Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So I have had my Tesla Y for 4 Days ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@E-Dizzy Glad you like the car! I purchased mine with the hitch installed; I'm not sure whether Tow Mode is a feature if you don't buy the rack with the car. If it's not there, then you may be able to get the Service Center to note in the car's record that you have the Tesla hitch and add that capability. But someone with no rack can comment on whether the feature is there already.

Congrats! I will comment on the plug and the kid.

1) In my response I am assuming the electrician meant a 50amp circuit when he said 50/220. I am not an electrician.

As you can see someone posted a picture of the two different types of 50 amp outlets here in the US. Unless I am mistaken code states that the outlet should be the 14-50 in this application. To be clear a 14-50 is not what you would have your dryer connected to. A dryer plug would be a 14-30 and would not be able to charge your vehicle safely above 24 amps. You should have a 14-50 outlet and you should verify this with your electrician and that he or she used the correct breaker and correct size wire. In order to comply with code the continuous load on a circuit cannot exceed 80% of the rating. So if you have a 50 amp breaker you can't go above 40 amps.

The 14-50 adapter is available from the Tesla shop and will allow you to charge at a maximum of 32 amp using the mobile charger that came with the car. The Model Y can charge at up to 48amp but to do that you need a 60 amp circuit. With a 50 amp circuit you max out at 40 amps.

Now based on what you said you should determine if you want to buy a dedicated charger. I probably would so that I could carry the mobile connector with me, however at 40 amps your not going to see a huge difference but if you do a lot of driving it may be worth it. The 2nd option is to have a 60amp circuit installed so that you can charge at the 48 amp maximum.

If it were me installing the dedicated charger I would go with a hardwired setup instead of plugging into an outlet. Code usually requires a GFCI type breaker and I have experienced nuisance tripping at one of my locations with the solution being switching to a hard wired setup. Also, I have read about multiple instances where folks had a defective plug or outlet which caused arcing and resulted in melting and burning. The outlet and plug are two additional failure points that aren't necessary if your installing a dedicated charger that you don't plan to move.

2) My teenager doesn't like the Tesla. She would rather I drive a pickup truck. I think kids don't like the attention being drawn to them or their parents..at least I think that is the case for me. I don't care though I love the Tesla and she will grow out of it 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: E-Dizzy
Your door lock problem may also be the child safety lock is on for the back doors. You have to go thru the on screen menu system, under locks to turn those on or off.
You can enable/disable child locks (and I'm sure probably also lock and unlock all doors) by using voice commands. A lot of the time when I don't want to dig through a bunch of menu screens, I'll just push the right scroll wheel, cross my fingers, and tell it what I want it to do. Often times, I'm pleasantly surprised.

5 - Still getting comfortable with the "just get out of the car and walk away" feature. I am so used to dealing with keys ... then hitting the alarm button, etc. I'm sure everyone has dealt with that? Is there ever a way where the car is mistakenly left on when simply getting out and walking away? That's my biggest worry right now
You can mistakenly leave your car on or at least unlocked and stealable. I know that isn't a real word, but the point is that if you for example have your phone on the wireless charging pad, and get out of the car and go into a store, someone could easily walk up to your car, open the door, steal anything out of your car, or steal the whole car itself. Don't forget your phone in the car when you get out of it. I enabled the horn honk when doors lock to help me remember that if I don't hear that sound when I'm walking away from my car, my car didn't lock because I accidentally left my phone inside it.

Also, on the topic of "just get out of the car and walk away", not sure if you've noticed, but you don't even need to put the car in park if it's setup for to hold when you take your foot off the gas. Basically, when you take your foot off the gas and it comes to a complete stop, you can just open the driver door and the car will automatically put itself in park.

You can mistakenly leave your car on or at least unlocked and stealable. I know that isn't a real word, but the point is that if you for example have your phone on the wireless charging pad, and get out of the car and go into a store, someone could easily walk up to your car, open the door, steal anything out of your car, or steal the whole car itself. Don't forget your phone in the car when you get out of it. I enabled the horn honk when doors lock to help me remember that if I don't hear that sound when I'm walking away from my car, my car didn't lock because I accidentally left my phone inside it.

Also, on the topic of "just get out of the car and walk away", not sure if you've noticed, but you don't even need to put the car in park if it's setup for to hold when you take your foot off the gas. Basically, when you take your foot off the gas and it comes to a complete stop, you can just open the driver door and the car will automatically put itself in park.
This is why you should set PIN to Drive. Anyone can enter your Tesla if you leave your phone inside the vehicle but they can't drive away with your wheels unless they have the 4 digit PIN.

Towing Mode is definitely what you want when using your bike rack. It will get rid of all the extra beeping. It will also disable some autopilot functions, but that is reasonable when your sensors are blocked.

Set your locks to Unlock on Park (unless you tend to park in unsafe areas). Then, make sure you put your car in Park before your kid tries to get out. I think it is unsafe to have people entering/exiting when you are in gear, anyway.

Definitely let your kids play with the video games, drawing pad, Netflix and Hulu. My kid can entertain himself for hours in the car while I do other things. Just make sure the climate control stays on.

Congrats on the ride -

From Tesla: Model Y Tow Package

What does Trailer Mode do?
Trailer Mode must always be active when towing a trailer. Some Autopilot features such as Autopark and Autosteer, as well as rear parking sensor functionality, may not be available when Trailer Mode is enabled.

In addition, the following features operate differently:

• Traffic-Aware Cruise Control increases the following distance from the vehicle in front of you.
  • Side collision warnings are active but automatic steering interventions are disabled.
  • The braking force provided by Automatic Emergency Braking may be limited. Therefore, stopping distance may increase.

havent got ours yet, but....

#4: My 14 yr old is amped and already has watched all the youtube and tiktok vids that exist for Tesla easter eggs lol MY older son just turned 18, has his first real girlfrend, so has other "things" on his mind. You know.... He seems unimpressed, or at least indifferent. :)

#3:

which is yours? then buy that plug-it replaces the 120 volt that comes With the car, It's 45 dollars. I bought ours before getting the car. (we installed a 14-50)

View attachment 668734

There it is ... the NEMA 14-50 ... I appreciate you posting this. I ordered yesterday and hopefully it will arrive from tesla in a day or three ...

Reactions: Peelz
@E-Dizzy Glad you like the car! I purchased mine with the hitch installed; I'm not sure whether Tow Mode is a feature if you don't buy the rack with the car. If it's not there, then you may be able to get the Service Center to note in the car's record that you have the Tesla hitch and add that capability. But someone with no rack can comment on whether the feature is there already.

Thanks for the reply. A few others above stated to look at Tow Mode which i did this morning. I turned it to "Off" backed out of the driveway and got no in-car alerts. I started thinking "gosh shouldn't I be hearing alerts right about now?"

Ha ha ... I can't have it both ways!

Congrats! I will comment on the plug and the kid.

1) In my response I am assuming the electrician meant a 50amp circuit when he said 50/220. I am not an electrician.

As you can see someone posted a picture of the two different types of 50 amp outlets here in the US. Unless I am mistaken code states that the outlet should be the 14-50 in this application. To be clear a 14-50 is not what you would have your dryer connected to. A dryer plug would be a 14-30 and would not be able to charge your vehicle safely above 24 amps. You should have a 14-50 outlet and you should verify this with your electrician and that he or she used the correct breaker and correct size wire. In order to comply with code the continuous load on a circuit cannot exceed 80% of the rating. So if you have a 50 amp breaker you can't go above 40 amps.

The 14-50 adapter is available from the Tesla shop and will allow you to charge at a maximum of 32 amp using the mobile charger that came with the car. The Model Y can charge at up to 48amp but to do that you need a 60 amp circuit. With a 50 amp circuit you max out at 40 amps.

Now based on what you said you should determine if you want to buy a dedicated charger. I probably would so that I could carry the mobile connector with me, however at 40 amps your not going to see a huge difference but if you do a lot of driving it may be worth it. The 2nd option is to have a 60amp circuit installed so that you can charge at the 48 amp maximum.

If it were me installing the dedicated charger I would go with a hardwired setup instead of plugging into an outlet. Code usually requires a GFCI type breaker and I have experienced nuisance tripping at one of my locations with the solution being switching to a hard wired setup. Also, I have read about multiple instances where folks had a defective plug or outlet which caused arcing and resulted in melting and burning. The outlet and plug are two additional failure points that aren't necessary if your installing a dedicated charger that you don't plan to move.

2) My teenager doesn't like the Tesla. She would rather I drive a pickup truck. I think kids don't like the attention being drawn to them or their parents..at least I think that is the case for me. I don't care though I love the Tesla and she will grow out of it 😂

Thank you for this thorough reply. I have received tons of guidance on this subject matter which is WAY over my head. I ordered the NEMA 14-50 and will probably be in good hands upon arrival in a few days ... again thank you ...

Reactions: 240vPlug

I accept the word "stealable" haha ... I have forgotten my phone twice now on its charging pad (killer feature BTW). Thanks for the reply ...

This is why you should set PIN to Drive. Anyone can enter your Tesla if you leave your phone inside the vehicle but they can't drive away with your wheels unless they have the 4 digit PIN.

Wow ... mind blown. Didn't know there is a PIN function. Just looked on my app didn't see it. Assume it is on the screen (I will google it) ... or walk to my car to see it. Cool feature ... thanks ...

Wow ... mind blown. Didn't know there is a PIN function. Just looked on my app didn't see it. Assume it is on the screen (I will google it) ... or walk to my car to see it. Cool feature ... thanks ...
PIN to drive is set from the Tesla screen in the vehicle. The option for setting a PIN is under Safety & Security. There is a separate PIN for Valet Mode when you want to turn over the vehicle to a parking attendant (limits speed, sets the Tesla to Chill Mode and locks the glove box.) There is also a setting for adding a PIN for locking the glove box.

Wow quick reply - thank you. So to be clear: the Gen 2 NEMA Adaptor fits the bigger outlets? I will buy now and report back. Again, thank you very much ...
E-Dizzy, attached is a handy chart for viewing all of the NEMA option. Enjoy your new car.

Attachments

• NEMA simplified chart.JPG
    NEMA simplified chart.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung