Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, this is less than ideal. I sold my stock to buy LEAPS, but my broker only lets you buy 50% of your worth as options (non-margin securities). So, I'm sitting on a bunch of cash and I'm unable to buy nearly as many LEAPS as I'd expected. Despite reading up on margin and such many times, the vagaries of the rules still manage to surprise me. I never ran into this with Ameritrade, but I always had a significant core stock position.

Edit: Fortunately, the fix was a simple call to the broker and they changed my account to 100% available for options. Though they also doubled my margin capacity for non-options...too much power there, dangerous :).

Yeah, don't go buy 150% weekly options :) Well, unless you have a time machine and you know the stock will go up 25% tomorrow, in which case send me a PM.

Yeah, don't go buy 150% weekly options :) Well, unless you have a time machine and you know the stock will go up 25% tomorrow, in which case send me a PM.
I'm now fully grasping the side effects of my entire position being in options (since LEAPS are options). The broker changed my account limitations, so I was able to convert my entire value of TSLA stock to TSLA LEAPS. However, it means I have zero left for options trading.

Before, about 1/2 my account was in TSLA stock and 1/2 in other options (mostly solar). That left some margin capacity for options which I used primarily to sell a long term PUT to pad my account balance. Note, just using the margin capacity, not actually going into margin debt. I figured selling a JAN 2015 $200 put was basically free money and used margin capacity I wasn't otherwise using. Now, however, I don't have that free margin capacity to do the same thing. I'm essentially unable to sell PUTs now that my entire position is composed of long term options.

I can sell a boat load more CALLs though since I have way more share equivalents with LEAPS than I did stock. I haven't typically sold calls though.

I'm now fully grasping the side effects of my entire position being in options (since LEAPS are options). The broker changed my account limitations, so I was able to convert my entire value of TSLA stock to TSLA LEAPS. However, it means I have zero left for options trading.

Before, about 1/2 my account was in TSLA stock and 1/2 in other options (mostly solar). That left some margin capacity for options which I used primarily to sell a long term PUT to pad my account balance. Note, just using the margin capacity, not actually going into margin debt. I figured selling a JAN 2015 $200 put was basically free money and used margin capacity I wasn't otherwise using. Now, however, I don't have that free margin capacity to do the same thing. I'm essentially unable to sell PUTs now that my entire position is composed of long term options.

I can sell a boat load more CALLs though since I have way more share equivalents with LEAPS than I did stock. I haven't typically sold calls though.

Good observation- It sort of reverses the play (you've entered my world here a bit). I used to use margin as you've described, went to LEAPS and now hold those while selling calls at local peaks. In the end, had better luck this way, but I think it's because my pre-disposition is biased to bull rather bear.

I have decided I am tired of tracking the NASDAQ. Elon, throw us a bone? :)
Amen, brother.

tsla_nasdaq.png

I'm a big believer in sentiment in the stock market. When TSLA was at 190-194 in the fall, everyone on here was all excited, there were hundreds of post per day and it felt like the stock couldn't be stopped. We were too greedy. Then boom, down to 140-130-120. People getting frustrated, "will this ever stop", people selling their long positions, etc. We (most of us) were too fearful.

When TSLA got to 255-265 last month, looking back, the same feeling among us - "will it be 280 by the end of March?", "haha to the shorts", etc. - again too greedy. Now it is dropping (on no news) and I am starting to sense some of the same fear and frustration coming back (not just on here but in me too). I don't no where the bottom will be, but unless some major bad news come out (either macroeconomic or TSLA-specific), there is no way this stock will keep going down like this forever, and in the next few months we will look back on this time and smile like we do now to the 120's in November. I think the bottom is near and I am going to use my sense of sentiment on here and in myself to try to help time it. Or maybe some big good news will (finally) come out which will shift things up.

Anyways, just my opinion and I feel like next time there is a big spike up and it seems like we (and I) start seeming too positive/greedy, I will try to check my enthusiasm and hedge or sell off more of my short-medium term positions.

I'm a big believer in sentiment in the stock market. When TSLA was at 190-194 in the fall, everyone on here was all excited, there were hundreds of post per day and it felt like the stock couldn't be stopped. We were too greedy. Then boom, down to 140-130-120. People getting frustrated, "will this ever stop", people selling their long positions, etc. We (most of us) were too fearful

I've believed for a long time that the best way to generate wealth in the stock market is to identify a company with great potential, buy the stock, and hold it for a long time. At times like these, when TSLA is on a steady downward glide from dizzying heights, I think it makes sense to take some perspective on the company's future plans.

We still have Model X, Gigafactory, global expansion, batteries for the power grid, and Model E in the pipeline. The secret plan won't be in focus to the rest of the world until 2019-2020 or so. That's probably when I think big rewards will happen.

I don't sweat the volatility today. Enjoy the ride. Unless you're playing options if course :p

I am in stock and 2016 leaps. It is a luxury to shrug and remind myself I can just wait it out. I have ( so far) resisted the temptation to buy short term calls; picking a bottom. We are just in a new phase where it won't be all up all the time. I am not concerned about the medium or long term share price. I will still play predictable moves but there hasn't been one in a while.

I am in stock and 2016 leaps. It is a luxury to shrug and remind myself I can just wait it out. I have ( so far) resisted the temptation to buy short term calls; picking a bottom. We are just in a new phase where it won't be all up all the time. I am not concerned about the medium or long term share price. I will still play predictable moves but there hasn't been one in a while.

I agree completely. Jan/Feb was like the EM quote 'The fish were jumping in the boat' with short and medium term calls. Lately, I have not been able to, as I like to say, 'read the tea leaves'. I have had a couple small short term plays but I bet they have broken even in the month of March. I am going with LEAPS. I have to stomach them being in the red right now but hope that with the longer horizon they will get back to even, then green with Q2/Q3

My Jan15 and Jan16 LEAPS are looking fairly sickly today. However, with the recent price drop for TSLA I may be able to buy back into my original stock position and keep my sickly LEAPS for the same amount that I sold some TSLA for at $257. Of course, it would have been much nicer if TSLA had gone to $280 and DaveT and I bought Sleepy that plane ticket to the shareholders meeting! :frown:

My Jan15 and Jan16 LEAPS are looking fairly sickly today. However, with the recent price drop for TSLA I may be able to buy back into my original stock position and keep my sickly LEAPS for the same amount that I sold some TSLA for at $257. Of course, it would have been much nicer if TSLA had gone to $280 and DaveT and I bought Sleepy that plane ticket to the shareholders meeting! :frown:

Indeed. I was looking forward to fronting the limo cost. :)

Back to the idea of a series of run-up trigger occasions: Someone mentioned that Elon is going to personally present the first Right-hand-drive Model S to a prominent person in UK more or less "soon". This made me speculate who that might be and I came up with one obvious candidate: hrh Chuck Wind-sol. Fits green profile. Was I just having a fevered dream after yesterday's minestrone? (Or maybe fava'ed;) )

In addition to kids trip, EU launch of new generation SCs with more detailed roll-out plan, China launch, QE production, shipment and/or delivery figures, announcement of GF, V6 SW, official all-clear on safety, and whatever I forgot. This weekend, late on Sunday, is the launch of a manned Falcon 9/Dragon task with (landing legs) so Elon will be fully occupied well into April 1 at least; any late March activities are probably out of the question by now.

Someone mentioned that Elon is going to personally present the first Right-hand-drive Model S to a prominent person in UK more or less "soon". This made me speculate who that might be and I came up with one obvious candidate: hrh Chuck Wind-sol. Fits green profile.

I hope it won't be a gift, especially for a nobleman whose great wealth is derived from all British subjects. The publicity would be most effective, if the recipient pays for the car after having ordered it on his own initiative.

I hope it won't be a gift, especially for a nobleman whose great wealth is derived from all British subjects. The publicity would be most effective, if the recipient pays for the car after having ordered it on his own initiative.

Indeed, bad choice of word on my part. I meant, personally deliver into the hands of. Thanks for the correction.

Also, thanks JRod for the update. Only now saw the delay tweeted by SpaceX, a bare hour ago. Still makes mincemeat of any intensive travel plans for Elon.

Looks like we got the very predictable bounce off 218, any technical gap has been filled, and we are ripe for steady movement upward barring any major news. Now would be a good buying point for anyone with the cash to spare. The only drops from here should be if something negative hits the company.

I would love to hear from TA expert what happened to the support level at 218.

I would love to hear from TA expert what happened to the support level at 218.

Gap fill and trend-resumption is a myth. gap fill indicates weakness/indecision especially following an uptrend. nothing special about 218.

200 is a psychological support. I think TSLA likely to revisit pre-earnings level.

I find it hard to believe the convertible bond price has not been breached.