Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, why does Tesla have such a hard time painting cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. I never thought of this as a reason. But they don't HAVE to rush these cars through paint. Well, thanks to the endless greed of our Ponzi scheme financial system, I guess they do. So I will offer a counterpoint and say it's Wall Street that is causing these defects.

I’m a economist so a scientist of resources and production. Not one of those fake Nobel theorists but one that solves everyday problems.

I do agree with you that Wall Street is a big problem. I support Tesla private so there isn’t artificial deadlines.

There is one other element and that is the fault of the government. EV tax subsidies which phase out and change consumer spending behavior.

Tesla has a timeline to maximize the subsidies for as many customers as possible. So the customers have fault by demanding a bigger rebate subsidy over quality. They push Tesla to make cars and here we are.

Accuracy first - speed and efficiently follows.

Speed first, quality/accuracy, effeciency suffers.

Classic production ramp dichotomy.

Speeding up without scaling out or scaling up is asking for the problems we are seeing.

Throw in hell bent GAAP profitability for Q3, Q4 it’s #teamnosleep all around at Tesla Inc.

Last edited:
California has the highest manufacturing output of any state. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
2014 State Manufacturing Data Table | NAM
I really don't get all the California hate.

Obviously there is some tongue in cheek and of course California is going to manufacture SOMETHING because it’s the 5th largest GDP in the world. 50 million people.

Compare absolute advantage and comparative advantage. California is a poor place to do it in absolute terms.

I was born in California and I have never left California on a permanent basis.

Just telling it how it is. (With a little bit of exaggeration and saltiness at California’s anti business climate)

Last edited:
I'm going to assume incomplete
Obviously there is some tongue in cheek and of course California is going to manufacture SOMETHING because it’s the 5th largest GDP in the world.

Compare absolute advantage and comparative advantage. California is a poor place to do it in absolute terms.

Just telling it how it is.
Basic economic theory says that businesses behave in a rational manner and California would not be the largest manufacturer in the US if it were truly the worst place to do manufacturing. California has its own comparative advantages such as access to a highly skilled workforce.

Paint issues should get resolved over time, much like how early production vehicles were all about panel gap/alignment issues that got resolved halfway through the year.
Panel gap/alignment issues got resolved?!?! Keep dreaming. Just got my car 2 weeks ago VIN 99,xxx and it riddled with gap and alignment issues. I have misaligned doors, misaligned trunk, misaligned rear lights, misaligned charger port which sometimes doesn't stay closed because it is so out of alignment. I have gap issues near the frunk, seal alignment issues, dust flakes stuck in paint, scratches, etc. The build quality is as bad as ever.

If you want to see how cars are painted

As an automation engineer, that is straight up beauty in motion.

As for Tesla, I just don't think they have the time to make another paint line. Some of the edge paint issue cases are the worst I've seen in a car per $ of paint. Their QC has got to be shorter imo than their competitors per car exiting the factory and are

A.) Pushing the cars out without perfection with the hopes that some people will take the car or not notice/care, thus hitting delivery goals for Q3.
B.) Pushing the cars out without perfection with the hopes that some people will notice and still take delivery since they are fans, want their car already and will deal with it at the SC, and still hitting delivery goals for Q3.
C.) Pushing out some cars without any paint issues.

Reactions: Sean Wagner
Panel gap/alignment issues got resolved?!?! Keep dreaming. Just got my car 2 weeks ago VIN 99,xxx and it riddled with gap and alignment issues. I have misaligned doors, misaligned trunk, misaligned rear lights, misaligned charger port which sometimes doesn't stay closed because it is so out of alignment. I have gap issues near the frunk, seal alignment issues, dust flakes stuck in paint, scratches, etc. The build quality is as bad as ever.

May I ask why you accepted it rather than reject it?

Possibly because when your X was produced they were putting 2,000 cars through the same paint shop now doing over 7,000. Just a guess.

To properly evaluate your thesis we would need to see if X paint quality diminished with the Model 3 surge.

Or if they end up being independent variables but we have no way of knowing.

I’m just raging we don’t have more paint lines. Grrrrrr

Still salty at the California Air Resource Board giving me hell to implement backup diesel generators to power a critical data center.

There is a school within bla bla bla and it throws smoke in the air when it runs a weekly test cycle every five minutes once a week bla bla bla.

Dumb motherfrackers said this with a straight face when more than 500,000 vehicles pass through a highway 100 yards away from the backup generator site.

What I don't get is -- when they've so much trouble painting the cars, why don't they protect all the painted panels on finished cars with plastic films during transportation. I don't see how using less plastic protective film is a good trade-off for using more paint re-painting scratches and chips and irritating customers.

Some people are more hyper sensitive to a car paints job. But I can say, more people who have clear paint issues goes to the forum to voice their discontents. I wonder if you have taken all the model 3 produced, how many actual cars have bad paint jobs. I am curious about the percentage of bad paint job as I have seen some pretty bad pics.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
Every car I have had has had factory paint defects. Some were worse than others but all of them had something.
None of the cars I've bought new (or leased, in the case of 1 car) ever have had any.

I can't speak to all the vehicles my parents have owned but I distinctly recall bubbles in the paint above the grille on one car my parents bought new. I think it was the 1986 Olds Cutlass Ciera they bought. I don't recall seeing any their 1996 Camry nor 07 Altima Hybrid. '91 Camry might've also been paint defect free.

May I ask why you accepted it rather than reject it?
1. Because they said they can fix it (its in the shop now).
2. Because I looked at others in the lot being delivered that day and they all had similar issues, some even worse, so waiting for another was not a guarantee of anything but a delay.
3. Because who knows when I would have gotten a replacement. Could be months delay since I had a unique config.

In any respect it wasn't a good experience, knowing that I gave them a perfectly undamaged stack of $75K and in return I received a sub par car.

"California" is an acceptable answer for any reason a manufacturer moves out of state or overseas.

As was already stated here, CA has one of the largest manufacturing sectors in the US. Companies move around the country for lots of reasons, not least of which can be tax incentives and cheaper labor. Nothing you've said actually carries any weight, and you've provided zero evidence that CA anti-pollution laws are causing paint defects.

my answer makes more sense than any one else’s as I provided evidence on California being unfriendly at everything business.

You haven't provided evidence. You've provided your anti-california opinion.

Considering the cost and complexity of paint is less than military grade battery packs -
Why are there not a dozen paint facilities?

First, Tesla doesn't make the batteries. Second, it turns out that different processes can have different types and levels of complexity. I wouldn't have imagined that I'd have to explain that to an adult, but here we are. You can brush your teeth, why can't you write software?

I’m a economist so a scientist of resources and production. Not one of those fake Nobel theorists but one that solves everyday problems.

:rolleyes:

There is one other element and that is the fault of the government. EV tax subsidies which phase out and change consumer spending behavior.

As an economist, I would have imagined that you would understand the value of incentivizing positive consumer behaviors and rewarding companies for keeping manufacturing and design within a nation and a state. I'm guessing some of your clearly conservative, anti-california, anti-government, probably internet libertarianism is bleeding into this conversation.

Tesla has a timeline to maximize the subsidies for as many customers as possible. So the customers have fault by demanding a bigger rebate subsidy over quality. They push Tesla to make cars and here we are.

That isn't the crux of the rush. The rush is that over 500,000 people world wide (so US incentives have zero impact for more than half of them) put down reservations. They need to produce cars before competition shows up or consumers lose interest, and then need to become profitable ASAP to steady their share price. Again, I'm surprised to be explaining supply and demand and global markets to an economist, but here we are.

Accuracy first - speed and efficiently follows.

Speed first, quality/accuracy, effeciency suffers.

Classic production ramp dichotomy.

Speeding up without scaling out or scaling up is asking for the problems we are seeing.

The problems we are seeing, most of which have been solved already, have been down to Tesla trying to reinvent manufacturing. Elon and other Tesla representatives have admitted as much. They've removed some of the more foolish attempts to automate, simplified line areas, and behold production has sped up and become more predictable.

Obviously there is some tongue in cheek and of course California is going to manufacture SOMETHING because it’s the 5th largest GDP in the world. 50 million people.

And yet, Tesla is there propping up an industry in a place that had been abandoned by other manufacturers for lower labor and land costs so they could expand the physical footprint of their facilities. Which Tesla did in Sparks.

Just telling it how it is. (With a little bit of exaggeration and saltiness at California’s anti business climate)

Let me promise you, California isn't as bad as talk radio has you believe.

As an automation engineer, that is straight up beauty in motion.

Agreed. I used to want to work on manufacturing automation systems. I think they're super fascinating to watch!

As for Tesla, I just don't think they have the time to make another paint line. Some of the edge paint issue cases are the worst I've seen in a car per $ of paint. Their QC has got to be shorter imo than their competitors per car exiting the factory

Adding another line might actually not be physically possible based on space requirements. So it could be a pointless argument anyway. But, building a paint shop versus trying to speed up a paint system already running at its maximum speed, building the space is going to be faster.

As for the QC processes, I don't know what Tesla does, but they need to do much better in every category. I presume they're attempting to rely on some AI computer vision system, but it sucks if they are. And the presumably human training system is not providing proper feedback fast enough to train the neural network to the level they need.

A.) Pushing the cars out without perfection with the hopes that some people will take the car or not notice/care, thus hitting delivery goals for Q3.

There is no manufacturer putting out perfect cars. And paradoxically, the more expensive the car brand the less likely it won't have major flaws. So, for something like a Ferrari or a Lambo, expect several major flaws. For something like a Honda, expect several small ones. Tesla is in between hand-build boutique brand and mass production, so hopefully the trend moves down and to the right.

B.) Pushing the cars out without perfection with the hopes that some people will notice and still take delivery since they are fans, want their car already and will deal with it at the SC, and still hitting delivery goals for Q3.

There may be several issues that are just easier to rework at a SC rather than the factory, too. But also consider, several owners are reading forums like this, seeing things get blown out of proportion, and then blowing their own miniscule issues out of proportion. I've seen complaining of panel gaps with a variance of between one and four millimeters. There are a lot of people that have never ever looked at this kind of thing, and now that they're being told to they see something that doesn't exist.

C.) Pushing out some cars without any paint issues.

It would seem that the vast majority of vehicles are delivered without paint issues, since most cars aren't being repainted.

Reactions: Dr. J and SoCalGuy
As an economist, I would have imagined that you would understand the value of incentivizing positive consumer behaviors and rewarding companies for keeping manufacturing and design within a nation and a state. I'm guessing some of your clearly conservative, anti-california, anti-government, probably internet libertarianism is bleeding into this conversation.

Sigh, so much to pick apart but I’ll start here.
Subsidies are obviously a zero sum game with winners and losers. Add in international variables and we now have WTO and Protectionalism issues to contend with.

My point partly why we have paint issues is how the subsidies negatively effect Tesla and not help them. Musk himself said that the EV credits hurt Tesla more than they help them. While I do not agree with everything Musk says and does I understood his economics acumen by saying what he did.

It’s not strictly about the subsidies itself but the nature of them. The subsidies do not apply equal weight for all manufactures.

Jan 1st 2019, every auto except for Tesla offers the full $7,500 tax credit subsidy. Not really $7,500 as ymmv depending on marginal tax rate but I digress.

Tesla now faces a 50% subsidy loss putting it at a competitive disadvantage.

Tesla specifically engineered their sales so they stocked on RWD Model 3 and capped sales in Q2 so they would not hit the phase out clock until July 2018.

Tesla only has 2 quarters to maximize the number of cars that qualify for that $7500 subsidies. If given the choice between a perfect car in 2019 with half subsidy or taking a risk in 2018 with full subsidies it’s obvious the consumer has spoken. The worst is yet to come. You will see the mad house in December.

If the subsidy was constructed in a way that did not penalize first movers like Tesla they would not be trying to shove sub standard vehicles through obvious bottlenecks like the paint facilities. Elon himself mentioned multiple times the paint shop was the holdup.

Due to unequal subsidy market manipulation we are seeing Tesla desperately raising costs whenever they can on demand inelastic options so they can “discount” the vehicle by 3500 1H2019. 2000 off AWD and 1500 off paint seems to match perfectly with the 3500 subsidy loss. Coincidence? I think not..

If you cannot comprehend the above, there is no point to continue a discussion with you. Some people tend to go irrationally ape *sugar* if they *think* someone does not tow the line with their political views and make assumptions on political persuasion. The above discussion on strategy and game theory I discussed in the most neutral terms possible to avoid partisan bickering. Tesla’s strategy of slow playing deliveries in Q2, maximizing Q3 deliveries, moving Q3 expenditures as Q4 opex is in plain sight for all to see.

Utility maximiziers like myself do not see the world as a team sport when it comes to politics. It’s completely obvious that regulatory measures impede businesses from their maximum potential. Government needs to manage public sector goods, infrastructure, military, egregious negative externalities.

The rest, utility maximizing, rational agent private sector does a far more efficient job.

Tesla is not free to do as they see fit to correct the paint issues.

Last edited:
I don't know that Tesla has more paint issues than anybody else. I do know that Tesla buyers are hyper-sensitive about this because the Internet tells them to be. I also know Elon wants to increase the throughput of the paint section. To do that, they will need more paint stations though. The flow rate of the sprayers is basically fixed, curing times are basically fixed, and so throughput of the existing system is capped at a certain level.

If you want to see how cars are painted

The way passenger car sales numbers of going for BMW and Tesla, maybe Tesla could buy that paint facility for a good price.

1. Because they said they can fix it (its in the shop now).
2. Because I looked at others in the lot being delivered that day and they all had similar issues, some even worse, so waiting for another was not a guarantee of anything but a delay.
3. Because who knows when I would have gotten a replacement. Could be months delay since I had a unique config.

In any respect it wasn't a good experience, knowing that I gave them a perfectly undamaged stack of $75K and in return I received a sub par car.

Interesting. Reading forums suggest paint/gap issues are widespread. Guess I got lucky (until I got hit). Vin 303xx, pearl white multi coat and the paint was visibly perfect. Zero defects. Gaps as good as any car I’ve ever owned. Detailer confirmed and only required light polish prior to PPF and Ceramic.
Then again not many post how few if any issues they have.

Reactions: gilscales
One thing is they have changed their paint process twice. First they were manually doing it, and the paint shop became their bottleneck. Cars were just sitting there waiting to be painted, not good for hitting production goals. Hitting production goals became their #1 priority due to investor pressure. As in, hit the Model 3 production goals or go bankwupt.

Then they changed to robotics, and at least once the paint shop got sabotaged. Doesn't seem like the paint shop is the bottleneck any longer, so now they just gotta fix whatever problems there are and hopefully they can improve it.

They've only been mass producing cars for around 9-10 months. Paint issues should get resolved over time, much like how early production vehicles were all about panel gap/alignment issues that got resolved halfway through the year. As for why other companies are doing ok well they've been mass producing for much longer so they've already got the system down. But please don't call them flawless, ask any reputable detailers they'll tell you they often have to do paint correction on factory vehicles before laying PPF & ceramic coating.
Exactly this. "Paint correction" at detailing shops was not invented with the Model 3.