Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So what's the latest best practice to avoid AC smell happening in new car?

Brnn

Aug 5, 2019
United States
I'm aware a SW update was released that was supposed to address this issue. But are there still best practices that need to be followed to avoid the smell long term? Does anyone know what the SW update actually did?

Should Cabin Overheat be set to fan only, for example?

Any examples of newer cars getting the odor?

rhaekar

Nov 9, 2017
San Diego
Turn of AC for cabin overheat protection. If using your AC, especially if it's humid, when you're almost at your destination turn off the AC and re-circulation and let the filters and evap dry out.

Reactions: m3supra

m3supra

Closed
Mar 8, 2019
Bay Area
During the last 5 minutes of driving, turn off ac, turn off recirculate, turn fans up to 7 or so.

This brings in air from the outside To equalize the temperature difference between the environment and in the hvac system. This gives it a chance to dry out the evaporator.

XLR82XS

D M C
Jul 26, 2019
SWFL | Vegas
FWIW I always keep climate control on AUTO and have never had the smell. Cabin overheat always W/O A/C on. I live in humid south FL.
If there is any update maybe the system works it out on its own to dry the evaporator when it detects extra moisture?

Reactions: jdcollins5

Eno Deb

Aug 17, 2018
SF Bay Area
During the last 5 minutes of driving, turn off ac, turn off recirculate, turn fans up to 7 or so.
The car automatically runs the fans after about 10-15 minutes when you park it after having used the A/C. Turning the A/C off before you park may actually defeat this (haven't tried it though).

It's now been 3 months since I cleaned my evaporator and changed the filters. The smell hasn't returned. I'm not doing anything special.

Common_Loon

Feb 4, 2019
AUSTIN
I'm aware a SW update was released that was supposed to address this issue. But are there still best practices that need to be followed to avoid the smell long term? Does anyone know what the SW update actually did?

Should Cabin Overheat be set to fan only, for example?

Any examples of newer cars getting the odor?
Talked to a mobile service tech. He said use the fresh air setting rather than recirculate is the best way to prevent it. Particularly if it's dry outside.

jdcollins5

Aug 14, 2018
Wilmington, NC
AC on Auto always and no smell. The additional running of the fan on a past update also helps.

This is not a Tesla problem. Every car I have owned lately will do this if you stop the car with AC running without letting coils warm to prevent condensation puddling.

Krazaak

Jul 30, 2017
Charlotte, NC
AC on Auto always and no smell. The additional running of the fan on a past update also helps.

This is not a Tesla problem. Every car I have owned lately will do this if you stop the car with AC running without letting coils warm to prevent condensation puddling.
Technically, with the firmware change to actively dry the coils after use, the Tesla is even less likely to experience this problem vs. needing to remember to do it yourself before you stop the car.

Reactions: jdcollins5

WilliamG

Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
Talked to a mobile service tech. He said use the fresh air setting rather than recirculate is the best way to prevent it. Particularly if it's dry outside.

I never use recirculate. Just so nasty, and means windows steam up so much more. Fine, it may use a little more power to heat the car in the winter, but it's worth not a) getting sick, and b) being able to see out the windows.

Reactions: XLR82XS

rhaekar

Nov 9, 2017
San Diego

I never quite understood why this would work. If you're pulling in fresh air, that outside air is usually more humid than the recirculated air.

m3supra

Closed
Mar 8, 2019
Bay Area
I never quite understood why this would work. If you're pulling in fresh air, that outside air is usually more humid than the recirculated air.

The way I understand it, especially with ICE vehicles, is to equalize the temperature between the hvac and the environment. Having your car on recirculating creates a cold and closed space while the environment is hot (especially the engine bays of ICE vehicles).

If you shut your car off in that state, the air condenses and creates moisture. There is limited routes for the air to escape as well since the inlet vent is closed.

That's how I understood it, but I'm no expert. It's been good practice to do this on all vehicles including ICE vehicles. BMWs are notorious for this issue because some models always turn recirculate on when in AUTO.

Reactions: rhaekar

rhaekar

Nov 9, 2017
San Diego
The way I understand it, especially with ICE vehicles, is to equalize the temperature between the hvac and the environment. Having your car on recirculating creates a cold and closed space while the environment is hot (especially the engine bays of ICE vehicles).

If you shut your car off in that state, the air condenses and creates moisture. There is limited routes for the air to escape as well since the inlet vent is closed.

That's how I understood it, but I'm no expert. It's been good practice to do this on all vehicles including ICE vehicles. BMWs are notorious for this issue because some models always turn recirculate on when in AUTO.

That totally makes sense. I've done some home remodeling myself and when doing construction, anywhere hot air meets cold surfaces it creates condensation on the cold surface so that's when you need to introduce a vapor barrier to prevent mold growth.

Reactions: m3supra

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC