Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soft vs Hard Reboot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the difference between a hard vs soft reboot? I understand that one is done with the brake pedal pressed and the other just with two scroll wheels pressed. Should a reboot be done after every software update? If so, which type of reboot should be done?

When I do a reset, it is usually to try to fix something weird going on. I have only done it a few times, and I dont think ever after an update. When I first got my MY I had a radar issue that was keeping AP/FSD from working. Naturally I thought it was the break in period at first, so I didnt worry about it until later. Then I tried a soft reboot, and it didn't fix it. Drove a bit more and then tried a hard reboot, and it was still broken. As it turns out, I had a bad radar from the factory and the reboots were done in vain.

But to answer your question, as I understand it, a soft reboot is like a windows shutdown/restart command. It shuts down the OS but may keep things in memory, power still to motherboard, etc. A hard reboot is like a full power off shutdown, let it sit for 10 seconds and reboots. Thus clearing anything in RAM or temp files.

Now I know our Tesla's are not Window's PC's but it is a good analogy to what the two differences are.

Then of course, the worst case option is a factory reset thorough the screen, but I haven't ever needed to do that yet.
Pretty much all I do is use a soft reboot for things that are acting up (camera not turning on, etc).

• Informative
Reactions: alexcue
When I do a reset, it is usually to try to fix something weird going on. I have only done it a few times, and I dont think ever after an update. When I first got my MY I had a radar issue that was keeping AP/FSD from working. Naturally I thought it was the break in period at first, so I didnt worry about it until later. Then I tried a soft reboot, and it didn't fix it. Drove a bit more and then tried a hard reboot, and it was still broken. As it turns out, I had a bad radar from the factory and the reboots were done in vain.

But to answer your question, as I understand it, a soft reboot is like a windows shutdown/restart command. It shuts down the OS but may keep things in memory, power still to motherboard, etc. A hard reboot is like a full power off shutdown, let it sit for 10 seconds and reboots. Thus clearing anything in RAM or temp files.

Now I know our Tesla's are not Window's PC's but it is a good analogy to what the two differences are.

Then of course, the worst case option is a factory reset thorough the screen, but I haven't ever needed to do that yet.
Pretty much all I do is use a soft reboot for things that are acting up (camera not turning on, etc).
But he also wanted to know how to do it...me too.

Reactions: bicar
But he also wanted to know how to do it...me too.
Sorry...Missed that part.
Soft reboot - press and hold both scroll wheel on steering wheel until Tesla Logo shows up.
Hard reboot - Same process but press the brake pedal at the same time, holding all three until logo shows up.
Factory Reset - Available through menu, not sure where, but I have seen it a couple of times.

I was under the impression soft reboot is just the buttons on the steering. The hard reboot you have to disconnect the 12v battery and remove the back seat and disconnect the HV pack. The brake pedal was just something the Internet made up that the Tesla techs know nothing about.

• Informative
Reactions: bicar