Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, why does Tesla have such a hard time painting cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
California has 40 million people - you are off by 25%. If you really are an economist (and not just playing one on TMC), I shudder to think how fast and loose you are with your quantitative data analysis.

View attachment 339201

Lol - I don’t make enterprise resource planning decisions based on California’s population. 30 mil, 40 mil, 50 mil, 5th in gdp, 6th in gdp has no micro bearing on Tesla’s paint woes.

My point is California is not business friendly for automobile manufacturing hence no one else does it. Make sense? I’ll repeat again, no other company makes cars in California on a significant scale.

While I don’t work in automotive, I know emperically my thesis is probably accurate based on firms acting in a rational manner.

I’m waiting for someone who knows Tesla painting authoritatively to confirm or deny my thesis. Plenty of other links posted earlier in the thread support my assertions.

If proven California’s business climate has no relevance to Tesla’s shoddy paint quality, I am happy to admit I am wrong and adjust my stance accordingly.

Which colors are those? Are you saying certain colors are softer than others?

I don't remember which colors, but yes that is what I've read in the past. Something about certain colors being almost impossible to use in California (explains why Tesla dropped some past colors?). A quick google search hasn't found my vaguely remembered source so I can't swear to accuracy of that statement.

I don't remember which colors, but yes that is what I've read in the past. Something about certain colors being almost impossible to use in California (explains why Tesla dropped some past colors?). A quick google search hasn't found my vaguely remembered source so I can't swear to accuracy of that statement.
That sounds like an urban legend. There are VOC limits for coatings and fees for coatings that emit more than 5g/L, but even that only applies to parts of California where pollution has been and is a problem and an Air Quality Management District was set up. There are plenty of places in the state that don't have these restrictions.

http://www.aqmd.gov/docs/default-source/planning/architectural-coatings/tableofstandards.pdf
Architectural Coatings

Edit - Here are the specifics for the Fremont plant.

http://www.baaqmd.gov/~/media/files...a1438_08_2015_mr_finalpermit_02-pdf.pdf?la=en

Last edited:
Lol - I don’t make enterprise resource planning decisions based on California’s population. 30 mil, 40 mil, 50 mil, 5th in gdp, 6th in gdp has no micro bearing on Tesla’s paint woes.

My point is California is not business friendly for automobile manufacturing hence no one else does it. Make sense? I’ll repeat again, no other company makes cars in California on a significant scale.

While I don’t work in automotive, I know emperically my thesis is probably accurate based on firms acting in a rational manner.

I’m waiting for someone who knows Tesla painting authoritatively to confirm or deny my thesis. Plenty of other links posted earlier in the thread support my assertions.

If proven California’s business climate has no relevance to Tesla’s shoddy paint quality, I am happy to admit I am wrong and adjust my stance accordingly.
First, it’s spelled “empirically.”

Second, only 12 U.S. states assemble automobiles. They happen to be located in areas where the cost of living is very low: Alabama, Mississippi, Indiana, Texas, Ohio, Michigan, Tennessee et al. In these states, housing costs are very low as are wages. Many of these states lack the inherent attraction that drives up housing prices (e.g. good weather). This is why places like Hawai’i and California are also expensive - they are inherently desirable places to live. It has very little to do with tax policy or environmental regulation. As others have said regarding paint, Germany and other EU countries have similarly strict enviro regs.

EDIT: postscript: there are actuallly TWO automakers in California. Tesla and Karma Automotive in Moreno Valley :eek:.

Its worse than talk radio has you believe. I live here and I know. Living with these libs in their group think bubble is torture. If it wasn't for the good weather and jobs I would be out of here.

Want some pictures of what you can do in Texas with one California rent’s worth of money? It’s obscene!

Ex Californian here, same as half of this town. :)

Want some pictures of what you can do in Texas with one California rent’s worth of money? It’s obscene!

Ex Californian here, same as half of this town. :)
Duh. Did you know in most of the US, you can buy a new house for $70-150/sf (land included)? You can buy a 3000sf in suburban Houston for $250K. Ditto in metro Atlanta and Detroit. In California, you can’t even build a house at trade cost for that price. In LA/OC, average new home build costs are around $275/sf - land sold separately.

If you fancy yourself a s a conservative, then grade school economics and a simple logic chain shows that California is more desirable/attractive place to live.

Consider:
1. Given: price is the balancing mechanism of supply and demand (Econ 101)
2. That is, the higher the price, the more demand there is for a given product (eg housing) at each point along the supply curve.
3. Demand is driven by desire/want.
4. An object of desire is desirable.

And consider:
5. California has high housing prices.
6. Therefore, since prices are high, there must be high demand for housing in California at each point along the supply curve.
7. Ergo, it must follow than since California housing is in high demand and things in demand are desirable (4).), California housing is desirable.
QED.

Subsidies are obviously a zero sum game with winners and losers.

That's exactly not the definition of a zero sum game. I'm starting to think you're using phrases you don't understand the meaning of. To be fair, I wouldn't expect an economist in california that hates california to bother with facts anyway.

You're saying that as if it's a bad thing. :)

:D

Yes, it is.

Going to need some evidence.

Then that's the problem right there. They need TWO such systems, one standing on each side of the conveyor belt as the cars roll by under neon lights. A third system on hot standby is needed for the pee breaks of the two primary systems.

I forgot about the robot pee breaks!

I watched more than a dozen cars being delivered as I was waiting for mine. I looked for the known mfg issues on all of them. My car, which I love to complain about around here, was the best one of that batch. It's not blown out of proportion, certain things are just poorly done on a significant percentage of delivered vehicles.

I don't argue that. I do argue that the severity isn't as bad when compared to other companies.

4 mils is an absolutely huge variance when it comes to fitting doors. Allow me to point out that in my high-tech POS, the interior pressure varies with speed, i.e. at high speed the dynamic pressure at the outer end of these fine panel and window gaps leads to a drop in interior pressure (see Bernoulli law) and one can physically feel this pressure variance in the ears. I never felt this before in any car I ever bought. I'm hoping the problem will go away when they re-align my doors next week.

As evidence for my argument that people are complaining about things they don't understand, 4 mils is not at all 4mm. In fact, it's just over a tenth of a millimeter. This is what I'm saying. Also, 4mm (less than half a centimeter) is not a huge variance in manufacturing of large mass production assemblies like these. These aren't high tolerance devices, they're body panels.

Tesla paints cars in California. California limits the type of paint you can use more than any other state. All the other car manufacturers avoid the issue by painting cars outside California.

Other manufacturers moved for a lot of reasons that had nothing at all to do with paint. Like. At all. They closed because of the high market pay compared to other cheaper states, the high property cost compared to other cheaper states, and for tax breaks for bringing jobs into depressed economies.

Ford Motor Company Assembly Plant - Wikipedia stopped making Fords there in 1953.
Maywood Assembly - Wikipedia stopped making Lincoln/Mercury in 1957.
Long Beach Assembly - Wikipedia stopped making Fords in 1958.
Oakland Assembly - Wikipedia stopped making Chevys in 1963.
Los Angeles (Maywood) Assembly - Wikipedia stopped making Chryslers in 1971.
Los Angeles Assembly - Wikipedia stopped making Fords in 1980.
South Gate Assembly - Wikipedia stopped making Chevys in 1982.
San Jose Assembly Plant - Wikipedia stopped making Fords in 1983.
Van Nuys Assembly - Wikipedia stopped making Chevys in 1992.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TABC,_Inc. stopped making Toyota truck beds in 2004. (not sure if those were painted or just shipped raw)

If you think CA paint laws existed in the 1950s through the 80s, you're beyond confused. The EPA didn't even exist until the 70s when Nixon created it. And just FYI, several countries (not least of which Canada where most US vehicles are manufactured) also effectively require water-thinned paints. And so do several other states. It turns out, using flammable, cancer-causing chemicals that destroy the ozone layer and the environment around the plant isn't super popular with employees or local residents.

Until such time as Tesla moves car manufacturing outside of California they'll always have some of the softest least durable paints in some colors.

Soft like German automaker paint? I know Maybach and Porsche are known for their soft paint. :rolleyes: Actually, I do know a Porsche owner that got their car re-sprayed because Porsche does a shitty job, but not because of the paint's thinner.

German manufacturers have used waterborne paint for decades, and a few years ago the BMW plant in South Carolina was the first to use it in the US. I am not aware of any widespread issues with their cars.

BINGO! Someone that bothered to look up an easily discoverable fact! Well done. I like your style.

Occam’s razor would tell us that a company that can produce space age, military tech should have no problems painting a frieken car.

Well now I know for sure you're using terms you don't know the meaning of. Also, you don't seem to understand "military tech" has no place in this conversation, and it's usually used as a derogatory term in manufacturing because it's usually lowest bidder garbage. Also, Tesla doesn't do space stuff, SpaceX does. And SpaceX isn't painting cars for Tesla.

The only counter to the above is scalability issues.

Whiiiiiich is what I said back on Page 1.

The counter to scalability limitations is to scale up or out. Or adjust the manufacturing process to reduce the defect rate - unless an external factor prevents them from doing so.

You keep using phrases in inappropriate ways. Can you explain to us what scaling a painting section up would mean, and what scaling it out would mean? Compare and contrast for extra credit.

Last edited:
I’ve found after reading numerous posts of his that his economic training (if indeed we are to believe he’s had any) is fairly superficial and probably equivalent to a high school level macro course or at best, an intro level college course. His arguments lack nuance and rest largely on cliches. Maybe that’s fine for his day job or a policy advisor gig in the current administration.

If I can produce an Economics degree not from Trump University (lol), you can donate $1000-$10,000-$100,000 to Trump's re-election campaign? Pick any number, I can cover it.

You can pick a charity of your choice if I can't.

I'll give you one more piece of info to help you make your choice. I never took high school economics. The reason is because I left high school after my freshman year.

I either graduated early or dropped out.

Make your bet accordingly if you got the balls for it. ;)

What's $1,000 to shut me up? I'd go for at least that.

Last edited:
If I can produce an Economics degree not from Trump University (lol), you can donate $1000-$10,000-$100,000 to Trump's re-election campaign? Pick any number, I can cover it.

You can pick a charity of your choice if I can't.

I'll give you one more piece of info to help you make your choice. I never took high school economics. The reason is because I left high school after my freshman year.

I either graduated early or dropped out.

Make your bet accordingly if you got the balls for it. ;)

What's $1,000 to shut me up? I'd go for at least that.
I believe it’s “you’ve.”

Counterparty risk.

P.S. Some free advice from Proverbs/Lincoln/Twain: it’s better to be thought a fool than to speak (or TMC post) and remove all doubt.

• Funny
Reactions: DrDabbles
I believe it’s “you’ve.”

Counterparty risk.

P.S. Some free advice from Proverbs/Lincoln/Twain: it’s better to be thought a fool than to speak (or TMC post) and remove all doubt.

No risk at all. I can’t be a supposed ERP economist if I cannot think through how to complete basic transactions and ensure risk mitigation for both parties.

Someone will escrow this for entertainment. I’ll make my deposit first. Shall we?

Once your deposit is secured I’ll even let you request the records yourself.

The only risk you face is asymmetric information. You’ve made an assertion which you have no idea is true or not. Unfortunately for you and fortunately for me, I DO happen to know.

I can assure you that I’m not an English teacher, and I'm sure we can mutually agree. However, we’re not betting on that. ;)

Last edited:
The ignore list is a great feature on this site. It really is.

I lost a resource in case I need to disagree with someone on vehicle paint emission standards and regulation?

upload_2018-9-29_22-59-30.png

No risk at all. I can’t be a supposed ERP economist if I cannot think through how to complete basic transactions and ensure risk mitigation for both parties.

Someone will escrow this for entertainment. I’ll make my deposit first. Shall we?

Once your deposit is secured I’ll even let you request the records yourself.

The only risk you face is asymmetric information. You’ve made an assertion which you have no idea is true or not. Unfortunately for you and fortunately for me, I DO happen to know.

I can assure you that I’m not an English teacher, and I'm sure we can mutually agree. However, we’re not betting on that. ;)

I withdraw as taunting and baiting for cash is not good natured.
Proving something that happened two decades while easy is pointless.
Defending internet honor is immature, and unproductive.

Last edited:
Nonetheless, that is the whole point of the internet! (plenty of XKCDs to prove that)

What, are we going to start ignoring each other now, quit bantering and, $DEITY forbid, go back to work and be productive?

Why would anyone want to do such a thing?

I just prefer to banter with people that are enjoyable to banter with. People that credential wave, or just make things up and try to use their credentials to pass them off as facts are boring and offer nothing of value to the conversation.

• Love
Reactions: Daniel in SD
Why did my thread about painting cars degenerate into an argument about manufacturing in California? Can any of you tell me how the State affects the quality of a paint job??? If so, I might think it was a worthwhile argument. Otherwise I think this thread is no longer worth pursuing for me anyway.