Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update over LTE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was led to believe that if you had Premium Connectivity, you were able to download and install new software releases via the car’s connection without the need for WiFi?

If that’s correct, my car doesn’t do that...

if WiFi is the only option.... I don’t know what to do.. my phones hotspot doesn’t show on the car and I cannot use the houses WiFi as I live in a block of flats..

also... how long does it take for a download and update? :)

You will get a notification for an update over LTE, but the download does need WiFi I’m afraid.

The upgrades vary in size, but are often one to several Gb in size. Once downloaded it takes about 30 minutes to install.

It use to (until some point last year iirc) I believe, but not now*. But you do get the notification via LTE.

* I did read something when the change took place that safety critical updates may still go via LTE. But what counts as safety critical update is any ones guess even if true. I've certainly not read about anything about an update being delivered via LTE since that change.

I have very limited experience, having only collected my car mid March. However, I have had the Personal Hotspot fail to appear when first trying to connect it. (iPhone 7).

I managed to get it discovered, by some or all of the following either combined or in isolation. o_O
Switching the hotspot off and on.
Switching car WiFi off and on.
Manually searching for my phone by typing the name of the hotspot into the car WiFi search.
Opening up the hotspot password edit without making any changes.
Going into the phone control centre and ensuring the device is discoverable.

Again don't know what phone you have and this is just my experience. Who knows.

Other options you may have are public WiFi spots e.g McDonalds when we get to drive again.

Or if you're not too far from a Tesla Service center it should autoconnect to their WiFi so you could just go there and have a free coffee too!

Reactions: Blueskye
I was led to believe that if you had Premium Connectivity, you were able to download and install new software releases via the car’s connection without the need for WiFi?

If that’s correct, my car doesn’t do that...

if WiFi is the only option.... I don’t know what to do.. my phones hotspot doesn’t show on the car and I cannot use the houses WiFi as I live in a block of flats..

also... how long does it take for a download and update? :)

Unfortunately I learned this as well that for Tesla updates it does require Wi-Fi which can be a pain.
If you do not have a suitable phone that works or the expense of purchasing another compatible phone
look on Amazon or elsewhere for a mobile wi_fi device like Tp-Link 4G LTE approx £39. It is the size of a small
computer mouse.
Then all you have to do is buy a pay as you go sim and fit it to your device.
I purchased the £40 24gb Pay as you go Internet with legs sim which gives you 2 years to use up all your sim memory unlike
some where you have to use your allocation up within a month.
Admittedly there is an outlay of approx £80 but that should cover all Tesla updates for 2 years and it is considerably cheaper
than purchasing or taking out an expensive mobile phone contract.
My mobile wi-fi device just sits on the centre consul and it is just used a Tesla wi fi hot spot instead of my phone.
In fact just updated from 20.4 to 20.8.3 this morning and it worked fine.
You were asking about how long the updates take the longest part of the update is the download roughly about 40mins depending on the size but the install is usually quicker and usually takes approx 30 mins or a little less.
Hope this helps.

My phone's hotspot (on Three) has been great, the car has no issue finding it and I've downloaded all updates for over a year using this method.

I did a test with a 4G modem and the Model 3
GiffGaff SIM no joy, getting the message "Can't get IP number etc" (Works fine with iPad, Laptops, printers etc etc)
Smarty SIM boom no issues and download updates

GiffGaff SIM in iPhone no joy, getting the message "Can't get IP number etc"

GiffGaff lives on O2
Smarty lives on Three

It might have to do with the VPN connection the Model 3 wants to create? No idea

Well my LRAWD informed me of an update (2020.4.2) the other day and as I was having issues trying to authenticate my phone as a key I set it to update - took about 25 mins. I don't see any reference to WiFi on the screen or in the manual. My screen says LTE.
Has anybody had issues with the phone authentication? I cannot get any response on the app when I touch Phone Key. Also tried from car 'Controls>Locks' but that just gives me a picture of a phone or the Fob/Key card neither of which do anything.
The car is connected ok via Bluetooth for media/calls.

For those asking I have an iPhone XS Max and use my hotspot constantly with many devices with no trouble.

I am thinking that it could be the location where I tried as its a half underground carpark and the reception is on and off o2 works but 3 (which I had until not too long ago) the whole building is a black spot (I.e. no connection whatsoever even 3G!!!

but that we here I park..
I’ll try to see when I go for shopping and see if it works...

can you drive while it’s downloading? If not...
Can you download the update but install it later like a few hours later? Or does it have to be one after the other?

thanks to everyone for your comments :):):)

I have very limited experience, having only collected my car mid March. However, I have had the Personal Hotspot fail to appear when first trying to connect it. (iPhone 7).

I managed to get it discovered, by some or all of the following either combined or in isolation. o_O
Switching the hotspot off and on.
Switching car WiFi off and on.
Manually searching for my phone by typing the name of the hotspot into the car WiFi search.
Opening up the hotspot password edit without making any changes.
Going into the phone control centre and ensuring the device is discoverable.

Again don't know what phone you have and this is just my experience. Who knows.

Other options you may have are public WiFi spots e.g McDonalds when we get to drive again.

Or if you're not too far from a Tesla Service center it should autoconnect to their WiFi so you could just go there and have a free coffee too!
Same here... collected mid March and this is the first update that showed up...

Do you know anything about premium connectivity? Like how do we pay for it if we want to?

Same here... collected mid March and this is the first update that showed up...

Do you know anything about premium connectivity? Like how do we pay for it if we want to?

I’ve had my car 6 months and other than 2020.8.3 recently I hadn’t had an update since January.

Premium Connectivity - you bought it with your car or you didn’t. In the USA Tesla have it in the Upgrades section of your online account. I guess that means ‘coming soon’.

Everyone gets a free trial of Premium Connectivity in the UK. SR+ is 30 days. LR & P is a year. However I believe this is currently running indefinitely until it appears as an upgrade over here. Long may it continue.

I haven't heard of any UK owners losing access to Premium Connectivity. If any one has I'm sure they'll let us know.

Having only installed one update, I'm not confident enough to give a definite answer, other than you cannot drive whilst the car is actually installing the update. Don't know about downloading whilst driving or separating the download and install.

Does anyone know if tethering a phone on the front USB ports will work, rather than setting up a WiFi hotspot. Even if it does work it might be that the car's "hardcoded" to insist on using WiFi for firmware anyway?

Screenshot_20200405-112238.png