Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could someone with 2018.16 try their heated steering wheel. I got 2018.16 yesterday at a SC for unrelated issues and this morning I noticed no heat for the sterring wheel even though the icon is red.

Thx
I got 2018.16 yesterday and the steering wheel heat is not working. It gets a little warm at the top of the steering wheel but no where else. It is definitely broken.

I drove by the SC and showed the service manager the issue.

Reactions: markn455
I got 2018.16 yesterday and the steering wheel heat is not working. It gets a little warm at the top of the steering wheel but no where else. It is definitely broken.

I drove by the SC and showed the service manager the issue.
Same issue.
No heat in steering wheel. Seat on 3 seems less warm.
No preheating options in IOS app either.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Does the steering wheel still click? I had my service center look into that and they reported it was normal. I'd rather have a bit less heat and no clicking (though the season for heated seats/steering in my area has finally passed).

I just wish Tesla would enable memory for the rear seats as well as the front and steering because my passengers have to nag me to get heated seats (and my family always sits back there in the same seats). Our S is a family sedan.

Does the steering wheel still click? I had my service center look into that and they reported it was normal. I'd rather have a bit less heat and no clicking (though the season for heated seats/steering in my area has finally passed).

I just wish Tesla would enable memory for the rear seats as well as the front and steering because my passengers have to nag me to get heated seats (and my family always sits back there in the same seats). Our S is a family sedan.
Steering wheel heat icon turns red

Anyone else noticing that it appears Tesla appears to start all over with every new update? How do you break things that have worked for over a year and are completely unrelated to features addressed in the update? Has Tesla never heard of regression testing??
I think what they are dealing with now is mostly problems due to very many hardware configurations. They simply don't have a way of testing every bit at all that hardware.

With few and good developers you can keep good control because a single person can check every piece of code going into the repository. With hundreds of developers and nobody with the complete overview, you have to rely more on extensive testing to find these issues.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah and chillaban
Steering wheel heat is not working. It gets a little warm at the top of the steering wheel but no where else. It is definitely broken.
My X is similar, but it doesn't seem to be "broken".
In my case it seems that the steering heat is greatly reduced when it's warm inside/outside. The "little warmth" I've noticed on the top of the steering wheel on a warmer day seems to be from sunshine or uv coming through a light cloud cover.
My steering wheel still gets toasty when it's close to freezing outside.
I have "Controls/driving/Range Mode" set ON; it may be related.
It seems that my steering heat works perfectly.
The heated seats may work in a similar way.
I'm on 14.2.
Of course, yours might be, as you say, "definitely broken".
Either way, I hope you have a great day! :)

OK I have to ask… What do you mean by clicking?
Is your heated steering wheel actually making a clicking sound?

My X is similar, but it doesn't seem to be "broken".
In my case it seems that the steering heat is greatly reduced when it's warm inside/outside. The "little warmth" I've noticed on the top of the steering wheel on a warmer day seems to be from sunshine or uv coming through a light cloud cover.
My steering wheel still gets toasty when it's close to freezing outside.
I have "Controls/driving/Range Mode" set ON; it may be related.
It seems that my steering heat works perfectly.
The heated seats may work in a similar way.
I'm on 14.2.
Of course, yours might be, as you say, "definitely broken".
Either way, I hope you have a great day! :)
I wish the steering wheel heat has 3 levels instead of so hot that it will burn your hand and I have to manually cycle it off and on.

I wish the steering wheel heat has 3 levels instead of so hot that it will burn your hand and I have to manually cycle it off and on.
My 2016 S90D used to get that hot also, but with the 2018.16 update, there is no heat on the steering wheel except at the top and it barely gets warm. I have not checked the heated seats yet. I will check to see if they are still working correctly.

• Informative
Reactions: croman

Croman, the steering wheel clicking is not normal. I had he same issue and took my model S it in for service and they resolved the issue. No clicks now.

• Informative
Croman, the steering wheel clicking is not normal. I had he same issue and took my model S it in for service and they resolved the issue. No clicks now.

They checked mine out and said operating normally. Its warmer weather now, so I'll leave it until my annual service but I figure it can't be normal because the loaners don't do it.

Concern: Customer: Ticking from steering wheel when heater on.

Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Upper Column, Steering Wheel, and Steering Lock General Diagnosis
Verified normal operation of steering wheel.

They checked mine out and said operating normally. Its warmer weather now, so I'll leave it until my annual service but I figure it can't be normal because the loaners don't do it.
I tried to find the service invoice but i think they fixed it and did write it down. All of the switches on the steering wheel have wires that have to wind and unwind as you turn he steering wheel. I think this was the issue.

I will check with one of my friends that is a technician at the SC and ask him if he remembers what he did to resolve the issue. I had the noise all he time after it started and it was not temperature related.

• Helpful