Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software updates stuck - car not drivable [self resolved after 1 hour]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car has been stuck at 60% software update. Can’t even charge or drive my car! Any solutions to this?
IMG_1726.jpeg

Check the strength of your Wi-Fi service where you park your Model Y. Starting in Q4 of 2022 I noticed Tesla software update downloads were taking much longer and sometimes would not complete for my 2020 LRMY. The Wi-Fi had always been weak but worked for over 2 years with no issues. Something changed, either the Tesla Model Y's Wi-Fi reception got worse or Tesla added additional layers of security and/or redundancy to the downloads. I solved the problem by installing a Wi-Fi extender.

Reactions: DrGriz
A little over an hour?
That doesn't surprise me. I think the real problem is that Tesla gives a time estimate on screen that is optimistic, and the text there doesn't mention that you can expect a pause in the action.

You're not the first one to assume a problem and post to the forum, when really it's just a bit of a waiting game in almost all cases. Tesla should make it more clear what to expect.

Check the strength of your Wi-Fi service where you park your Model Y. Starting in Q4 of 2022 I noticed Tesla software update downloads were taking much longer and sometimes would not complete for my 2020 LRMY. The Wi-Fi had always been weak but worked for over 2 years with no issues. Something changed, either the Tesla Model Y's Wi-Fi reception got worse or Tesla added additional layers of security and/or redundancy to the downloads. I solved the problem by installing a Wi-Fi extender.
The OP had already completed the download. It was stuck in the installation phase.

I had this same problem last night. The install got stuck at 60% for a long time, maybe 20 minutes. Then finally finished all at once. I was getting worried since I stupidly let it start the install while I was parked away from home! I was going to be stopped for way longer than the 25 minute estimate, but really started getting worried when the install got up to around an hour. Anyway, not going to risk that again.

Reactions: fholbert
Same issue here. I added an extender in the garage and it's been working great

Reactions: jcanoe
The OP had already completed the download. It was stuck in the installation phase.

I had this same problem last night. The install got stuck at 60% for a long time, maybe 20 minutes. Then finally finished all at once. I was getting worried since I stupidly let it start the install while I was parked away from home! I was going to be stopped for way longer than the 25 minute estimate, but really started getting worried when the install got up to around an hour. Anyway, not going to risk that again.
(Note to self: never initiate an OTA software update away from home, unless stopping overnight somewhere secure!)

Reactions: SO16
(Note to self: never initiate an OTA software update away from home, unless stopping overnight somewhere secure!)

You see, this is my issue. I've started to only update when the car is not parked in our underground garage so that if there's a problem and the car bricks itself, I don't have to get towed from underground.

But since a very long install that failed multiple times, I've stopped doing it at the Tesla SC (where I used to do it) and have started doing them at a ground level parking lot near my home so I can at least walk home during a long install and not have to sit there in a car unable to come and go as I please.

I stupidly installed an update before leaving for a trip. One of us 🙄 let the other of us 😒 know they didn't appreciate sitting in the car for 10 minutes before leaving. Oh, and one of us is notoriously late and it's not me.

Note to Self: Don't start an OTA update and then go into the food store and buy ice cream. A quoted 25 minute update time turned out to be well over an hour. I called Tesla support to tell them that the car was undrivable. They only took a recorded complaint. Apparently, melting ice cream does not qualify as an emergency.

Unless it's winter or you have a spoon, then all bets are off. (Desperate times require desperate measures.)

Last edited: