Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You forget how annoying it is until you switch to a car with them in front of you and even better on a head up display. If you want to reignite that chestnut then feel free, just don't moan when you get the comments. .
I’d love to have a HUD. You get the best of both worlds, keeping the simplicity of the cabin and having relevant information displayed, so to speak, on the road in front of you. But apparently Musk doesn’t like them so we can’t have them.

Reactions: Roy Batty
This thread has really polarised opinions yet very few have had the opportunity to experience what the indicators will be like so I would prefer to try using without stalks before making judgement. Yes it's an unnecessary inconvenience but I could probably adapt if necessary, as I've done with Vision Park Assist & internal camera monitoring (neither of those are now giving me cause for concern in spite of what others may find or what I first believed).

None of those issues outweigh everything else I value and enjoy about driving my car.

someone could probably mock up something with capacity buttons and a little microcpu that makes a clicky sound to simulate and you can stick on your wheel. I'd be tempted to mock up something with a 3d printer but the real one doesn't have physical buttons so that might be too good :p

I just tried at my local double mini roundabout that replaced a staggered junction. Never thought about it before but while I turned right first, I had to turn left on approach and instantly my wheel was 90 degrees left. Then turning right it ended up 180 degrees right(so upside down) and in that case I'd want to cancel the indicator. Going to practice some more out of morbid curiousity

Nearly 2 years in and I still find the speedo placement stupid and having to take my eyes off the road to check how fast I’m going.

It’s lucky I’ve got a “feel” for how fast I’m going but it’s not exactly scientific and I will get caught out one day.

Sounds like you're just looking to grumble about something, as usual. You should be able to flick your eyes between the upper right corner of the screen and back to the road very rapidly. It shouldn't be appreciably different to looking down slightly at a speedo and back to the road. It's a fairly rapid eye movement.

I feel like I've got a good idea of how fast I'm going to within +/- 5mph at any time. I worry about people who say they have to "watch their speedo" to avoid getting done by speed cameras or whatever.

That said I would definitely be in favour of a HUD or binnacle ala S/X just because I enjoyed having extra info up in front whenever I've driven either of those cars. I don't think it would detract from the design.

I feel like I've got a good idea of how fast I'm going to within +/- 5mph at any time. I worry about people who say they have to "watch their speedo" to avoid getting done by speed cameras or whatever.

That said I would definitely be in favour of a HUD or binnacle ala S/X just because I enjoyed having extra info up in front whenever I've driven either of those cars. I don't think it would detract from the design.
I spotted something on one of RSEV's YouTube video's where they are trying out the Park Assist update , and I could swear I could see a Speedo within the air vents - very subtly done. I thought it was very smart and solved some people problem in a tasteful way.

Edit: Adding Screenshot.

Attachments

• RSEV.png
    RSEV.png
    556.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Reactions: phil4
Good review of the indicators from a Highland owner rather than a motoring journalist:

The guy demos the fact that you’ll need to look at the wheel (and therefore off the road) while you’re turning.

I guess most people just aren’t going to bother. It’s not as if people indicating off roundabouts is rigorously adhered to anyway? 🤷🏻‍♂️
I really don’t get people’s obsession with the lack of stalks. My wife and I took both S and X out, first time the wife has driven a LHD in UK as well, and neither of us even noticed that we were using the wheel to indicate until we got back, that’s hour natural of was. Maybe we are able to adjust easier than most as we regularly drive loads of different vehicles but still…

But your eyes are off the road for a traditional speedo anyway, if you don't have a HUD.
I had a HUD 😉

Also a quick glance down ahead is not the same as down and across.

Sounds like you're just looking to grumble about something, as usual. You should be able to flick your eyes between the upper right corner of the screen and back to the road very rapidly. It shouldn't be appreciably different to looking down slightly at a speedo and back to the road. It's a fairly rapid eye movement.
Sounds like you’re looking to defend anything Tesla does (again)

Ask yourselves this, if having the speed on the central screen is perfectly acceptable, why do the flagship S and X both come with traditional instrument binnacles?

I spotted something on one of RSEV's YouTube video's where they are trying out the Park Assist update , and I could swear I could see a Speedo within the air vents - very subtly done. I thought it was very smart and solved some people problem in a tasteful way.

Edit: Adding Screenshot.
That's an aftermarket addon. But yeah, interesting solution.. although I'm not sure what "8" is supposed to mean when the car screen is showing the car is stationary.

I had a HUD 😉

Also a quick glance down ahead is not the same as down and across.

Sounds like you’re looking to defend anything Tesla does (again)

Ask yourselves this, if having the speed on the central screen is perfectly acceptable, why do the flagship S and X both come with traditional instrument binnacles?
Other cars have similar or worse speedo setups. Our previous Mini comes to mind....

I really don’t get people’s obsession with the lack of stalks. My wife and I took both S and X out, first time the wife has driven a LHD in UK as well, and neither of us even noticed that we were using the wheel to indicate until we got back, that’s hour natural of was. Maybe we are able to adjust easier than most as we regularly drive loads of different vehicles but still…
You know how people are :) They are trying their best to overload these forums with downside of stalkless M3 and put some pressure to bring back stalk on. Which is in a way good as that will reassure me that Tesla listens to customer feedback - not just the marketing execs as in legacy automakers. The only thing I want is to put a sticker price of £1000 if they want stalk in their Teslas as an extra (Elon it is my idea or may be Apple’s) that is right up the alley of one of those german car maker.

Last edited:
Reactions: m3gt2 and Maki22
That's an aftermarket addon. But yeah, interesting solution.
If I felt the need for a speedo in front of me in my M3 (which currently, I dont), thats the sort of thing I would accept as it doesn't change the aesthetics of the interior. What I don't want is the return of a clumpy instrument cluster, or an android tablet tacked to the dash.

Other cars have similar or worse speedo setups. Our previous Mini comes to mind....
Luckily I have never considered buying a Mini.

I think a load of old Toyotas like the Yaris also has a speedo in the middle, which is equally as stupid, but here’s the thing, the Model 3 and Y aren’t in the same category of built to price supermini so it’s largely irrelevant making those comparisons

Because luddites expect it there. ;)

But seriously, I find the secondary display very useful for turn-by turn navigation. That's been my main gripe with the single screen setup on the 3 and Y. I honestly have no issue whatsoever with the speed being where it is and think the issue is often exaggerated. Sure a HUD would be ideal, but most people don't have that either.

I think a load of old Toyotas like the Yaris also has a speedo in the middle, which is equally as stupid, but here’s the thing, the Model 3 and Y aren’t in the same category of built to price supermini so it’s largely irrelevant making those comparisons
Yes Model 3/Y are not. But at the same time if the car has everything - how are you going to update every 3 years and get the customer to buy a new model. The car industry has changed and I am sure you will agree with me on this - the habit of buying used car/second hand car (which is still financially profitable) is slowly disappearing with EVs and online sales. Also, companies like Tesla focus so much on quarterly ends they have to sell new cars. One way to make customers buy these refreshed version is to introduce changes or updates over a 10-15 year period. Of course, Apple set the way for this - taking out something and introducing something every year but a major update every 4-5 years. I am not sure Model 3/Y will get a HUD or central console but it is not hard for them - I am sure they will do it if the sales drop dramatically and the competition is way ahead of them. They don’t need it now.

I guess my point is that Tesla is not the only one with a speedo not in a binnacle. And some far more expensive cars don't have the speedo easier to see without looking away from the road. Peering down though the spokes of a steering wheel is not necessarily easier, just what people have come to accept. Have you ever driven a Porsche 911 variant by chance? The ones I have been in seem to favour the tachometer and the speedometer is not so easy to read. To me, the speed reading on a Model 3/Y is far easier to glance at.