Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update Download gets stuck at 50%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine gets stuck showing 50% as well. However I believe maybe that's just how it's shown on the screen. Best thing to do is just ignore and check again in a few hours. It will eventually finish up and be ready for install

I've only had it with the last three or so updates. Yesterday I got 2020.20.8 (from 2020.20.7). I got the notification at work, parked in the garage at home and opened up the menu under "software." I watched the update download at a quick speed for about 30 seconds until it reached 50%. Then it simply stopped. The first time this happened I tried rebooting the car and turning wifi on and off again to see if I could jump start it. Nothing seems to work.

Yesterday, when it stalled at 50% I just left it (as I've learned nothing seems to make it start again) and about an hour later I got the notification on my phone that the update was ready to install.

Something is definitely happening that it's stopping these updates at 50% and then waiting for quite some time before downloading the rest. I feel for all the posters here that are downloading at a location with public wifi or using their phone as a hotspot. Luckily my garage has good wifi and the car can just do its thing and resume when it decides to.

I have No proof of this, however I think the "stuck" at 50% maybe just how the system is reporting it. The screen never shows individual percent complete, it makes large jumps in percent.
That could be -- I'll check next time I get an update. I watched the progress bar in the car for the first 50% and it only took about 30 seconds. Next time I'll sit and wait about the same amount of time to see if it comes up as complete shortly thereafter despite the progress bar stalling and the download speed being reported as 0mb/s immediately upon hitting 50%.

That could be -- I'll check next time I get an update. I watched the progress bar in the car for the first 50% and it only took about 30 seconds. Next time I'll sit and wait about the same amount of time to see if it comes up as complete shortly thereafter despite the progress bar stalling and the download speed being reported as 0mb/s immediately upon hitting 50%.
I hadn't noticed the download speed being reported as 0mb/s, that could be a definite indication that the download has actually stopped, maybe next time I'll need to check the mesh router and see if it's actually processing data to the car.

I've had it sit at 50% for over a day. I suspect it's something like a failed checksum, and the code doesn't do anything to handle it. There's definitely something bizarre going on. Or perhaps they've done something to throttle downloads to not overwhelm their servers and something about the algorithm is broken.

Just yesterday I figured out a workaround for OTA updates but it won't work for everyone.
The OTA update/WiFi hotspot issue has been a sore point for me ever since getting my Tesla.

my model 3 has done this with just about every update since I took delivery in June 2019. one time it did not work itself out and I had to call Tezzzla and they instantly cleared it up that time, but my downloads always stick at 50% with 0 B/s for a very long time, then suddenly it's at 100% and ready to install

My 3 does the 50% thing every single update for the last year or so, including 40.4 and 40.4.1.
I have tried deleting some unused games ahead of the updates thinking that would free some space to help the update process, but I don’t think it has helped.

Like someone said I am sure.it is.decompressing the update and checking checksums at 50% and again at 100%. Just be patient.
That's probably true but it negates the purpose of a progress bar as a human-interface feature. It's worse, in fact, than no progress bar at all, as it pretends to be one but does not reflect the actual state of progress. I run across this all the time with tech and it drives me nuts. Why even bother coding something that is the opposite of what it purports to be?

During the last update (2022.40.4.1) mine got stuck at 50% for 4 days. I put in a service request and they restarted the download, but it kept getting stuck between 30% and 60%. So I put a hard wired Access Point in the driveway. BOOM - fixed the download within minutes. I have a suspicion that either my wi-fi coming from the house was getting weaker or the cars wi-fi receiver was getting weaker. Can't really be sure ... I also at the same time connected the wall connector to the AP because it showed that it was getting between 25 and 35% signal. Now the wall connector is at 100%. Maybe ??

This has gotten far worse now…

While driving message that certain safety and auto pilot features are unavailable.

After third failed install, message on screen: contact Tesla service. additional message: cannot drive car during install!?!?

I called Tesla service two days ago, spent 45 minutes on the phone, to no avail, no ETA for fix.

2 mobile service guys came in two separate cars this morning, tried install again, failed!

So I haven’t been able to drive my car for two days
And counting, no offer of replacement, nothing at all. They said the service center would contact me…

So my only car is bricked, not good!
Any update!? What ended up happening??