Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There has been a flood of upgrades and new price targets in the last several weeks. Back when they were predicting 200 to 260+, I was a bit skeptical that we would be here so soon. I expected at least a year to pass. But, here we are and new upgrades are still rolling in.

Has anyone, perchance, tracked price targets, the initiator, date and price at the time of initiation or upgrade? It would be interesting to see who the top performers are when it comes to analyzing Tesla. If someone has the info, I can put it into Excel and see what we can find.

Bloomberg ranks analysts in real time on their performance vs. targets and how much their analysis moves stocks they cover. Adam Jonas of MS has been number one for a very long time. I don't currently pay the $30k per year for a Bloomberg terminal with access to this data, but when last I looked, this was the "leaderboard:"

TSLA Analyst Rankings.png

I know it says archambault is unranked, but he doesn't deserve to be on the bottom of that. His note comparing tesla to apple, maytag, and ford, and looking at all the possible futures of the company out to 2025, was quite good. Yes his PT is currently 200, which is a bit low (though the stock was trading near that when the note came out), but it's good analysis nonetheless.

Guys can you please explain to me if the term overbought means anything other than overpriced? I.e. that it's an opinion on that whoever is saying it means that the current stock price is too high and bound to go down? Because for every stock bought one is sold right? So if a stock is overbought then it must be oversold too? But I'm guessing it means that in the last time frame there have been more buyers than sellers which has driven the price up and now it's too high and bound to go down again? Or is it more of a factual term, that you can calculate and everyone will always agree on? I really don't think I understand this term.

Guys can you please explain to me if the term overbought means anything other than overpriced? I.e. that it's an opinion on that whoever is saying it means that the current stock price is too high and bound to go down? Because for every stock bought one is sold right? So if a stock is overbought then it must be oversold too? But I'm guessing it means that in the last time frame there have been more buyers than sellers which has driven the price up and now it's too high and bound to go down again? Or is it more of a factual term, that you can calculate and everyone will always agree on? I really don't think I understand this term.

I have always believed the term does mean that the price has been 'bought up' to a price that is probably a bit higher through exuberance than it should be. It is an 'indicator' that the price is more likely to go down than up in the near term.

Bloomberg ranks analysts in real time on their performance vs. targets and how much their analysis moves stocks they cover. Adam Jonas of MS has been number one for a very long time. I don't currently pay the $30k per year for a Bloomberg terminal with access to this data, but when last I looked, this was the "leaderboard:" View attachment 57063
Why isn't Jeffries ranked better? Their stats looks good.

- - - Updated - - -

I have always believed the term does mean that the price has been 'bought up' to a price that is probably a bit higher through exuberance than it should be. It is an 'indicator' that the price is more likely to go down than up in the near term.
I'd go with overbought being the market exhausted itself of short term buyers and everyone got a piece of allocation they want. In a run up, people just want the stock, but they usually don't want 100% of their worth in it. This can probably be tested with a large buy order followed buy a large sell order in an illiquid stock. Overpriced I usually just point to that VW squeeze.

Nice to see the "competition" publicly discuss how Model S is impacting their sales figures. Which side of history will they ultimately choose to be on...that is indeed the question.

Gas 2 | Bridging the gap between green heads and gear heads.

“Many of the buyers in that (high-end luxury sedan) segment want what’s new, and they’re trying it,” said Lexus’ VP of Marketing, Brian Smith. “They’ll probably come back (to Lexus) … I think the question remains to be seen how many people will buy a second Tesla.”

What a goof (although he obviously has to say something like that). I love the last sentence - yeah because Tesla's customer satisfaction rates are so abysmal...

“Many of the buyers in that (high-end luxury sedan) segment want what’s new, and they’re trying it,” said Lexus’ VP of Marketing, Brian Smith. “They’ll probably come back (to Lexus) … I think the question remains to be seen how many people will buy a second Tesla.”

What a goof (although he obviously has to say something like that). I love the last sentence - yeah because Tesla's customer satisfaction rates are so abysmal...

Haha, The question remains whether any Tesla owners will ever go back to Lexus especially if they saw any of their anti-EV ads.

What do you think about talking at an oil conference?
This is an oil conference?!

- - - Updated - - -

Is it news that China is now buying more Teslas than Norway, or did we already know that?

And no, I think that is definitely news! I don't think anyone thought China had done that well.

- - - Updated - - -

Well thanks Elon, I am going to now go read "Merchants of Doubt"

I think he basically blabbed that China was buying more cars. I suppose we will get more confirmation of that by early Nov (ER).

But... I think China just has to sneeze to buy more cars than most other countries. Something about 1.35 billion people... it's just a matter of time before China is the #1 Tesla-buying nation.

I think he basically blabbed that China was buying more cars. I suppose we will get more confirmation of that by early Nov (ER).

But... I think China just has to sneeze to buy more cars than most other countries. Something about 1.35 billion people... it's just a matter of time before China is the #1 Tesla-buying nation.

at that price point? I wouldn't say number 1... maybe number 2 for a while. The US is likely to remain their strongest market. Even their current projections puts all of NA (which is like 90% or more US) at 40% of the expected demand and all of Asia (CN, AU, HK, JP, KR, etc) at 40%. While China is sure to be their largest Asian customer, I wouldn't think they would surpass the US just yet.

at that price point? I wouldn't say number 1... maybe number 2 for a while. The US is likely to remain their strongest market. Even their current projections puts all of NA (which is like 90% or more US) at 40% of the expected demand and all of Asia (CN, AU, HK, JP, KR, etc) at 40%. While China is sure to be their largest Asian customer, I wouldn't think they would surpass the US just yet.

Merc s class sales are 3x of us in China at double the price afaik