue thing was to have multiple options in harvesting/cooling and heating of multiple components. It may have an air source option, but it also has others, and taking heat from a hot motor may be a better option than cold air at times, it may be taking heat out of the battery when supercharging, or putting heat into the battery to precondition. It may be heating the cabin, or it may be cooling the cabin

I'm not sure its worth falling out over or side tracking a thread on the highland to talk about a component that is in all Teslas built today.
George, I respected your comment re falling out and letting the thread get back on track- None of us aren't falling out - just differing viewpoints - so I left it at that. Then, I've just read your reply to one of our USA friends (The hands up one) Well, I was drinking tea at the time. and laughed so much the tea came out my nose - Ill bet he has fallen out with you. 😂

• Funny
Reactions: zoomer0056
George, I respected your comment re falling out and letting the thread get back on track- None of us aren't falling out - just differing viewpoints - so I left it at that. Then, I've just read your reply to one of our USA friends (The hands up one) Well, I was drinking tea at the time. and laughed so much the tea came out my nose - Ill bet he has fallen out with you. 😂
You make a fair point and I’m not perfect

First time poster but a long time lurker whilst I've been researching and making my mind up on which to order through the Octopus EV salary scheme.

I had finally pulled the plug and decided on the Long range AWD and thought I'd be happy with either the current version that I've test driven or the highland but I have just had a call from Octopus to say they are not able to process any more orders with Tesla apart from for the Long range RWD and they don't know when they will open it back up again for the other versions.

I'm presuming this suggests the highland version will be coming sooner rather than later, matching the Tesla website showing next year for deliveries for non-inventory cars.

I just don't know whether to wait and reapply when orders reopen or go for the LR RWD version instead and save a few pounds at the expense of performance (I currently drive an Audi so know indicators are already optional ;))

First time poster but a long time lurker whilst I've been researching and making my mind up on which to order through the Octopus EV salary scheme.

I had finally pulled the plug and decided on the Long range AWD and thought I'd be happy with either the current version that I've test driven or the highland but I have just had a call from Octopus to say they are not able to process any more orders with Tesla apart from for the Long range RWD and they don't know when they will open it back up again for the other versions.

I'm presuming this suggests the highland version will be coming sooner rather than later, matching the Tesla website showing next year for deliveries for non-inventory cars.
I think it means they have orders for all the stock that was produced before they shut the factory to re-tool for Highland.
That is not the same as saying they are ready to commence RHD production.
Traditionally they can produce more LHD cars than they can sell so without interrupting LHD builds to make RHD they may start to build up stock so will want to get on with RHD soon. On the other hand of the switch to highland has a ramp up in volume and or they can sell all the LHD they can make right now there is no guarantee there will not be a break in deliveries to the UK while they build lots of LHD.

The guy from Octopus mentioned the shutdown, but as he claimed to have no idea about Highland back before it launched when I mentioned I was hesitant about ordering as I knew there was an update coming, I just put it down to the short pause I've seen reported elsewhere and assumed they'd already restarted by now.

Given the Tesla website for Aus/NZ showed the highland update for deliveries next year at its launch I always assumed we were delayed due to stock levels and reduced capacity, ie what little they could make would go to the smaller RHD countries first until they got to full capacity again and we've got to the point as you say that they've sold what they can currently provide.

They couldn’t make a RHD MS with the motor as they couldn’t fit in the steering rack

I appreciate the provenance of the sources, but surely they would have known this at the design stage (and not touted a RHD from the outset)? I suppose, just maybe, they had a plan for getting the steering round/not fouling the motor ... and that didn't pan out. Seems a bit of a stretch in my mind that Design had that solved, and Production had a showstopper.

You make a fair point and I’m not perfect

I was going to press DISAGREE, but I thought that would be mean!

... which sounds like it could be paused for a while

That would be my assumption. But Tesla repeated do stuff that takes people by surprise ...

Historically RHD has been a fair delay (6 months). I don't know whether having zero cars in a market (and pissing punters off) is worse than having huge backlog of orders for LHD but deciding to switch the line anyway (given that RHD is going to have some teething snags and reduced numbers for a while)

"pissing punters off" doesn't normally bother Tesla, so I reckon pound-shillings-and-pence will rule the roost.

If you can wait up to 6 months then I would sit tight for the new model. If you need a car before then I'd get whatever you can get your hands on now.

If you are able to buy "quickly" (e.g. cash) you could wait and be fastest-finger-first. I've been one of the first recipients of new models because when the actual order book opened I placed my order immediately (and I did not hold a prior reservation). Folk who had made a reservation, and assumed that was the batting order, were disappointed.

Why are Oz getting a RHD date prediction and UK not?

What if they decide to make RHD M3 out of Germany and have some work to do to make a suitable RHD line / switch over / whatever. That will make delivery date unpredictable ... I'm not up to speed with whether Tesla have announced that all RHD will come from China "forever", and presumably the Oz ones will be coming from China ... and I am doubtful that EU volumes for Saloon M3 are anywhere near the numbers for Hatchback that us lot prefer ... so UK RHD M3 from Germany seems a long shot. But ...