Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2020.48.26.x update, font size problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Non-owners on TMC: Lots and they're very active.

It was pretty evident you're an owner after posting the UI pic. Hank42's responded with something stupid ("Wait, why is your trunk AND frunk open at the same time?" .... DDDUUUHHH! :rolleyes:) that no owner would.

What all owners know: the UI renders your car in real-time.

I don’t know, however, here’s my proof…View attachment 629695

Tesla has spoken and made the text huge for y’all
E3429AFD-0273-4ECB-8A55-C0F26163D1CE.jpeg

Via: https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1352828706243436545
Frank --- Just got 2020.48.35.5. Am I crazy or did they make the font larger on the MS? Speedo, range, gear selection... See anything in the code about that?
green @greentheonly Replying --- I don't see anything in the code but I just compared before and after picture and you are right, the font in IC is now bigger for the battery, gear selector time, temperature and speed
potentially also notifications.

lIHHuDy.jpg

Reactions: FMinMI
Via: https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1352828706243436545
Frank --- Just got 2020.48.35.5. Am I crazy or did they make the font larger on the MS? Speedo, range, gear selection... See anything in the code about that?
green @greentheonly Replying --- I don't see anything in the code but I just compared before and after picture and you are right, the font in IC is now bigger for the battery, gear selector time, temperature and speed
potentially also notifications.

lIHHuDy.jpg
I’m so envious you have album art.

• Funny
Reactions: Hank42
I thought he was joking about trunk/frunk
Yes, I was joking.

Mark95476, for context, others have complained about the placement of the text on the new graphic being confusing; is it a button for action, or is it a text representation of the status? This a good example of using a word that is a noun, adjective and verb as a label/button is a poor choice as its meaning is open to interpretation. Tesla's use of it requires other contextual clues to derive the intended meaning. On my S, the contextual clue is a (very low contrast) rectangle indicating it is a button that should be pressed to open the trunk/frunk.

The old original ui (2012-2014??) was extremely clear as to what was a button, and what was a label. Not saying it was "better", but it is an example of really driving home the meaning of the information on the screen.
upload_2021-1-23_12-13-27.png

So, I just came across @greentheonly's Twitter posts last night and this thread this morning. After the 2020.48.26.x update (which I got only in the last couple of days), I definitely noticed the difference. However, it wasn't the font sizes that bothered me most.

I think they also pushed the headlight and high-beam icons left or up or both. It's not so much that I can't see them if I want to, but my steering wheel now seems to cut the headlight indicator off just enough to make me duck my head to see it. It's obviously not critical to normal driving, but it's distracting.

Am I imagining things? Does this latest update change that at all?

Thanks

PS. That old Saab night driving interface was so awesome and arguably the height of night driving UI (the minimum light emitted necessary). Would be awesome to have that option in the Tesla, and it would be even better if they ever make these displays OLED.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Model 3 owners ignored ?
More complains needed !
The Model S/X interface was a much more easy fix. The Model 3/Y is much more profoundly borked by the recent update and will probably require a lot more work to fix. Unfortunately pride (and fanboys) would prevent them from just doing the easy thing and reverting to the pre-holiday UI for now.

After spending the last few weeks with the new UI(MY), I'm more and more irritated about the fascination Tesla has with displaying the car, other cars ahead etc, and the lack of proportion in general. (we do need to see cars in blind spots however)
1) Why on earth is the left side wider and the car, so low on the screen? Am I supposed to drive by looking at the screen, instead of out the windshield?!
2) Map etc, side it too small now. The proportion is completely wrong. I can't wait for some customization options.

Revisiting this thread, one month post major UI change. No further change to my M3 firmware. No info available about the reason for change has been offered by APP chat with appointment service, or phone call with local customer support. No answer to my question regarding where it is going, what to expect. No official suggestion that Tesla has any concerns, or is even looking into it. Tweet by EM in the middle of the night, meaningless to me. I accept that there will always be a difference of opinion, but I want Tesla to tell me why I must accept a display that is not what I bought into, and is hard for me to read. They don't even try. And while on the subject of difference of opinion, rather then arguing here about why it is better to have it one way or another, or dismissing people on the forum with jibes about it being first world problems, or your the problem, maybe we could agree that a touch screen touted ad nauseam with the sales slogan "Only gets better", never is better unless ability to cater to needs is built in simultaneous with change? The updated Tesla slogan should be "my way or the highway". It took this UI being shoved down my throat to realise what I bought into. Brand no longer recommended, due fear of next firmware. No ability to bypass negative primary driving display changes, and no clear firmware notes on what you are accepting, other then "visual and UI improvements".

After thought edit: What is the name for fear of firmware phobia?

Last edited: