Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update for "Home" Tailgate setting (please!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt I'm the only one with this wish for the Tesla engineers: When I pull in the garage the tailgate will hit the garage door if I don't set the adjustment to lower the tailgate, so I did. But then everywhere else in the world the tailgate only opens like it's in my garage, and I bump my head or have to stoop down to get into it. A simple software update to allow a "HOME" setting on the tailgate (like Tesla did for the mirrors and door locks) would be wonderful! Pretty Please?

I doubt I'm the only one with this wish for the Tesla engineers: When I pull in the garage the tailgate will hit the garage door if I don't set the adjustment to lower the tailgate, so I did. But then everywhere else in the world the tailgate only opens like it's in my garage, and I bump my head or have to stoop down to get into it. A simple software update to allow a "HOME" setting on the tailgate (like Tesla did for the mirrors and door locks) would be wonderful! Pretty Please?
Great idea! Tired of stooping due to the low lift gate opening to prevent it from hitting my garage door.

I'm backing into the garage for charging (ice cars cannot do this due to the fume so this is an added benefit of EV - loading the trunk inside the house is very convenient) and I have high ceiling garage so I don't need it (max opening position still doesn't hit the ceiling), but I think it's a good idea.

Reactions: X-pilot
I'm backing into the garage for charging (ice cars cannot do this due to the fume so this is an added benefit of EV - loading the trunk inside the house is very convenient) and I have high ceiling garage so I don't need it (max opening position still doesn't hit the ceiling), but I think it's a good idea.
That would fix my problem, but what a f*king hassle to back into the garage every time. Not gonna happen here.

That would fix my problem, but what a f*king hassle to back into the garage every time. Not gonna happen here.
I agree it is a hassle and needs more efforts than pulling in and backing out. I'm trying to find a cheat sheet (find some objects on the back-up screen to align) but still most of the time I find the car not in the middle and either have to do it again or just settle with the current biased position. Overall with the ease of loading, not having to worry about opening the hatch, and driving off nicely, it cancels out and make it about even for me. But the deciding factor was the location of wall charger. With backing in, I had more flexibility with the location of WC, which made the installation of WC much easier (I did it myself).

And what a show-off whenever I open the garage door! (the front view instead of rear)

I agree it is a hassle and needs more efforts than pulling in and backing out. I'm trying to find a cheat sheet (find some objects on the back-up screen to align) but still most of the time I find the car not in the middle and either have to do it again or just settle with the current biased position. Overall with the ease of loading, not having to worry about opening the hatch, and driving off nicely, it cancels out and make it about even for me. But the deciding factor was the location of wall charger. With backing in, I had more flexibility with the location of WC, which made the installation of WC much easier (I did it myself).

And what a show-off whenever I open the garage door! (the front view instead of rear)

I put a piece of tape about 1ft long on the ground once I figure out where to stop. Now when the bumper get to the tape in the monitor, thats where i need to stop. no more guessing and going in and out to see if the front is clear.

I put a piece of tape about 1ft long on the ground once I figure out where to stop. Now when the bumper get to the tape in the monitor, thats where i need to stop. no more guessing and going in and out to see if the front is clear.
Yes, depth is easy. What I struggle is to align the car in the right angle to the garage door so that it's parallel to the side wall and also in the middle/center of the garage opening (same distance to the both sides of the garage door).

I have an epoxy floor in my garage. I went to Amazon and bought two yellow plastic car wheel stoppers that I glued to the floor at the perfect spot, now I drive in hit them and it’s just right. Easy.

636FA65D-E51D-4A8F-861A-F33B02F19357.jpeg

You need white duct tape. Then measure and layout your “parking space”. I added a line in back to allow the car rear view camera to Show on the bottom of the rear camera view.

Attachments

• B0E2F2C2-67CF-4CD2-97F2-E21D1A5D4776.jpeg
    B0E2F2C2-67CF-4CD2-97F2-E21D1A5D4776.jpeg
    307.4 KB · Views: 60
YES! This feature would be amazing, I hit my head so many times on the hatch at stores trying to get things in! Would love this feature to open fully when not at home. Seems so simple! Elon get on it!!

Also as others have said, to help backing in, putting tape on the ground does help a lot! I have blue painters tape myself as guides, I just line up the lines on the screen so that I always stay within the blue tape and it helps get me in every time :) Still a pain to back in as I have a single car garage door and maybe 1-2" on either side of the mirrors :(