Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See the Cory Johnson thread and watch his absurd video. Calling the car a 'millioinaire's car' is backhanded put down, implicitly and explicitly indicating that it is only a niche car.

My neighbors are pretty excited about my purchase. I haven't even got the car, but they have already told me how excited *they* are to see my car and test drive it.

I see tons of cars in the 40 to 70 thousand range near where I live. I see a large portion of those people being Tesla customers once they see the light. Many can afford a car that's 70 to 90, but choose not to spend that much. The addressable market is still huge.

There is a point here. I also have a 60kwh and paid $75k. But what does it say about today's Tesla buyers that they are all buying in the $110k range? Why aren't there more lower end buyers? It's been a year so it shouldn't be all rich early adopters anymore right?
Two answers I suspect:
1)I think a lot of people who would normally buy a 60-70k car start looking into the S and end up spending 80-90k to get the 85 instead of a 60
2)there are a lot of wealthier people now buying a loaded P85+ for 130k which Tesla prioritizes to have a 4-6 week wait and so there is more demand for this more expensive version due to the lower wait and fast shipping times equals more of them getting delivered vs. a 60kw which has a 2-3 month wait time.

Two answers I suspect:
1)I think a lot of people who would normally buy a 60-70k car start looking into the S and end up spending 80-90k to get the 85 instead of a 60
2)there are a lot of wealthier people now buying a loaded P85+ for 130k which Tesla prioritizes to have a 4-6 week wait and so there is more demand for this more expensive version due to the lower wait and fast shipping times equals more of them getting delivered vs. a 60kw which has a 2-3 month wait time.

The second point makes sense to me. The first not as much. Some people, like me, have a budget and have to wait.

But even then, you will eventually run out of people who can spend $110k+ on a car. The fact is that the 60kwh is an amazing deal for the price and the market for that price range is a lot bigger.

I think that lower ASPs would tell me that Tesla is starting to go mass market or do we have wait until GenIII?

The second point makes sense to me. The first not as much. Some people, like me, have a budget and have to wait.

But even then, you will eventually run out of people who can spend $110k+ on a car. The fact is that the 60kwh is an amazing deal for the price and the market for that price range is a lot bigger.

I think that lower ASPs would tell me that Tesla is starting to go mass market or do we have wait until GenIII?

thats true what you say, however, re: point #1, many people who could afford a 100k car might normally look for a 40-60k new ICE car and will not even consider learning about a Tesla or much less its cost savings benefits because they know it's starting price is out of the range and more than what they are comfortable with spending on a new car...if they did look at the S seriously then they could easily justify spending more than what they would for a new ICE car (65-75k instead of 60k max) for the 60kw S.

in the same vain...many people who could afford a 100k+ car but are only comfortable spending 60-70k max on a new car will look at the S and end up spending more than they would have and spend 70-90k for an 85kw version with a few options.

its like...if I wanted to go to a nice fancy dinner with my wife, I know $200 is the max I'm comfortable spending although I could afford a much more expensive dinner if I wanted...I just do not want to pay more than $200 for a dinner so I won't even look at restaurants in the $300-$500 range. Even if there was a magical restaurant out there that gave me steak making me live longer I would likely not know about it because I wouldn't even look at those more expensive restaurants.

GP: It's not necessary to be a millionare before buying premium luxury cars. How do you explain Chinese consumes 50% of Mercedes S class production? Note S class (price range 850K Yuan -- 2.8M Yuan) is much more expensive than model S (price range 750K Yuan -- 1.1 M Yuan) in China.This same story might easily happen on Model S. Also keep in mind, Chinese government is the most pro-EV government in the world, so it's not surprise to see Shanghai municipal government gave free licese late to imported EV the same day when Elon arrived Shanghai. The senior officer (Ministers) hinted to Elon that lowering tariff for imported EV is under consideration.

Here is the link of half Mercedes S class sales go for China : http://auto.gasgoo.com/News/2013/05/17075146514660213721447.shtml
It's in Chinese though, but you can use google translator.

Thanks for your calm reply Curt

Of the American people who would be inclined to purchase a $100k All Electric Vehicle what percentage do you think are unaware of Tesla?

I'm confused about how large the market would be for a $100k All EV in China. Everybody talks about all the wealthy people in China but when I research it I find info like this, which says the US has over 4 times as many millionaires as China:
24/7 Wall St.: Countries with the most millionaires

Last edited:
It doesn't matter. The buying power is determined not only by wealth but also the desire. Mercedes S class alone sell ~30K in China annually, BMW 7 series sell ~26K, Audi A8 sell ~12K, the China market is much more than Tesla can supply before GenIII come online.

i agree that one does not need to be a millionaire. I couldn't find stats for half millionaires, etc.

Last edited:
I agree that one does not need to be a millionaire. I couldn't find stats for half millionaires, etc.

Digest this case study please. I am not wealthy. I paid $65,000 for my Model S and with the federal tax credit I paid a net of about $57,500. I have a sufficient number of solar panels on my roof so that I need buy no electricity to charge my Model S, and I commute 90 miles each weekday in the car. I plan to keep the car 8 years, at least. I laugh at the thought of ever going back to an ICE-age vehicle (borrowing term from Curt). Not only is this car safe and kick-ass enjoyable, it will end up being as affordable as an average Icemobile over the long run. Granted, the 40KWH versions are no longer available, but buying a 60KWH version isn't all that more expensive. I am not alone as there are many others who will also discover the value of owning such a car.

As long as Tesla has enough new areas to upen up sales to (China/UK/Australia/Japan/Russia/...) demand is not an issue. But GravityPull is asking a legitimate question about what happens after that time and before gen III comes online. Another legitimate question is why we are seeing so little signs of being production constrained in existing markets. Right now in the Dutch delivery thread we have customers ordering and seeing their cars go in production a mere 6 weeks later. Shipping and final assembly delays in Tilburg add more to the waiting time than factory production.

Another legitimate question is why we are seeing so little signs of being production constrained in existing markets. Right now in the Dutch delivery thread we have customers ordering and seeing their cars go in production a mere 6 weeks later.

Tesla is production constrained globally not in every national market.

Highly optioned cars like Performance Plus get put to the front of the line while base models get put to the back.

It is not first ordered first delivered policy. Sometimes, celebrities and powerful influential people get their cars first. I know, life is not fair.

German sales and demand have been disappointing. I thought solar power loving Spain would be a rather large market, Spanish 1%ers can still afford a Model S despite Spain's macro economic problems. There are no Tesla stores in Spain yet but I take it Tesla does not see strong demand there.

Bottom line is Tesla can max production given the number of battery cells Panasonic delivers and the US, Norway, and China would buy them all before they are even made. And that looks like to continue upto and past Gen3 introduction. But I am not clairvoyant and neither is Elon or anybody else. We are just making guesstimates based on available information.

As long as Tesla has enough new areas to upen up sales to (China/UK/Australia/Japan/Russia/...) demand is not an issue. But GravityPull is asking a legitimate question about what happens after that time and before gen III comes online. Another legitimate question is why we are seeing so little signs of being production constrained in existing markets. Right now in the Dutch delivery thread we have customers ordering and seeing their cars go in production a mere 6 weeks later. Shipping and final assembly delays in Tilburg add more to the waiting time than factory production.
Gravitypull also claims elon is a problem holding tesla back. Not devoting enough time to the company by not devoting enough time to the development people. Like there would be a tesla now without him. How can you give his comments legitimacy

Schonelucht, once Tesla has a global network established in reasonably-promising markets the supercharger networks will have matured in North America, Europe, and in parts of China. The whole dynamics of selling electric cars changes once a suitable supercharger network is in place. The electric car is now a practical vehicle for not only local driving but also for cross-continent drives. Make electric cars practical and the market expands immensely.

Highly optioned cars like Performance Plus get put to the front of the line while base models get put to the back.

An S85 from finalize to delivery in not even 3 months (remember 4-6 weeks for shipping and final assembly)? The most forward date currently reported is end of august/september.

Schonelucht, once Tesla has a global network established in reasonably-promising markets the supercharger networks will have matured in North America, Europe, and in parts of China. The whole dynamics of selling electric cars changes once a suitable supercharger network is in place. The electric car is now a practical vehicle for not only local driving but also for cross-continent drives. Make electric cars practical and the market expands immensely.

That would mean that Tesla isn't production constrained but rather that demand isn't there (yet).

An S85 from finalize to delivery in not even 3 months (remember 4-6 weeks for shipping and final assembly)? The most forward date currently reported is end of august/september.

That would mean that Tesla isn't production constrained but rather that demand isn't there (yet).

If Q2 production, as reported, is already sold out that, by definition, is production constrained. There may be towns, cities, counties, states, providences, parts of countries or parts of continents that have no demand, less demand, etc. but since TM does not even publish overall daily, weekly or monthly reservation numbers or delivery numbers it is all speculative. The only thing TM has officially said is Q2 is already sold out.