Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Socal to Reno drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll update everyone here who has helped me this weekend, we will be driving back to LA this Friday.

Thank you all, like I said this is an awesome car.

The optimal way from a charging standpoint is to get to a charger with 5-20% charge and then charge only to about 60-65% (or even less) to get to the next charger with 5-20% charge. In theory, you'll only take between 15-20 minutes at each station doing this so adding a stop or 2 will still be much more efficient. The charge rates are so much faster under 60% and tend to drop off rapidly after that. Good luck

I found out really quick the hypothetical trip is nothing compared to real life driving and since it was a windy day got wind warnings going through central Cali. And that also using the AC sucks your battery life as well. And I used autopilot almost 95% of the trip.
The hypothetical trip plan never goes below 20% battery, so even with significant headwinds, you're likely to be fine. AC doesn't actually use that much power unless it's very hot.

Generally speaking, many short stops charging from 10% to no more then 60% will reduce your total travel time.

You can configure how close to 0% you want to arrive at a charger in ABRP. I've found that ABRP is quite conservative when it comes to consumption. 10% arrival is perfectly reasonable in warm weather.

Reactions: Lucas007
OP also as you get CLOSER to your SC (if you don't mind speeding) - you can gun it to the next charging stop since you know there won't be range concerns! On a LA < --> SF trip I would aim to get to each stop with 10% (based on ABRP) to account for speeding + headwinds. Charging from the bottom of pack is super fast.

OP also as you get CLOSER to your SC (if you don't mind speeding) - you can gun it to the next charging stop since you know there won't be range concerns! On a LA < --> SF trip I would aim to get to each stop with 10% (based on ABRP) to account for speeding + headwinds. Charging from the bottom of pack is super fast.

Charging from the bottom of the pack is also safer for the pack. Going below 20% is fine for the battery. Its a myth that going lower is bad.

It’s worth mentioning that this can add considerable cost to a trip. Supercharger prices are increasing, +17% last week, and energy consumption increases substantially with increased speed and/or wind.

It’s worth mentioning that this can add considerable cost to a trip. Supercharger prices are increasing, +17% last week, and energy consumption increases substantially with increased speed and/or wind.
Sure, but OP's complaint seems to be more about the extra time experienced on the trip rather than the cost. Considering this trip takes place mostly in CA where it's about $6/gallon, higher supercharger costs are still likely to be cheaper than gas.

Whenever I get close to an SC I use the Tesla super power and gun it as much as I could. I try to make up for the 75MPH runs...lol

Reactions: acatwith12
Hypothetical trip: Bakersfield, CA => Reno, NV (408 miles, 7 hours, 17 minutes (6 hours, 33 minutes total driving, 44 minutes charging):

Leave Bakersfield, CA with battery @80%
Drive 121 miles (1hr, 51 min)
Madera, CA: charge 13 minutes (21%=>66%)
Drive 99 miles (1hr, 36 min)
Manteca, CA: charge 14 minutes (20%=>67%)
Drive 92 miles (1hr, 32 min)
Auburn, CA: charge 18 minutes (20%=76%)
Drive 97 miles (1hr, 32 min)
Arrive Reno, NV: battery at 20% state of charge.

For this hypothetical trip the Tesla Long Range Model Y only needed to be charged to 80% before leaving. A total of three Tesla Supercharger charging stops (one stop every 90 minutes to ~2 hours), no charging stop was over 18 minutes, none of the three charging stops involved charging to over 76%.
Man I would hop over Walker pass and head up 395, magnificent ride. It is a waste to head up either 99 (Ugh) or the really boring I-5.

Reactions: wws and Lucas007
Man I would hop over Walker pass and head up 395, magnificent ride. It is a waste to head up either 99 (Ugh) or the really boring I-5
For some reason I'm attach to I-5 and won't do 395 odd as may seem.
If you spent each charging session going all the way to 95 - 100%. You are your own worst enemy and only have yourself to blame for how long it took.
First long trip here still learning the ropes. I am learning from everyone who are helping. Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: Johnny Vector
For some reason I'm attach to I-5 and won't do 395 odd as may seem.

First long trip here still learning the ropes. I am learning from everyone who are helping. Thanks for the advice!
No problem, just your original post was a bit inflammatory. I'm always willing to give respectful advice. So truly if you follow when the Tesla navigation tells you it's ok to proceed to your next charging stop, I think you'll find the trip takes less time and goes much smoother

I used the same tone as the OPs original post. He gave his frank opinion on the Model Y and I frankly told him why it took him so long. If he had asked a question politely I would have responded in kind.
Didn't mean to hurt your feelings by giving an opinion. Like I said towards the end My Y is a great car, I did not say in any shape or form that Tesla makes bad long driver cars. Look at my avatar, how many gas stations do you think I stopped to fill up to make it down to Socal.

It will be interesting to see how much faster you make the trip on the way back. Please do update us!

I try to end up at every charger stop with 10% and speed if it looks like I’ll hit that percentage so I end up getting there with 5% or less. Like others said the fastest charge rate is always from 0-60%.

Also, try to find the 250kw charge stations. 250kw is 1,000 mi/hr. (2) 95% charges at an hour a piece is the same juice as (4) 47% charges at 10 -15 minutes a piece [assuming you’re charging when battery is low]. 2 hours vs 40-60 minutes.

Also, now that you have a better method of charging on your trip. Try cranking your A/C the whole time making it as comfortable as possible and see you’ll still save time.