Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be fair I'm somewhat surprised by the mutedness of the stock movement today. Ok I can understand the gap filling to an extent, but the recovery from there has been slowish. Wonder what we'll reach prior to the gigafactory call as it seems most people are in a wait and see status, kind of like everyone took a breather and the two calls are actually taken as one with most action happening only after the second...

To be fair I'm somewhat surprised by the mutedness of the stock movement today.
I'm the reverse. Yesterday I posted I didn't grasp why the stock went bonkers after hours since the ER, while good, was basically what had been known since Tesla announced 6900 cars delivered. The stock retreating to this level makes more sense to me, back to beyond the previous ATH, but not a big jump beyond.

That's not to say I wouldn't expect more upward movement over time.

To be fair I'm somewhat surprised by the mutedness of the stock movement today. Ok I can understand the gap filling to an extent, but the recovery from there has been slowish. Wonder what we'll reach prior to the gigafactory call as it seems most people are in a wait and see status, kind of like everyone took a breather and the two calls are actually taken as one with most action happening only after the second...

Elon's comments about raising capital no doubt put a cap on the action. Had he just not said that, there would not have been a single reason for shorts to hold on. As soon as he said that, there was hope that the shorts could exit next week. Also, it gives any longs that were interested in adding to their position a reason to wait and see.

I really which Elon would learn to not answer those kinds of questions.

Elon's comments about raising capital no doubt put a cap on the action. Had he just not said that, there would not have been a single reason for shorts to hold on. As soon as he said that, there was hope that the shorts could exit next week. Also, it gives any longs that were interested in adding to their position a reason to wait and see.

Agrred. But you can't change him, and may not want to....Because you also get comments like the 'X' reservations: 'Like going fishing and the fish just jump in the boat'

That's what he said, so probably within the next three weeks ;-)

I expect it next week and I think the reason for the delay is that SCTY will be part of it and he did not want to say that before the ER comes out on Monday (I think)

BTW: The Apple-Musk meeting that happened LAST year seemed to be released at a curious time. Could it be that Elon is hedging on the Giga factory because he is pressuring Apple to get involved?? Wonder how the story got out there.....Hmmmm (time to put on the Tin foil hat?)

Just for the record, I did not make any trades today. I would have bought some weekly call options when we were at $206, but I didn't have any cash and didn't want to sell anything else either.

I am holding for tomorrow, since I have a feeling we will get some kind of good news story out of left field, such as NHTSA.

Just for the record, I did not make any trades today. I would have bought some weekly call options when we were at $206, but I didn't have any cash and didn't want to sell anything else either.

I am holding for tomorrow, since I have a feeling we will get some kind of good news story out of left field, such as NHTSA.

I am still holding the last third of my weekly 165s and 170 calls (took profit on 1st third Monday and second third yesterday). Since I can't watch the price action constantly I have put very high sell prices on them which I do not think will be hit today but hope they hit tomorrow. Strangely my March 7th protective put has not gone to zero so I guess I will just hold onto it in case the 'giga factory' call next week is not 'market friendly'.

Saw this today, made me LOL:

Untitled.jpg

I de-leveraged mightily this morning, selling my Feb 22 calls and rolling about half of them forward to march. I have some nervous cash on the sidelines doing a wait-and-see. It is a certainty that I would have been better doing nothing at this point, but I always planned to dial down my risk this week.

ok so Kass of seabreeze management partners who invest in alternative energy has double down today on his short position. he has been tweeting trying to get others to do so as well. ? is there history here that i am unaware of? why would people investing in firm try to bring down an electric car company? any insights

I de-leveraged mightily this morning, selling my Feb 22 calls and rolling about half of them forward to march. I have some nervous cash on the sidelines doing a wait-and-see. It is a certainty that I would have been better doing nothing at this point, but I always planned to dial down my risk this week.

I know what you mean. Had planned to Write OTM Calls hedged against my LEAPS this week, but as usual Elon outsmarted that move with GigaMonster. Guess I'll hold off on that until next week. When will I ever learn...?

Exactly. But I think Elon is okay with the stock not rocketing. I'd even guess that the secondary will be fairly significant. I still believe Elon wants TSLA to be more stable. If there are more shares on the market that could possibly help stabilize TSLA (lower percentage of shorts, more supply, etc). Just a couple months ago he laughed at Tesla being valued at $25 billion so he's probably not too comfortable at these levels either.

I remember at Apple that talking about the stock price over lunch was fairly common. I don't know if it really affected morale or anything, but apparently Elon thinks it does at Tesla and he doesn't want that.

I think it was luvb2b who had mentioned after the first offering that Elon was really after the shorts by not providing a lot of shares for them to cover. The result was an epic squeeze (i.e. volatility) and I don't know if Elon wants that again.

Hope I'm wrong though :)

I'm just commenting on what I want. Like, I wanted to unwind some of my short term bullish bets today. And Elon kinda screwed that up for me by hanging a secondary over our heads.

Yeah me too. Last time he did a secondary I remember about a week or two before, he said it wasn't necessary to raise more capital and after the short squeeze he did one out of left field it seemed like. When you do a secondary don't you want your stock price as high as you can get it to get the best value?

I am not convinced an equity offering will occur in the short term, having listened live to the call & reading the transcript I came away with Elon saying we have up to 3 years to raise needed funds but will be oprtunistic near term with some type of raise, not limited to a secondary.

From the transcript.... Fourth Quarter 2013 Financial Results QA Conference Call - LIVE BLOG - Page 2

Listen to the webcast here Tesla - Events Presentations

Adam Jonas MS: Opportunities in the battery business . . . pull in fresh capital to plan for force majeur?

Elon: That's a smart move. Will talk about that next week about the Gigafactory. I can't say much right now, but your advice is good.

AJ: Would a capital raising be a prerequisite?

Elon: I think it's necessary to have it occur in three years. It's not necessary if we allow that time frame to expand.

anyone else feel like the whole aftermarket/pre-market trading thing is tantamount to inside trading? Tesla should hold the quarterly reports smack in the middle of the day to be fair to everyone and if that's not legal, but it's legal to hold the meetings during after hours trading, then something is terribly wrong!