TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

So what's the latest best practice to avoid AC smell happening in new car?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Brnn, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Brnn

Brnn Member

I'm aware a SW update was released that was supposed to address this issue. But are there still best practices that need to be followed to avoid the smell long term? Does anyone know what the SW update actually did?

Should Cabin Overheat be set to fan only, for example?

Any examples of newer cars getting the odor?

2. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

I've never experienced the smell but as you mentioned and I only utilize cabin overheat with fan only setting.

3. rhaekar

rhaekar Member

Turn of AC for cabin overheat protection. If using your AC, especially if it's humid, when you're almost at your destination turn off the AC and re-circulation and let the filters and evap dry out.

• Like x 1
  4. m3supra

m3supra Closed

During the last 5 minutes of driving, turn off ac, turn off recirculate, turn fans up to 7 or so.

This brings in air from the outside To equalize the temperature difference between the environment and in the hvac system. This gives it a chance to dry out the evaporator.

• Informative x 2
  5. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

FWIW I always keep climate control on AUTO and have never had the smell. Cabin overheat always W/O A/C on. I live in humid south FL.
    If there is any update maybe the system works it out on its own to dry the evaporator when it detects extra moisture?

• Like x 1
  6. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

The car automatically runs the fans after about 10-15 minutes when you park it after having used the A/C. Turning the A/C off before you park may actually defeat this (haven't tried it though).

It's now been 3 months since I cleaned my evaporator and changed the filters. The smell hasn't returned. I'm not doing anything special.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  7. MacGreiner

There are so many existing threads for this problem and confirmed solutions.

I'm not trying to be snippy, but try this - Search Results | Tesla Motors Club

MODS - Can we combine all these threads?

• Like x 1
  8. Common_Loon

Common_Loon Member

Talked to a mobile service tech. He said use the fresh air setting rather than recirculate is the best way to prevent it. Particularly if it's dry outside.

9. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Member

AC on Auto always and no smell. The additional running of the fan on a past update also helps.

This is not a Tesla problem. Every car I have owned lately will do this if you stop the car with AC running without letting coils warm to prevent condensation puddling.

10. crackers8199

crackers8199 Active Member

is there anywhere that has kilma cleaner actually in stock right now? the only place i've seen is amazon but only in a case of 12, which is obviously overkill...

11. 08micev

08micev Member

There has been a software update to this months back. You just need to clean your coils with a foam cleaner.

12. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

Technically, with the firmware change to actively dry the coils after use, the Tesla is even less likely to experience this problem vs. needing to remember to do it yourself before you stop the car.

• Like x 1
  13. WilliamG

WilliamG Active Member

I never use recirculate. Just so nasty, and means windows steam up so much more. Fine, it may use a little more power to heat the car in the winter, but it's worth not a) getting sick, and b) being able to see out the windows.

• Like x 1
  14. rhaekar

rhaekar Member

I never quite understood why this would work. If you're pulling in fresh air, that outside air is usually more humid than the recirculated air.

15. m3supra

m3supra Closed

The way I understand it, especially with ICE vehicles, is to equalize the temperature between the hvac and the environment. Having your car on recirculating creates a cold and closed space while the environment is hot (especially the engine bays of ICE vehicles).

If you shut your car off in that state, the air condenses and creates moisture. There is limited routes for the air to escape as well since the inlet vent is closed.

That's how I understood it, but I'm no expert. It's been good practice to do this on all vehicles including ICE vehicles. BMWs are notorious for this issue because some models always turn recirculate on when in AUTO.

• Like x 1
  16. rhaekar

rhaekar Member

That totally makes sense. I've done some home remodeling myself and when doing construction, anywhere hot air meets cold surfaces it creates condensation on the cold surface so that's when you need to introduce a vapor barrier to prevent mold growth.

• Like x 1