Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So this happened today...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oy purchased my car on Saturday August 17th and today Tuesday, August 27....this happened :eek::(

IMG_3640.jpg IMG_3641.jpg IMG_3637.jpg IMG_3638.jpg IMG_3642.jpg IMG_3639.jpg

I was on Mass Ave NW in Washington, DC - couldn't see metal object in the road it was the same color as the pavement- bam.

I don't even know how much damage is done under the car; hopefully none!

I am about to go on vacay for 3 weeks so luckily I won't need my car, but it would be great to return home to repaired car. Off to the body shop tomorrow. Does anyone have experience with Burton Collision/Rosslyn Auto Body?

Geico has stated this is a comprehension claim. I was just complaining about my insurance going up after the purchase of this car :(

Man sorry to see that, especially happening so soon after getting your car (although no time is great). So it got both passenger tire areas and panel in between? Any idea what it was exactly? Nasty.

It was was heavy but slender steel bar. Just lying in wait for Jarvis (my Telsa)....maybe it was an iron bar that didn't like me naming my car Jarvis. Ugh I am gutted....with all the horror stories about repairs, I hope I buck that trend.

Funny despite what was typed I read it to be comprehensive, didn’t you? Maybe the guy was upset about his car?

Haha I definitely meet comprehensive ---my comprehension is off since, I am tired and very upset lol. Comprehensive coverage just means I wasn't in accident with another car - and hopefully my premiums don't go up too much.

• Funny
Reactions: yerEVan and tvad
Given how both wheels were broken, it seems that the object you drove over was quite massive and remained largely in the same position between the two consecutive impacts. Chances are that not much is broken on the underside.

You want it to be covered under the comprehensive portion of your insurance and not the collision portion. Of course the metal object was "moving toward you and hit your car" and you did not "run into the metal object". If you do not understand the difference between these statements, please check with someone who understands insurance claims before speaking to Geico. The first statement and it being covered under the comprehensive portion of your policy will usually mean that it will not be counted against you and your rates will not go up.

Yes, your rates shouldn't go up if it wasn't your fault. If any insurance company raises your rates for things out of your control, find another insurance company.

Obviously, you will need a new wheel and tire, plus some minor body work. I hope that body shop is Tesla certified or they won't be able to get parts from Tesla. And hopefully the parts are in stock or you might have a long wait.

You want it to be covered under the comprehensive portion of your insurance and not the collision portion. Of course the metal object was "moving toward you and hit your car" and you did not "run into the metal object". If you do not understand the difference between these statements, please check with someone who understands insurance claims before speaking to Geico. The first statement and it being covered under the comprehensive portion of your policy will usually mean that it will not be counted against you and your rates will not go up.

Thanks for the heads up! All my documentation has me covered up comprehensive and the agent I spoke with yesterday also mentioned it during our call. Those are recorded lines. And of course that metal projectile - was moving towards me!

Yes, your rates shouldn't go up if it wasn't your fault. If any insurance company raises your rates for things out of your control, find another insurance company.

Obviously, you will need a new wheel and tire, plus some minor body work. I hope that body shop is Tesla certified or they won't be able to get parts from Tesla. And hopefully the parts are in stock or you might have a long wait.

I checked Tesla's website for the body shop I am using. I spoke with someone at the body shop to confirm they are an authorized Tesla repair shop. I am really curious about any body damage under the car. I'll be dropping my car off later today.

Does any have any experiences with Rosslyn Auto Body?

Wow, that 18" rim is brutalized. Not sure that can be repaired and kept as a spare. Was the bar identifiable? Something used for construction scaffolding, or public works department?

It looks like some off of building. I seem to remember a dump truck several cars ahead - but I can't pinpoint it that car. I still can't sentry mode to work either - I press the red button before removing the usb drive - and nothing records :-(

Quick update.

My car still hasn't been repaired.

I was away for vacation for 3 weeks and they are still waiting on body parts from Tesla. So far they have been able to procure 2/3 tires. Other than that - they are waiting for Tesla to ship parts. I've attached the estimate and supplement for those who'd like to review it. A bit of good news is, the batteries were not impacted!!

To say that I am disappointed is an understatement. I knew this would be long journey - but in 6 days - it will have been a 1 full month of my car being in the shop.

I guess this is to expected; newer cars/brand = lack of available parts (even third party) - but a month in the shop seems a bit excessive. Also the amount of parts being replaced seems excessive since there's no real damage found other than the wheels/tires and the few scrapes on the bumper and panels.

I am still on vacation euphoria - but I know the more I go without my car - the more pissed off I will become.

Why didn't you take a look under the car?

I was on the side of a busy road at night - there's was no point of even trying to risk my life to see the undercarriage.

Attachments

• Damage Inspection and Supplement.pdf
    84.7 KB · Views: 118
Update 9/25/2019

I contacted Rosslyn Auto Body today and learned that my car is close to being finished. They repainted parts and said things are looking good. The are waiting on one more wheel to be delivered from Tesla. If the wheels ships from Pennsylvania - I could get my car back by this weekend (once the check the alignment). If the wheel is shipping from California - it could be another week before I get my car back.

I also learned the only reason they have two wheels now is because there are other Model 3's in for repair, but are going to take longer to repair than my car- so they allocated those wheels to me.

Telsa really needs to work on their supply chain management. Looks like I will hit the one month mark of my car being in the shop.

Fingers crossed I get my car back on Friday (the shop is closed Saturday and Sunday).

@xxxholic This is no big consolation but If this repair comes in at one month, it's an improvement from how long i had to wait for repairs of my 2013 Model S a few years ago. It took months due to supply chain issues.

From what I've been told not many shops repair aluminum panels so what may look like a scratch results in the whole panel being replaced.

What did they end up replacing?

• Informative
Reactions: xxxholic