Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update Download gets stuck at 50%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It never restarts, just remains in a constant loop at 50%
Why do you think it is in a loop?
It is quite common now that updates sometimes take about 3 hours to fully process, and these updates follow this same “stuck at 50%” issue. I am not sure if anyone outside of Tesla knows why this is the case, but I certainly consider this a bug, but Tesla seems to have little concern about fixing this widespread issue (since it was introduced earlier in 2022). Personally, I think the issue involves update software decompression, validation, and processing; NOT the actual download itself, which I think is fully complete at the 50% point, regardless what the on-screen messaging states.
Just make sure you have a good wi-fi signal, leave the car alone, and it will most likely finish in a few hours. If you reset the MCU, I think you might just make the problem worse.

Your answer sounds reasonable but considering the time the download has been stuck at 50% since 12/31 when I picked up the vehicle (new from the Tesla Service Center in Seattle). I'm home now in Alaska with my router connected to the vehicle since 1/2/2023 with the white circle of death spinning constantly. So, whatever the reason, it is not downloading, decompressing or, doing whatever downloads are supposed to do. I've submitted a service request but have not received any feedback which is odd. I saw where other folks had the same issue, reported it via their service app and received an over the air reset where the download successfully completed. Now there appears to be yet another update that I am unable to download as this one is currently spinning in the white circle of death.

@wmillerwjm see my thread —

The short version is you should call your local Tesla service center and ask them to remote in

Your answer sounds reasonable but considering the time the download has been stuck at 50% since 12/31 when I picked up the vehicle (new from the Tesla Service Center in Seattle). I'm home now in Alaska with my router connected to the vehicle since 1/2/2023 with the white circle of death spinning constantly. So, whatever the reason, it is not downloading, decompressing or, doing whatever downloads are supposed to do. I've submitted a service request but have not received any feedback which is odd. I saw where other folks had the same issue, reported it via their service app and received an over the air reset where the download successfully completed. Now there appears to be yet another update that I am unable to download as this one is currently spinning in the white circle of death.
Yeah, if it has been stuck that long, there certainly is a bigger issue than the usual “50%” issue.
The last time I had a software related issue and opened a service ticket with Tesla, they responded within 24 hours.
I would open Service Mode and reinstall your current software version. (there is a bunch of info on how to do this online). This will “reboot” the car more than a normal double scroll wheel reboot. This will also cause the car to re-sync up with its installed hardware. Many of us have done this after upgrading our ECUs.
After that, hopefully a “good” update will become available and start and complete successfully…