Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So I buy a Tesla and it's in my driveway the next morning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow! Think about it. Order a Tesla online and once the car has been built, Tesla puts in the address on the GPS. The car then transports itself to it's new owner!
No trucks. No train. No showroom pick-up.
I can live in my own cocoon and not have to talk to any of those other humans.? :)

So many scenarios to think up with AP 2.all

Yep. I'd expect fairly soon we'll see video of cars driving themselves off the end of the assembly line and putting themselves through track testing. Eventually they'll stream out of the gate to self deploy but pretty soon they'll sort themselves out on the property of the Fremont plant, arranging themselves for transport.

Reactions: Sather
Think about that. Man, it's like that futuristic movie "I, robot '
Will Smith is driving and his co-star say's with disbelief "your driving the car? " like it was unheard of. :)
I love driving my S and at times I love my S driving me :)
All reports have been saying this is 20-30 years away and Elon kept saying it will be sooner than anyone thinks. Never expected it this year!

NO. My car had only 15 miles on it pick-up day and I thought that was cool because Tesla gives the car a 50 mile window as new.
But, maybe some financial incentive for a self-delivered car rather than shipping it on a truck. You know ahead of time it will have some miles depending on how far you are from Freemont. In my case though your right, it would be around 3000 miles

They could still ship them on trains or trucks to major hubs, then send the car on its way from there. It would make buying in states like Michigan much less of an issue.
Yep. They could be shipped to the Dallas area and then sent on their way since the metroplex is so spread out. No need for dealers or for them to buy lots of land to keep them their until the customer picks it up.

They could still ship them on trains or trucks to major hubs, then send the car on its way from there. It would make buying in states like Michigan much less of an issue.
This is what I was thinking for the rest of the country. When I contemplated shipping Model 3's to China this way over the frozen oceans in the North Pole, I realized the miles on the car and battery at delivery would be past when most cars would be sold as worthless or at least majorly diminished. I then realized a hybrid approach would work out well. For me, basically on top of the Fremont factory, delivery to me would be less than 1 daily commute for me, but then again, I plan to put 50K miles/year on it.

A hybrid approach to a far flung destination:
  1. Car drives itself out of factory, to initial charging, to initial curing (they have a lot of chemicals that might not cure right away, although if I were them, I'd try to spec fast-curing chemicals), to initial loading onto any type of rail transport. Then, it might get off-loaded at a boat. If it's a local rail yard or boat yard to load at, the car could just drive there. Let's say any leg of travel for long distance transport that's under 50 miles is acceptable, with less than 150 miles for final dock, and less than 500 miles to customer, 250 miles for urban customers, would be considered acceptable.
  2. Car drives itself onto boat, if boat involved. No loaders needed.
  3. Car drives itself off of boat, onto any type of train or truck, as needed.
  4. Car drives itself off of train (or truck), as needed.
  5. Car drives itself onto truck (as needed).
  6. Car drives itself off of truck (as needed).
  7. Car drives itself to customer.
Insert a final inspection in there around step 6.5 or 4.5 or so, and it's done. If I were Tesla, I'd have a final inspection point at step 1, 3, 4.5, and 6, each re-inspecting the vehicle (perhaps with computer assisted inspection), each with its respective probability-built fixing facilities. The facilities would be better equipped with higher economies of scale nearer to the bigger hubs (boats, trains) than the smaller hubs (trains, trucks), and thus, would catch early big-money errors sooner with more ability to inexpensively handle it, and as it gets more expensively further away from the factory, the ability to fix can go down, if it gets checked along the way. Final inspection would be a skeleton crew only needed to really finalize that it is in good condition, and in the very unlikely event that the last leg introduced problems, fix it and report it (so that those problems don't keep happening), then send it on its way. Customer would receive it with less than half a thousand miles on it: a very good way to make deliveries a lot cheaper. Maybe a discount from Tesla for the price of the car per mile driven to the final docking point would be fair, to incentivize Tesla to keep those miles low; this would be estimated at ordering time for the ship-to address, explicitly. Anything from final docking point to customer would be considered customer's cost, and should be calculated into the estimated miles at delivery during ordering time, explained by the web site.

This would keep miles low on the self-delivery, keep delivery costs low, and keep efficiency high.

I feel like this process will take hours to weeks, depending on destination and origination.

Eventually, Tesla will build more overseas factories, such as Asia, Europe, and if things go well, other places too, like Australia, Africa, and South America, as well as The East Coast of North America.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Chopr147
Sorry, I want to have the dealer delivery experience. With that, at least I can do a detailed inspection of the car before accepting it, and insist than any defects be fixed before I take it. If the car delivers itself to me, I don't have that. Wait... maybe the car can also do a QC inspection of itself. (And repair itself?) This is what Stephen Hawking has been warning us about...

• Funny
Reactions: Chopr147
I have no problem and like the dealer experience myself, including my inspection list that
became like 100 items long after reading this forum :)
But the future keeps moving to less and less human intervention, like it or not. For a corporation looking at spreadsheets it all comes down the the bottom line.

Ulmo mentions driving onto a boat. The inspections can be done while the cars are being transported and delivery does not lose a second of time. A company guy/gal who runs the delivery process would love that!