Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thanks AIMc. 12 minutes in, Elon estimates the probability of getting the cost of the Gen III down 50% as a 99% likelihood. I've heard his confidence in this before, but this was quite a strong expression of it.

I hate being right about the downwards macro movement. If this is how hard we're hit when there's no company-specific negative news, imagine how much it would hurt when there is company-specific negative news. Congrats to everyone who managed to hedge their bets in the current environment. I don't have an opinion as to whether it's too late to take a defensive stance or not, though.

While there haven't been any company specific bad events, there has what appears to be a concerted FUD campaign in some parts of the media. For example, Barron's put negative article after negative article into the news over the past 2 weeks.

With the media being blanketed with FUD and the words "tech bubble" thrown about constantly, the stock price is kept down.

Proving the naysayers wrong with good results is the only antidote.

Hello All,
New teslamaniac here and a new retail investor.

I have a random question that I hope someone can answer. If you bought the Tesla Model S in Europe for delivery on Q1 2014, did you purchase it in Euros or Dollars? The reason I ask is that I *think* most of these purchases were made at least 6 months ago and the Euro has increased in value vis a vis the dollar by @4-6 % since. If so, I *think* if the purchase was made in Euros and delivery occurs later, Tesla would accrue those extra dollars due to the exchange rate for Q1 2014 revenue. Or am I way out to lunch? :)

Hello All,

I have a random question that I hope someone can answer. If you bought the Tesla Model S in Europe for delivery on Q1 2014, did you purchase it in Euros or Dollars? The reason I ask is that I *think* most of these purchases were made at least 6 months ago and the Euro has increased in value vis a vis the dollar by @4-6 % since. If so, I *think* if the purchase was made in Euros and delivery occurs later, Tesla would accrue those extra dollars due to the exchange rate for Q1 2014 revenue. Or am I way out to lunch? :smile:

I ordered mine late in Q1-14 and paid deposit in SEK. IIRC the exchange rate was for a cheaper dollar then than now. Balance will also be paid in SEK at the going rate on that day.

Thank you. I never thought that there would be a re-calculation of the exchange at the going rate on the day the purchase is finalized. I guess then that currency fluctuations would not matter that much.

I ordered mine late in Q1-14 and paid deposit in SEK. IIRC the exchange rate was for a cheaper dollar then than now. Balance will also be paid in SEK at the going rate on that day.

This is certainly not a banner day for my TSLA and solar holdings. I guess retirement is overrated and I will continue to work a while longer! I have cash that I could commit as this may prove to be a good buying time but I admit that 'analysis-paralysis' has set into my brain so I am sitting on the sidelines right now.

Good move by all you who hedged. Hopefully better days ahead for me and my cohorts who have calls/stock.

This is certainly not a banner day for my TSLA and solar holdings. I guess retirement is overrated and I will continue to work a while longer! I have cash that I could commit as this may prove to be a good buying time but I admit that 'analysis-paralysis' has set into my brain so I am sitting on the sidelines right now.

Good move by all you who hedged. Hopefully better days ahead for me and my cohorts who have calls/stock.

Hard to believe we were at 202 pre-market and now struggling near $194. I'm counting on good news on May 7th, but we need to stop the slide now.

May I chime into this discussion?
On hydrogen and other fuel sources:

* As a matter of a democratic society, discussions and testing alternative methods are certainly welcome. That's called pluralism.

* Science does not evolve quickly or in a straightforward manner. Neither does general acceptance of scientific evidence. Trial & errors are also scientific methods by definition. So I wouldn't be concerned about immediate acceptance of our enlightened views.

* In mathematics, there are concepts called "local maxima/minima" and "global maxima/minima". The fact that the society has chosen a certain inferior technology over the best one is reflection of the cost involved to seek the "global maxima/minima". You need an external shock (the more painful, the better) to make economic agents change their objective functions.

** Imagine how the market would react to Toyota's shares if/when there is a high profile explosion of the local hydrogen gas station... I am pretty sure that many small business owners would think twice about that. In that sense, Tesla has a potential to expand its network of super charging stations should it decide to make it a franchise model.

Now let's separate personal passion for environmental change vs. business objectives:

* I don't see anything wrong with competition being distracted or misled. The more & longer the competition spends their resources on inferior technology, the better it is for Tesla Motors.

* Not only that the competition goes the wrong direction, they will then have to play a catch up game that is twice the distance from the initial point. By then Tesla would be miles even further ahead. That means that by the time the competition turns around, their capital expenses would be higher, which means thinner profit margins (if any). At the same time Tesla would be able to enjoy its economies of scale.

Historical perspective:

* How many automobile companies were there in 1920's? -- Dozens. Yet, the world population was smaller and the income-eligible customer base was even less. Over time most of those companies either went out of business or consolidated despite a larger aggregate demand. That's the classical nature of the supply function, i.e. marginal cost.

* The key philosophical concept at Tesla Motors is First Principles. -- GM found its downfall when it started relying more on the finance arm to boost its income statement. Toyota enjoyed increased market share but gave in on quality control. So the lesson is that prudence & staying focused pays off.

Value:

* Warren Buffett often jokes that suppressed prices give him more time to buy good assets. He also says that it is better to pay a fair price for a good business than a good price for a fair company.

* I say "Thank you!" to the market for making the share prices cheaper. In fact, right now I am trying to figure out how to move my 401K plan to the IRA account where I could invest more into TSLA shares.

Here I sit gnawing my fingernails and tapping my feet. Actually hoping the slump will hold for a few more days. Let me explain.

One year ago I discovered TSLA and started to invest, via the cumbersome and fail-prone method of phoning my bank (hoping the stock guy was available) during the window of about one hour between open Nasdaq and close my bank (time zones). Local assets can be traded online, no problem. But TSLA etc are not local to me and need expert handling. So in the fall I opened a new account at a different bank, where I could trade via desktop in real-time. I also opened a tax-deferred account there, where only realized profits would be taxed, not each trade singly. Unfortunately, it turned out North Am assets were not eligible for that account so I withdrew almost all my cash deposit (and will pay a trivial pro forma tax on the max amount for that quarter).

Now, last week this new bank announced that they would actually allow NA trading in the tax-deferred account. I rushed to move over all my assets, while they were at a (temporary?) slump, because the transfer is considered a sell and I will be liable for gains tax. Best while cheap!

BUT - my two major holdings, TSLA and JASO, could not be transferred for a few days, due to some delay of liquidity or whatever. So, contrary to you my friends, I am actually crossing my bitten fingers that those two companies will trade lower until they are safe in my tax haven! Sorry about that; if it even matters to the market. :tongue:

It would have been better, of course, if I could have invested there from the beginning, but that was not to be. Now I want to minimize the tax effect by trying to time the transfer, gazing into my misty crystal ball.

End of week: GOGOGO!

And that concludes this transmission. Good luck.

Here I sit gnawing my fingernails and tapping my feet. Actually hoping the slump will hold for a few more days. Let me explain.

One year ago I discovered TSLA and started to invest, via the cumbersome and fail-prone method of phoning my bank (hoping the stock guy was available) during the window of about one hour between open Nasdaq and close my bank (time zones). Local assets can be traded online, no problem. But TSLA etc are not local to me and need expert handling. So in the fall I opened a new account at a different bank, where I could trade via desktop in real-time. I also opened a tax-deferred account there, where only realized profits would be taxed, not each trade singly. Unfortunately, it turned out North Am assets were not eligible for that account so I withdrew almost all my cash deposit (and will pay a trivial pro forma tax on the max amount for that quarter).

Now, last week this new bank announced that they would actually allow NA trading in the tax-deferred account. I rushed to move over all my assets, while they were at a (temporary?) slump, because the transfer is considered a sell and I will be liable for gains tax. Best while cheap!

BUT - my two major holdings, TSLA and JASO, could not be transferred for a few days, due to some delay of liquidity or whatever. So, contrary to you my friends, I am actually crossing my bitten fingers that those two companies will trade lower until they are safe in my tax haven! Sorry about that; if it even matters to the market. :tongue:

It would have been better, of course, if I could have invested there from the beginning, but that was not to be. Now I want to minimize the tax effect by trying to time the transfer, gazing into my misty crystal ball.

End of week: GOGOGO!

And that concludes this transmission. Good luck.

hope it works out- 2 great stocks regardless!

Hello All,

I have a random question that I hope someone can answer. If you bought the Tesla Model S in Europe for delivery on Q1 2014, did you purchase it in Euros or Dollars? The reason I ask is that I *think* most of these purchases were made at least 6 months ago and the Euro has increased in value vis a vis the dollar by @4-6 % since. If so, I *think* if the purchase was made in Euros and delivery occurs later, Tesla would accrue those extra dollars due to the exchange rate for Q1 2014 revenue. Or am I way out to lunch? :)

We pay Tesla in Euros - here in Germany and elsewhere in the EU, whereever the Euro is the local currency.

I suggest that Tesla adjusts the price of the cars once in a while to reflect changes in the exchange rate vs. the US $. Other factors include cost of localisation, import duties and so on. In Germany we also pay a 19 % value added tax.

The price adjustments will be made by Tesla only when major fluctuations call for them. We pay the price that is valid at the time we finalise the car. Any price changes after that do not affect us.

I used to have similar trading troubles as you described in your post. There is some good information in Brokerage and Trading Tools thread on this forum. Based on contributors comments there, I opened IB account and transferred most assets to that account. Now placing orders is easy.