TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

So what does Tesla do now to repair the damage?

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by DDB, Jan 29, 2009.

1. DDB

DDB Member

I thought now would be a good time to talk about what Tesla could or should do--besides survive financially.

How about bring Martin back? I know we've talk to this at length, but it seems relatively simple for Tesla to ask Martin if he would come back and serve in some capacity. We know it won't be CEO. As a buyer in the EV market, I'd like to know the Company would keep the founder around because let's face it, he got it off the ground.

2. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

Even if they wanted Martin back he does not strike me as one to be taking a step backwards in his life. Just time to move on to something bigger and better. We all know that he is capable of more and being unfettered would certainly enhance that capability.

3. DrTaras

DrTaras R254->R725->S1364-->X769

You guys have over 700 posts between the 2 of you... I know that you know Tesla better than most. With all the bad blood said in the press some of which was Martin about Elon's Chairman abilities and his roles, but mostly Elon's personal attacks on Martin, that continue even this month, do you guys see reconciliation signs that I am missing? Seriously? :eek:

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

If post count means something... I don't see it happening...

5. bobw

bobw Tesla Reader

You gotta admit he's the founding funder,
    And after all the thud and blunder,
    If Tesla Motors don't go under,
    I think it'll be a 90 day wonder.

6. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

No - that was actually my point. Even if they wanted Martin back I am pretty sure that he would take a pass on that one and continue moving on to the bigger and better things that he has said he is starting .... He did a GREAT thing so why go back and try and do it again !!?!?!?!? especially after he got burned doing it .....

I think all this discussion about him going back is useless to have .....

7. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

I don't think Martin will ever return to Tesla.

But then again, I never thought Steve Jobs would return to Apple. Those bridges were burned down also.

8. shark2k

shark2k Member

In the Steve Jobs case, Mac wasn't following Jobs' original plan and was not "living up" to his high standards. Jobs did it to keep his company that he started from not being what he wanted. I'm not sure if Tesla is really at that point. Of course, anything is possible, but don't hold your breath (you might pass out :tongue:)

-Shark2k

9. Iggy

Iggy Member

It amazes me to this day how every one is surprised Steve Jobs jumped back in. I had a conversation with a well known CTO a few years back at the Waterfront Grill in Seattle. He used to work for Apple during the Pepsi man days. I told him years ago I told anyone who would listen that Jobs would come back and take care of his baby. Of course the CTO thought I was full of it and honestly no one listened to me years ago. One of the rare times I've been proven right. Just wish I had the money to put where my mouth was then.

10. NEWDL

NEWDL R#350 R#1323 Sig23 8136

Martin is not the answer. He helped get the company where it is today, but is gone and will not return. The answer is more sales...

11. trevorlsciact

trevorlsciact Member

yes, but how do we get there?

12. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Tesla Motors - Press Releases
    But, how to undercut the Leaf?

13. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#13 TEG, Apr 17, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  14. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Given the release of Leaf I wonder how BlueStar plans have changed? If at all.

Elon's response at the time (~ 18 months ago) was somewhat accurate.

15. mt2

mt2 Member

If at all.

I've been thinking that through this whole discussion. Tesla Motor's canned response is, "We welcome the competition if it puts more electric cars on the road". I don't think it's flippant. The market is huge and growing. Tesla will sell every car they can manufacture. And they'll learn lessons from the companies that get to market before them.

Maybe twenty years from now "competition" in the market-space will mean "competition", but right now all it means is more interest in electric cars.

16. SByer

SByer '08 #383

Agreed, we're so early on the adoption curve we haven't even reached validation stage yet! The Leaf will go a long way to catalyzing a charging network, which will only help other EVs and get the snowball rolling.

17. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I'm not counting CODA out either.