Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.20 ad59ff9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IOS 11.4 Beta did fix this for me

Thanks. Something to look forward to.

After being a beta tester for internet explorer and its active desktop way back when, I now know never to use beta software in a ‘production’ environment. I relented on this to my cost with iOS 10 betas in the dev program. I look forward to Bluetooth working as it should in the next proper release. I don’t hold out much hope for Siri though.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
When I referenced navigation arrows earlier I was referring to the arrows that tell you which lane to be in when you’re taking an exit or making a turn. Looks to me like it stands out more than it used to.

Attachments

• 98AA6D18-21BD-4313-AEA0-71C906DA34B3.jpeg
    98AA6D18-21BD-4313-AEA0-71C906DA34B3.jpeg
    292.3 KB · Views: 121
Tons of threads about this, and they may be saying ‘fixed on 2018.20’ as the next release fixes everything (always does!). :D

The bug was thought to actually be the LTE on the 3rd Gen Apple Watch, not the BT. Try putting the watch in Airplane mode and testing (whether or not you signed up for the LTE connection).

There was talk that Tesla and Apple were working on this, but I’ve not seen a conclusive answer posted.

Also, for Model X’s, there have been tons of posts about ‘bad sound from the A pillar mics’, Apple Watchs or no’. Not tied to any software release. I’d check that further in the X forum, and I’ve not seen a fix for that (may be car age (mic age) dependent, also).
So I actually have a first gen Apple Watch with no LTE. With that said, I did put it in airplane mode to disable BT per the prior suggestions. It worked! Audio on the receiver’s end was day and night improved.

So until a fix shows up, this is a fine workaround. :)

Reactions: MP3Mike
So I actually have a first gen Apple Watch with no LTE. With that said, I did put it in airplane mode to disable BT per the prior suggestions. It worked! Audio on the receiver’s end was day and night improved.

So until a fix shows up, this is a fine workaround. :)
Glad that worked! I’ve got a second Gen and not seen the issue. But who knows between versions of mics and radios and watches.

We can hope iOS 11.4 might fix it for all!

To add a bit of negative news... did two 30 minute drives on 2018.20 and had Bluetooth to my iPhone drop out from google maps nav the way it did a few versions back. Going along fine and all of a sudden all you hear is the audio from the phone.

Car thinks it’s connected to the phone. Killing BT on phone (from settings, not the crappy control panel ‘not really disconnecting it’ switch) and turning it on again fixes it for a while. Weird. Wonder if that is what 2018.20.5 might be for. Anyone seeing BT issues?

Last edited:
Car thinks it’s connected to the phone. Killing BT on phone (from settings, not the crappy control panel ‘not really disconnecting it’ switch) and turning it on again fixes it for a while. Weird. Wonder if that is what 2018.20.5 might be for. Anyone seeing BT issues?
There are several iPhone X Bluetooth threads the past week or two, so you’re not alone.

Reported that Apple Watch with cellular can cause a problem when paired with the X, airplane mode a fix if I recall. Also some think it could be pairing with AirPods an issue with a Tesla and an X.

Read one report the latest iOS a fix. 11.4 just dropped but I never had a problem with my iPhone X, but I don’t have an Apple Watch or use AirPods in the S.

Might want to do a search in the forums.

There are several iPhone X Bluetooth threads the past week or two, so you’re not alone.

Reported that Apple Watch with cellular can cause a problem when paired with the X, airplane mode a fix if I recall. Also some think it could be pairing with AirPods an issue with a Tesla and an X.

Read one report the latest iOS a fix. 11.4 just dropped but I never had a problem with my iPhone X, but I don’t have an Apple Watch or use AirPods in the S.

Might want to do a search in the forums.
Yes, I know, actually, I wrote several of those posts. :D. This case is not an iPhone X, not a Gen3 Apple Watch. And not audio quality.

Most of those threads were about Phone Audio quality, I believe. I don’t recall anyone saying the actual connection disconnected. I’ve never had this issue before, and I’ve had the same watch and phone for the life of the car. FWIW.

I think this is really a 2018.20 issue, but, as an elimination point, I can leave the watch off.

And, oh yeah, I upgraded to 11.4 the day before, just remembered!

Yes, I know, actually, I wrote several of those posts. :D. This case is not an iPhone X, not a Gen3 Apple Watch. And not audio quality.

Most of those threads were about Phone Audio quality, I believe. I don’t recall anyone saying the actual connection disconnected. I’ve never had this issue before, and I’ve had the same watch and phone for the life of the car. FWIW.

I think this is really a 2018.20 issue, but, as an elimination point, I can leave the watch off.

And, oh yeah, I upgraded to 11.4 the day before, just remembered!
Sorry about that. I generally remember the “what” not the “who” of issues. ;)

The important thing here is; There are Bluetooth issues...

I remember at least one comment being the audio bounced back to the phone, and I don’t think it was you. Could be wrong as I usually expand the text pane on an iPad to fill the screen at night when my eyes have had it for the day, and don’t so much see who’s posting what. ;)

Oh, and turning BT off from the crappy control panel really isn’t crappy as it serves a real purpose; The phone does not look for new BT connections, which might be a factor. Don’t know without testing it so I could be wrong.

I reread your post. The only time I remember seeing something similar is when using Waze BT connected, and used Siri at the same time. The Waze audio went silent. After the second time it happened I just use Waze over the phone speaker instead. I haven’t tried it with iOS 11.4 yet.

Sorry about that. I generally remember the “what” not the “who” of issues. ;)

The important thing here is; There are Bluetooth issues...

I remember at least one comment being the audio bounced back to the phone, and I don’t think it was you. Could be wrong as I usually expand the text pane on an iPad to fill the screen at night when my eyes have had it for the day, and don’t so much see who’s posting what. ;)

Oh, and turning BT off from the crappy control panel really isn’t crappy as it serves a real purpose; The phone does not look for new BT connections, which might be a factor. Don’t know without testing it so I could be wrong.

I reread your post. The only time I remember seeing something similar is when using Waze BT connected, and used Siri at the same time. The Waze audio went silent. After the second time it happened I just use Waze over the phone speaker instead. I haven’t tried it with iOS 11.4 yet.
Lol, not a problem. My point was this was a complete disconnection (as in not using, even when connected), where the others were quality. I do need to try it without the watch in the car at all, because it could definitely be a factor. But the hardware has not changed in eight months, where the blinking software sure does and I’ve never had this issue. :D. I use Google Nav all the time, and it usually works great, taking over from the media player in the car, and transferring back. Here, with 2018.20, it just eventually (in the two trips yesterday) fell off to the phone, even while still connected to the car. (Which is the weird part.)

I seldom do phone calls in the car, like never. It’s always one way audio (as in Google navigation). And when it falls back to only from the phone speakers, that’s a drastic change.

Yeah, I know what the CP Bluetooth switch is for, and at last finally Apple put a message telling you that, as people who don’t know better thought it was actually turning BT off. It’s not new BT connections, as the car is connected as soon as you get within a few feet of it (especially for S and X’s).

Hopefully we get 2018.20.5 or 2018.22 to fix this....

On the original issue with the Gen3 Watch, I hope someone can update their phone and watch, as both versions are now out, and that is a separate issue, with the interference with the audio quality. My issue seems to be the command to use the speaker channel even when connected.

2018 MX100D MCU2 2018.20

Something freaky happen to me this morning.

I got into the car and pressed the button to opened the glove box (something atypical to my normal get in and go sequence), the car had yet to fully power up (if that, or any of that, matters).

Anyway, the car began started cycling through different features. The hazard lights started blinking, Enhanced Auto Steering Icon, Auto Park lit-up as if engaged, Head lights low beam cycling through auto high beams (actual head lamps, not just icons), I received a message from the Tesla app that "Summon has Failed - Please disconnect charge cable" (was not connected to charger), and pretty much everything else. I figured I had trigger a factory system check subroutine.

This process automatically looped (several times). I soft rebooted the system and it started back up (glove box still open) and the loop continued I caught it on video (Link --> 20180605_075814.mp4 )

I closed the glove box (again may have nothing to do with anything), used the "power button" to power down the car. Rebooted the system (dual scroll wheels), and the system restore itself to a stable state.

Anyone else experienced this?

Noticed my MS with smart suspension is not auto leveling anymore. Always looks like it’s different heights. After getting out and the car locking it usually resets and auto levels to compensate for weight that was in the car. Since 2018.20 I noticed it no longer does this. Anyone else notice this?

• Funny
Reactions: Meng
2018 MX100D MCU2 2018.20

Something freaky happen to me this morning.

I got into the car and pressed the button to opened the glove box (something atypical to my normal get in and go sequence), the car had yet to fully power up (if that, or any of that, matters).

Anyway, the car began started cycling through different features. The hazard lights started blinking, Enhanced Auto Steering Icon, Auto Park lit-up as if engaged, Head lights low beam cycling through auto high beams (actual head lamps, not just icons), I received a message from the Tesla app that "Summon has Failed - Please disconnect charge cable" (was not connected to charger), and pretty much everything else. I figured I had trigger a factory system check subroutine.

This process automatically looped (several times). I soft rebooted the system and it started back up (glove box still open) and the loop continued I caught it on video (Link --> 20180605_075814.mp4 )

I closed the glove box (again may have nothing to do with anything), used the "power button" to power down the car. Rebooted the system (dual scroll wheels), and the system restore itself to a stable state.

Anyone else experienced this?
Time to call an exorcist