Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So you need a 220 volt outlet installed...here's what I found

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By "it", I take it you mean the Tesla Model S UMC, and by "dryer outlet" I take it you mean a NEMA 10-30.

Here you go:
NEMA 14-50R to 10-30P Adapter
This is dangerous and incomplete advice without including the fact that the car will think it's a 50A circuit and try to draw 40A. If you use this you must manually turn down the amps to 24A. Please read the home charging FAQ or the many threads about this. It is not a good idea to use this as your regular charging method because you may forget to do this one day (and you can't depend on the car to remember the setting).

• Informative
Reactions: linkster
Recent experience has given me some confidence in Tesla's safety features. A friend offered to let me charge on his shop circuit, which he said was 220V 20A. I duly set the car to 80% of that, 16A. Within two minutes charging stopped. The 20A breaker hadn't flipped, but the UMC had gone red. Inspection showed that the circuit wire couldn't handle more than 16A, and I suppose the UMC detected this. I dialed the car down to 12A and charged overnight without any more problems.

High current is dangerous, full stop. But we have pretty good defense in depth from the car charger setting, the UMC, and the breaker panel.

Recent experience has given me some confidence in Tesla's safety features. A friend offered to let me charge on his shop circuit, which he said was 220V 20A. I duly set the car to 80% of that, 16A. Within two minutes charging stopped. The 20A breaker hadn't flipped, but the UMC had gone red. Inspection showed that the circuit wire couldn't handle more than 16A, and I suppose the UMC detected this. I dialed the car down to 12A and charged overnight without any more problems.

High current is dangerous, full stop. But we have pretty good defense in depth from the car charger setting, the UMC, and the breaker panel.
That's nice but not relevant to this discussion. You said you set the car to charge at 16A. The problem comes when someone forgets to set the amps down as you did. Even worse is if someone doesn't even know to set the amps down when they read a recommendation here about an adapter without a warning about setting the amps down manually. That's what I was objecting to.

• Informative
Reactions: linkster
That's nice but not relevant to this discussion. You said you set the car to charge at 16A. The problem comes when someone forgets to set the amps down as you did. Even worse is if someone doesn't even know to set the amps down when they read a recommendation here about an adapter without a warning about setting the amps down manually. That's what I was objecting to.

Yes, high current is dangerous and you're right to warn about that. But I think you missed the point of my story, which was that the safety features of the UMC protected me in a potentially dangerous situation. I started at 16A because the circuit was labeled 20A — but it wasn't really. The UMC detected this and shut down to prevent overloading the circuit.

Reactions: melindav
is there a adapter so u could use it in the dryer outlet? its 220v. thanks

Why, yes there is. But, you can't find one in stores.

I just made one today. I went to a used appliance dealer and got a used dryer cord that matched the outlet in my garage. $5.00 for a used cord. $29 for new at Home Depot. Then went to Leows and got a NEMA 14-50 box. I really should have gotten the cable one off ebay. Search Camco Power Cord Plug. About $10.00

So, it's a 220 volt on a 30 amp circuit breaker. So, I set my Tesla to charge at 27 amps. It's charging right now at 20 mph. So, an overnight charge will fill me up for daily driving. Total cost is under $20, and I have the adapter for travel.