Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, does it bother anyone else ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cold cut sandwich or cereal 🥣
Cooking doesn’t use much unless your using the oven for a long period of time.

Nobody at PG&E wants to hear your logic heh.

If a homeowner with a rising/expensive energy bill calls PG&E to ask about their bill; PG&E will ask them... "do you cook hot meals using electricity between 4 and 9 pm?"

And if the homeowner says "yes of course, we eat nice warm home-cooked dinners on induction!"

Then PG&E responds with "see that's your problem. Didn't you see the advertisements telling you to conserve power during peak time? Your bill is high because you cook warm meals!"

If the homeowner says "nah bro, I doordash everything"

Then PG&E responds with "did you watch TV between 4 to 9 pm?"

And so on and so forth, until the rate payer believes their behavior was the problem.

Source: I had to go through this trash on the phone with PG&E in 2019 when they put me on their "naughty energy user list" and tried to get me to behave like a responsible energy consumer.

Now a led bulb only uses 13 watts, really doesn’t matter.
But I got 100% smart switches.
Well we have 16 LED bulbs in a kitchen/eating space so I prefer to have these off if nobody is there, especially when house is running off PWs. Looking forward to get my smart switches. I have Sense monitor installed so I bought switches that could be paired with it (could be controlled with the same app and report usage). Curious to see how much energy goes into lighting.

Well we have 16 LED bulbs in a kitchen/eating space so I prefer to have these off if nobody is there, especially when house is running off PWs. Looking forward to get my smart switches. I have Sense monitor installed so I bought switches that could be paired with it (could be controlled with the same app and report usage). Curious to see how much energy goes into lighting.

Yeah a single LED isn’t so bad, but it’s easy to go nuts with them haha.

We now have 17 lights to our living room… it’s as bright inside as it is outside hehe. Nowhere near redhill_qik’s 500 lights. 17 lights is 200 watts as measured by the Emporia Vue.

Since Tesla sucks major ass, and we no longer have BEV to charge at home… might as well blow the energy on lighting and air conditioning.

I've been pretty disappointed with LEDs. My old incandescent seem to have lasted longer than most of the new LEDs. Maybe because I bought the LEDs on sale ...
I had some LEDs that went out in a year and complained to the manufacture. They admitted they had a bad batch (early production?) and replaced all 12 of them.

I've been pretty disappointed with LEDs. My old incandescent seem to have lasted longer than most of the new LEDs. Maybe because I bought the LEDs on sale ...
I have a case of LED (prob 12 or 16) I bought from HD that failed in less than a year too.
I had some LEDs that went out in a year and complained to the manufacture. They admitted they had a bad batch (early production?) and replaced all 12 of them.
I might try to do the same because it was not cheapest and I was pretty disappointed how quickly they failed.

Reactions: h2ofun
I can turn on every light (“Alexa turn on all lights”) inside and out an it is only ~1 kW. One night my dobie stood up in bed and started barking, so I utilized that routine, freaked me out. It must have been a owl on the roof.

I find their lifespan is proportional to the cost.

If I buy the super cheap on sale ones, they sometimes last and other times will have n early death.

I bought one of those weird-looking Phillips bulbs when the LED replacement craze was just starting and many people were still running CFL.

That single 600-lumen bulb was $39.99 and its part of primary fixture we use in the living room every day. I wonder how long it will last, so far going on 15 years.

Others that I buy in packs of 3 for $10, 1/3 will burn out early.

Reactions: BGbreeder
Crappppp we have like 40 of those low-profile-canless ones now on our vaulted ceilings. I better pick up some extras for replacements.

PS, all those jokes about "how many X does it take to change a light bulb" will not make any sense to people in the future when it really is a PITA to get 20 feet up in the air to change a LED fixture and match LED color temperatures.

PSS, since I am the dumbest MF-er on TMC (dumb enough to buy a 2023 Tesla Model X and expected it to run properly), I don't think I know how to change one of these LED light bulbs.

• Funny
Reactions: AMPd
Nobody at PG&E wants to hear your logic heh.

If a homeowner with a rising/expensive energy bill calls PG&E to ask about their bill; PG&E will ask them... "do you cook hot meals using electricity between 4 and 9 pm?"

And if the homeowner says "yes of course, we eat nice warm home-cooked dinners on induction!"

Then PG&E responds with "see that's your problem. Didn't you see the advertisements telling you to conserve power during peak time? Your bill is high because you cook warm meals!"

If the homeowner says "nah bro, I doordash everything"

Then PG&E responds with "did you watch TV between 4 to 9 pm?"

And so on and so forth, until the rate payer believes their behavior was the problem.

Source: I had to go through this trash on the phone with PG&E in 2019 when they put me on their "naughty energy user list" and tried to get me to behave like a responsible energy consumer.
We only cook cold meals, so it gets warm enough to enjoy while eating it. :D

Also, we don't heat hot water. We replace those tanks to plain water heaters. :D

Are you talking about LED replacement bulbs, or replacing the light fixture with an LED fixture? Our experience with the screw-in LED replacement bulbs has not been great. But with the fixtures we replaced with LED fixtures has been great. We have never had a LED fixture (can lights, outside fixture, etc.) fail to work in 10 years.

Are you talking about LED replacement bulbs, or replacing the light fixture with an LED fixture? Our experience with the screw-in LED replacement bulbs has not been great. But with the fixtures we replaced with LED fixtures has been great. We have never had a LED fixture (can lights, outside fixture, etc.) fail to work in 10 years.
screw-in bulb. retrofitting cans is too much effort;) have noticed flickering with powerwalls on some screw-in can light retrofits but they haven't died yet. There are two chandeliers I'm looking at replacing as their bulbs can occasionally flicker considerably.

screw-in bulb. retrofitting cans is too much effort;) have noticed flickering with powerwalls on some screw-in can light retrofits but they haven't died yet. There are two chandeliers I'm looking at replacing as their bulbs can occasionally flicker considerably.
Be careful with the chandeliers and bulb temperature. We installed a LED fixture with lower temp (2800K) "Edison" bulb for a warmer glow. They look great but if you turn the power up close to 100% they start flickering and then shutdown for seconds at a time. We asked the electrician about it, and he said it is a function of the bulb color temperature. I replaced the bulb with higher temperature (5500K) bulbs and the flicker went away. But the bright white light looked cheap. So, we are back to the "warm" white (2800K) bulbs and never turn up the power to 100%.