TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Software Version 9 for Non-AP/Classic Cars

Discussion in 'Model S' started by dgpcolorado, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Knightowl

Knightowl Whovian

Yes on mine it shows both defrosting and battery heater on when warming the car, that was what I ment.

2. flipb

flipb Member

Is it possible that Range Mode was switched on?

• Like x 1
  3. migselv

migselv Member

Range mode is OFF. Power saving is ON, always connected is ON.
    This is the setting I have been using since early 2017.

4. skhenry81

skhenry81 Member

Version 9 IMO is better now than when it launched. Update your car already.

• Funny x 2
  5. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Does it let me have the rear view camera on top, and the nav on the bottom? If not, then no.

• Like x 1
  6. skhenry81

skhenry81 Member

You can have the camera at the top yes.

7. flipb

flipb Member

My default in V8 was camera on top, media on bottom. I rarely used Nav because I prefer Waze (on my phone, mounted next to the MCU). I resisted going to V9 until this mode was replicable.

V9 has the Nav as the MCU background at all times. Opening Media and/or Camera shrinks the size of the Nav portion and squeezes it toward the top, since the other apps launch from the bottom. With large Media and Cam open, Nav takes up about the top 3" of the MCU. You can also reduce the size of the media player (or remove it altogether) which would make Nav larger, but it will be above the camera view. The smallest Nav (3" above media+camera) is still fairly usable.

Further, if you use guided navigation, you can still have the next turn appear in the Instrument Cluster, which (IMO) reduces the need for seeing larger Nav on the MCU.

Just my experience, YMMV.

• Informative x 2
  8. markb1

markb1 Active Member

So it sounds like the answer is no. V9 still does not support camera on the top half while nav is on the bottom half. That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure if they had finally fixed it.

• Like x 1
  9. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado high altitude member

Release notes for 2018.50.6:

Firmware update 2018.50.6 2221crop 2-2-19.jpg
    Nothing of significance for classic cars save, perhaps, the phone app control of seat and steering wheel heaters. (Those warm up so quickly I am puzzled why anyone would want to preheat them.)

• Informative x 2
  10. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

This seems to be the latest "firmware for classics" thread...

Does anybody have seat heaters via the app working correctly?

I can turn the car HVAC on, but no matter what setting I have the seat heaters on via the app, my seats never appear to be warm once I get to the car.

My car is an early '13, so not sure if that's the issue, or if it perhaps it's something folks with later cars are experiencing as well?

11. coinneach

coinneach Member

I'm still on 2018.48.12, but since I don't have my tags yet, TM won't register the car to me. I've seen a couple of weird one-offs, be interesting to see if they recur once I'm updated.

12. gmo43

gmo43 Member

Yes mine work 2014 no ap and on firemfire 50.8

• Like x 1
  13. whitex

whitex Active Member

My 2015 same issue. One workaround I found, which works about half the time, is turn on HVAC let the car pre-heat for few minutes, then go back to the app, turn off seat heater, then turn it back on - same for heated steering wheel (I know, not an issue for 2013 cars).

14. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

I think my may be working now after a recent firmware upgrade...

15. dgpcolorado

Got updated from 2019.12.1.1 to 2019.16.2, apparently a wide release. As usual, the thread about "16.X" is all about AP — good luck teasing out any info useful to pre-AP cars.

One fix I have already noticed is that the folder view sort order in USB media has been corrected. In 12.1.1 my longest folder — more than three hours — didn't have the tracks sort in the correct order even though it worked fine in previous firmware versions. (Folders of seventy minutes or less sorted correctly.) In 16.2 all my folders sort correctly in "folder view," the most useful way to play USB media IME.

The release notes for 2019.16.2:

Firmware release notes page 1crop_2278 5-30-19.jpg
    Firmware release notes page 2crop_2279 5-30-19.jpg
    Firmware release notes page 3crop_2280 5-30-19.jpg

• Informative x 3
  16. migselv

migselv Member

I have read some people reporting that their Typical/Rated Range has dropped after upgrading to 2019.16.x. There was also evidence presented from ScanMyTesla (before and after upgrade) which shows a reduction in useable kWh when full which would explain the lower TR/RR.

Is that something you observed too?

17. dgpcolorado

Can't say yet. I rarely charge to a high SOC except when on a road trip, so no good frame of reference. (I keep my SOC low so that I have regen to descend a steep hill when I leave home.)

18. migselv

migselv Member

If you charge to the same level on a regular basis you should be able to notice that instead of the usual 180 miles of range the car would only present you with 175 miles now (just a fictive example). That is, if Tesla really introduced some reduction of usable energy of course.

19. CliffG

CliffG Member

I have not noticed that; I'm still getting 233 @ 90%. (or is that not the metric you were referring to?)

20. dgpcolorado

I adjust my charge level frequently, and only 90% and 100% have fixed levels that can be somewhat reliably set. Next time I have a chance to charge to 90% (89% in my car) I'll try to get a rated miles read — I leave my car set at %SOC, not RM. I did see 174 RM at 99% a week ago on my recent road trip, so my car has been pretty stable prior to the latest firmware update; it read 176 RM at 100% three months ago..