Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided to cash out my 220's and 240's at around $248 and hang on to the $260's. In my brain I feel 80% sure I'll miss significant upside on those calls over the coming week, but in my gut I feel like taking some profits off the table on a day like today is the right thing to do.

Either way this is an incredible day, congrats everyone.
Yep, I sold my 3/22 240 Calls at $20.20, when we had that push over $255. They were intended as my giga-factory play, but I'll take a 4-bagger on options I bought last week.

Well, even more pissed I didn't buy those March 250s at 2.65 I was looking at the other day, or the weekly 230s I was considering. Sigh. Knew there was potential for something big this week too, as we all did. Blech.

Not that I'm not doing fine today anyway. I think I'm up more than I would have been had I held just stock (did stock replacement during the 120-140 range mostly to fix my margin exposure at the time), and had we held the daily highs or been just a bit closer to them I would have had an actual six figure day. Pretty good deal for someone who started with a five-figure initial investment. Halfway to Teslanaire :)

Well, even more pissed I didn't buy those March 250s at 2.65 I was looking at the other day, or the weekly 230s I was considering. Sigh. Knew there was potential for something big this week too, as we all did. Blech.

Not that I'm not doing fine today anyway. I think I'm up more than I would have been had I held just stock (did stock replacement during the 120-140 range mostly to fix my margin exposure at the time), and had we held the daily highs or been just a bit closer to them I would have had an actual six figure day. Pretty good deal for someone who started with a five-figure initial investment. Halfway to Teslanaire :)

Congrats FANGO. It was a respectable five figure day for me, but I blundered a bit over the past year and paid for my cold feet post Q3.

The centrepiece of my day were these ill-fated 07-Mar 250's I had bought for no apparent reason. I had originally intended them as some off in the weeds Gigafactory play, watched them cruise down to like $0.65/contract and offloaded them for an average of $10.00 today. Weird way to net a ten bagger, but I'm not complaining. They paid for a what has turned into a fairly extravagant vacation at the moment.

I'm also pretty happy that I am heavily abusing the tax free account the Canadian government issued. I am now doing most of my investing in that account, tax free!

Noticed a bit too late that Jan '16 420s were selling for 20 bucks just now, up from 12 yesterday. Tried to get an order in but it didn't execute. I figured I'd be okay with getting called on a few hundred shares at that price, then buying back the LEAPs if the stock drops or if IV drops after this crazy day.

Might be a good thing for open tomorrow if we can hold this range. Or maybe I'll wait for gigafactory information or something.

Never had a '20 bagger'. Got a 19.9 today. Bought Feb230 calls Friday for $1. Sold today for $20. Decided to hold on to the last one just to see. Good day for all of us. Obligatory toast....raising my glass to you all!!

Last edited:
I was really conservative with my weeklies this week. Bought everything in the money. Congrats to all on a beautiful day. I think tomorrow is going to be nice too with the margin calls the shorts will be getting tonight. And other announcements to come. Exciting times.

Not sure how I feel right now. I bought 350 shares of Tesla at 23 dollars back in the day. It was all I could afford as I am not super wealthy like a lot on these forums. I make above average pay as do my wife so I guess I can figure I am upper-middle class or whatever.

Anyway my point is I told myself I would sell at 200 so I could buy the Tesla car and put some money into paying off my house an taking a trip. Well, I did that. I am happy that I got almost 10 times profit from my investment, but disappointed I didn't wait. I guess its too little too late, but I felt I should share my frustration on this board. With 350 shares its not exactly like its a huge deal... I mean thats a 20k difference which is big to me. I guess I should be happy I got so much crazy profit by itself, but man today makes me feel bad for not waiting that extra two weeks. :(

I guess I will just have to enjoy my Tesla in three months.

First world problems.

Short Term TSLA Investor Social Chat

Not sure how I feel right now. I bought 350 shares of Tesla at 23 dollars back in the day. It was all I could afford as I am not super wealthy like a lot on these forums. I make above average pay as do my wife so I guess I can figure I am upper-middle class or whatever.

Anyway my point is I told myself I would sell at 200 so I could buy the Tesla car and put some money into paying off my house an taking a trip. Well, I did that. I am happy that I got almost 10 times profit from my investment, but disappointed I didn't wait. I guess its too little too late, but I felt I should share my frustration on this board. With 350 shares its not exactly like its a huge deal... I mean thats a 20k difference which is big to me. I guess I should be happy I got so much crazy profit by itself, but man today makes me feel bad for not waiting that extra two weeks. :(

I guess I will just have to enjoy my Tesla in three months.

First world problems.

I know that frustration, but in a slightly different scenario. Back at the height of the dot-com boom, around 1999/2000 I had some shares in a tech company that had grown tremendously in the space of a few years. I sold about 1/4 of my holdings to pay for a large purchase, and kept the rest, hoping that the share price would go up even more.

The market tanked, and the stock plunged to a fraction of its value, never to recover. To this day I regret not having made a plan for an exit strategy, or at least some kind of milestone for considering cashing out.

Losing out on 20k is painful, but you reached your goal and will own a really cool Model S as a result. I never set a goal and was left flat-footed and only able to afford a Honda Civic!

Now imagine how you're gonna feel over the next year (and the next decade) if you think the stock price is going to be higher. You might want to think about getting back in on a dip.

I like MikeC's recommendation. Having reached the initial goal doesn't mean you can't set a new goal with a new buy-in.

If you think the stock will go up even more, buy some shares for the long haul.

Mod Note: Thread title amended. It was pointed out that on many devices only the first words of the thread are displayed so having the words "Social Chat" at the end of the title causes members not to know whether it's the short term price thread or the short term chat thread. I'm happy to make that requested change.

Carry on.

:)

I have a similar story to AntiCitizen13.7, except I had "founders shares" in a well known .com that had recently IPO'd at $17/share, and rose to $42/share within a month, my cost basis was pennies/share, needless to say, on paper the shares where worth over $650K, this was it, I was going to be set for life, right? Not so much, Founders IPO shares have lots of restrictions on them, couldn't be sold for a year.. The .com bubble occurred in 2 months, in a year the shares where worth less than $2. So much for retiring at 40, didn't happen. Lesson: cashing out with a substantial profit is never bad, because you never know what can happen with the US /Global economy to really kill your paper profits

Note: the company was eventually taken private, the remaining shareholders received $1.55/share, so it never recovered.