Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And solar power on Mars is pretty weak, too. And with such a thin atmosphere, how large will wind turbine blades need to be? My company's ocean wave energy tech will be completely useless.

All of which raises an interesting question: what is the power source for the million+ person city on Mars that Elon envisions?

And solar power on Mars is pretty weak, too. And with such a thin atmosphere, how large will wind turbine blades need to be? My company's ocean wave energy tech will be completely useless.

All of which raises an interesting question: what is the power source for the million+ person city on Mars that Elon envisions?

This quote from Wikipedia probably explains it:
Because Mars is further from the Sun, the amount of solar energy entering the upper atmosphere per unit area is less than half of that entering Earth's upper atmosphere. However, due to the thinner atmosphere, more solar energy reaches the surface.

There is still the issue of dust of course, but the winds seem to help with that.

Shoot. Our cars on Mars are already solar powered! :biggrin:

Mars Exploration Rover - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

energy on Mars?

we've all heard Elon talk countless times about vertical takeoff/landing electric jets, but in this video from a couple of years ago (posted already in the TMC video thread) Elon listed a fusion reactor (or possibly a better fission reactor- he mentioned thorium reactors in particular) as one of the couple of projects he'd want to take on if he could clone himself. He called fusion "the energy forever solution."

starts discussing this about 19:20 mark

Elon Musk Mahalo Mentor Interview - YouTube

This quote from Wikipedia probably explains it:
Because Mars is further from the Sun, the amount of solar energy entering the upper atmosphere per unit area is less than half of that entering Earth's upper atmosphere. However, due to the thinner atmosphere, more solar energy reaches the surface.

There is still the issue of dust of course, but the winds seem to help with that.
Terraforming may thicken the atmosphere. And yes, I do intend to spell that with 2 Rs in terra, not teraforming.

My company's ocean wave energy tech will be completely useless.

I am curious, is that commercial, selling energy into grid?

I had shares in one of those, pic below, but transferred money into TSLA. That was a good move, as they are still not commercial.
CETO5_Commercial Scale.jpg

energy on Mars?

we've all heard Elon talk countless times about vertical takeoff/landing electric jets, but in this video from a couple of years ago (posted already in the TMC video thread) Elon listed a fusion reactor (or possibly a better fission reactor- he mentioned thorium reactors in particular) as one of the couple of projects he'd want to take on if he could clone himself. He called fusion "the energy forever solution."

starts discussing this about 19:20 mark

Elon Musk Mahalo Mentor Interview - YouTube

If this is the case, then Elon royally screwed up:

Instead of going into EV's, space, solar, or even fusion; he should have gone into human cloning research and development. That way he could have cloned himself to make many Elon's that would each run their own companies: SpaceX, SCTY, HyperLoop, Cloning, Fusion, etc.

Dammit Elon...

Instead of going into EV's, space, solar, or even fusion; he should have gone into human cloning research and development. That way he could have cloned himself to make many Elon's that would each run their own companies: SpaceX, SCTY, HyperLoop, Cloning, Fusion, etc.

Dammit Elon...

Well, cloning IS fission - right? :tongue:

Dammit Elon...

5 children is as close to cloning as one can get now.

It baffles me that anyone would really want to clone themselves. I have too much of myself on some days, it would be a disaster to have clones:biggrin:

He has twins and triplets (IVF anyone?). I tried to find info on if either of the boys are identical - they could be since they're all boys. In that case we could have two or even three copies of Elon Jr!!!

Or five, right? That thought struck me too but I self-censored. :wink:
Please note I also did not make any allusion whatever to the banned subject of Focus Fusion and LPP. :cursing:

Or five, right? That thought struck me too but I self-censored. :wink:
Please note I also did not make any allusion whatever to the banned subject of Focus Fusion and LPP. :cursing:

Well if it's IVF it's more common that twins or triplets are non-identical than naturally occuring twins and triplets, since the most common cause with IVF is that you implant two or three embryos (non-identical). Then if course you could put in just one and it splits in two (identical) or even three. Or you implant two embryos and one of them splits so that one triplet comes from one embroy and the other two from one (identical twins within the triplet gang with the third just being a brother of the exact same age). Whew, they're all Elon Jrs. of course, i was just pondering if any of them are identical or not. This wouldn't make them clones anyway (half mom). :)

If cloning were any good, nature would have done it already.

Introducing variation and mix gives better result than just repeating the same pattern over and over.

I assume that desire to clone oneself stems from the idea of personal perfection, no need for improvement, or from narcissism. Simple logic then leads to conclusion that only fools or narcissists would clone themselves. Imagine the world full of clones:scared:

If cloning were any good, nature would have done it already.

Introducing variation and mix gives better result than just repeating the same pattern over and over.

I assume that desire to clone oneself stems from the idea of personal perfection, no need for improvement, or from narcissism. Simple logic then leads to conclusion that only fools or narcissists would clone themselves. Imagine the world full of clones:scared:

Cloning or self fertilization is very common in nature! Just not so much in animals