Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I participated in the LR RWD Waiting Room thread actively while awaiting delivery of my M3. Once I took delivery I figured the waiting is over and I'm done. Well, now I find myself "waiting" for a software update. What I find a bit frustrating is that when I placed an order for my M3 it was quoted as having 325 miles of range and 0-60 time of 5 seconds. But it was delivered with 2019.15.4 so the real range was 310 miles and the 0-60 time was 5.2 seconds. I eventually nudged Tesla chat support to push an update out to me...all the way to 2019.15.5. And that's the last I've heard from them. Of course our other M3 (also LR RWD) gets updates almost immediately and is now on 2019.8.5. So I thought I'd set up a waiting room for those of you who are sitting around wondering why all of these new features are rolling out and we are just hearing about them from others wondering when our turn will arrive.

What version are you on, how long have you been waiting and what if anything have you done to nudge things along?

• Disagree
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
Make sure that the car has a connection to Wi-Fi.

Then just sit and wait. It often takes about 2 months for updates to make it around the fleet. And at this point, there seems to be some specific targeting going on, so some cars get one update, others get another.

Truly, your only recourse it to sit back and chill.

I'm on 2019.8.5 and just got it within the last week.

Think boiling water......

I participated in the LR RWD Waiting Room thread actively while awaiting delivery of my M3. Once I took delivery I figured the waiting is over and I'm done. Well, now I find myself "waiting" for a software update. What I find a bit frustrating is that when I placed an order for my M3 it was quoted as having 325 miles of range and 0-60 time of 5 seconds. But it was delivered with 2019.15.4 so the real range was 310 miles and the 0-60 time was 5.2 seconds. I eventually nudged Tesla chat support to push an update out to me...all the way to 2019.15.5. And that's the last I've heard from them. Of course our other M3 (also LR RWD) gets updates almost immediately and is now on 2019.8.5. So I thought I'd set up a waiting room for those of you who are sitting around wondering why all of these new features are rolling out and we are just hearing about them from others wondering when our turn will arrive.

What version are you on, how long have you been waiting and what if anything have you done to nudge things along?
Make sure car is on WIFI every night, if you feel you should be getting an update, restart car. That one worked for me to get 5.15. Other than that just wait, I downloaded 8.5 within 5 minutes of being home on wifi. Reaching out to telsa helps to know if your car failed to get an update or if it didnt download. Otherwise just wait it out, on update 9.12 you will have the ability to see if your car is downloading the most current update available.

I'm always on Wifi at home. And yes, I've tried rebooting, powering off, deleting the Wifi connection, swinging a chicken above my head while chanting a prayer to the Tesla overlords...none of this makes any difference at all. So I've stopped trying and that's why I decided to create the waiting room thread. At this point it's pure curiosity for me to see how the updates are distributed to different cars. My main motivation at this point is to see if later versions provide a more stable version of Dashcam and Sentry. The one I have now is completely useless for either of those features. And I suppose the 5% power increase would be nice to have, although I doubt I'll notice the difference.

I'm always on Wifi at home. And yes, I've tried rebooting, powering off, deleting the Wifi connection, swinging a chicken above my head while chanting a prayer to the Tesla overlords...none of this makes any difference at all. So I've stopped trying and that's why I decided to create the waiting room thread. At this point it's pure curiosity for me to see how the updates are distributed to different cars. My main motivation at this point is to see if later versions provide a more stable version of Dashcam and Sentry. The one I have now is completely useless for either of those features. And I suppose the 5% power increase would be nice to have, although I doubt I'll notice the difference.

Ahh - I get your meaning now !! I'm on 2019.8.3 and I've lost the lane centering ability of TACC and NOAP. Car goes straight in curves and drifts when in a lane going straight. I wish I was still on 5.15. I made an appointment with the SC for next week to see what the problem is. Maybe they will give me the latest update as well as my spoiler and badge. My dashcam and sentry seem to work the same though.

In the beginning, I tried everything you did as well to get the updates. I've heard different responses from different Tesla Customer Service Reps on how these rollouts happen. I'm not entirely sure they know either.

Good Luck !

I think you mean 5.4 or 5.15 correct? Latest is 2019.12.

I got the 5.6 then 5 days later 8.5 and 2 days ago 8.6 ..all came while I'm at work using LTE...just have to be patient, your time will come. I don't think being connected to wifi matters.

Last edited:
I have been on 2018.50.6 forever. I do not have wifi access in my condo garage or workplace. I finally chatted online with a representative last week and he noted I had an update pending and it was waiting for wifi. Today, I decided to turn on my hotspot on my phone, connected the car to the wifi. Update began downloading in 2 mins as I saw my hotspot ap began using more data so I just left my phone in the car and locked it. Came back 3 hours later and 2019.8.5 was waiting for an install.

Reactions: Dre78
Running 2018.50.6 for a long time. Not too concerned as early v9 2019 versions seemed to halt before hitting Model 3 en masse (running theory is that Tesla will halt rollouts if certain bugs are found).

According to TeslaFi, 2019.8.5 is overwhelmingly the most installed version, and began rolling out on April 4th. I updated to 2019.8.5 on April 6th.