Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, my car was hit by lightning at the Grove City, OH supercharger...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just under 13* miles a minute, 12.66.. a minute to be exact. Sound travels 0.211.. miles a second, you forgot to divide by another 60. Which is not that fast if you compare it to light which travels at 186,282 miles a second. There is a trick to see how far away a lightning strike is. Count how many seconds it takes for the thunder to get to you after seeing the flash of lightning and for ever second is about 5 miles. Sorry for my pointless ramble.

Back to front; it's a mile for every 5 seconds.

This news has gone Viral and is all over the internet portrayed as a negative news. I please urge logann to remove or disable the video.

In this case the video isn't what makes it news worthy. The video contains very little detail.

What makes it news worthy is it's a Tesla at a supercharger. It's interesting to me because it's an EV plugged in. By being plugged in you lose your normal faraday cage type protection, and it opens it up to voltage spikes on any of the IO lines that get connected to the supercharger. There isn't anything about the fact that it's a Tesla, or that it's a supercharger from a technical standpoint.

The best way to handle it is through maximum transparency.

What broke on the car
What broke on the supercharger if anything.
Is The Tesla/Supercharger combo any more susceptible to this than a Nissan leaf/chademo combo?

We probably will never know exactly what happened.

What we do know though is one persons car not only got disabled, but also got stuck to a supercharger when a nearby lighting strike happened.

What that tells me as an owner (awaiting delivery but close enough) is to unplug from a supercharger during an intense lighting storm. Now I probably would have done that anyways. Just like I wouldn't be pumping gas during an active lighting storm. The reasons are entirely different, but it's not something I wish to take a chance on.

Last edited:
We will probably also see more more attention to the emergency charger release lever behind the charge port. That said, I personally, would not touch that lever while connected to the Supercharger. My UMC, sure - since I can unplug it from the wall first. The Supercharger, nope. I'd call and let Tesla disconnect it for me even if they said it would be safe.

Wow. I think i may know who have been behind it....

1306355-tesla.jpg

but why?

Hokey smokes. I was at this exact same Supercharger during a brief torrential downpour last week (the storms that had caused the flooding in Texas and Oklahoma). Fortunately no lightening, but I do remember asking one of the other drivers afterwards if they knew whether we should be Supercharging during heavy rain.

Nitpicker's corner: Isn't this incorrect because of the behavior of leap year w/r/t the year 2000?

Not really...according to the Gregorian calendar, 1900 was not a leap year, nor will 2100 be a leap year, but 2000 was a leap year just like the other years divisible by 4 in the spans you ponder. The difference is the phase of the 30 year spans with leap year cycles. 1955 to 1985 had 8 leap years, and 1985 to 2015 had 7 leap years because of where leap years fall relative to the 30-year spans.

Quick update:

The Tesla technician manually disconnected the charger and they towed it over to the service center. They pulled the logs and sent them to engineering. They're waiting on engineering before they do anything. The engineers should be able to figure out what happened.

This is a really bad situation... I had this happening at one of my client office TWICE ! All their computer equipment and phones had to be replaced. They still worked, but all the network card fried (I'm guessing the network wire inside the ceiling acted like an antenna).

Some thing worked ok for a while, but weird issues occurred, so it was decided with the insurance that everything electronic had to be replaced.

So I'll stop here, because every scenario that come to mind is bad... I hope that Tesla will want to keep it for itself and give you another one !

- - - Updated - - -

What that tells me as an owner (awaiting delivery but close enough) is to unplug from a supercharger during an intense lighting storm.
You should unplug BEFORE an lighting storm, not during :) So stay in the car and charge ! The odds are low, though it under 1 in a 60 000 now :p

I will think twice before unplugging the car when finished charging in a lighting storm now !