Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software versions for Powerwall 2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long did it take for the local authorities to grant permission to Tesla to install the powerwall ? I live in alameda county Union City , according to my email it read that it could take a couple of days or weeks, is this true, and how long before a PTO is given from PG&E before I can turn on the battery

How long did it take for the local authorities to grant permission to Tesla to install the powerwall ? I live in alameda county Union City , according to my email it read that it could take a couple of days or weeks, is this true, and how long before a PTO is given from PG&E before I can turn on the battery

It can take PG&E months for the formal Permission to Operate (PTO). For me it took 126 days from when the Powerwall installation was completed to PTO.

I just found new app functionality in conjunction with Time Based Control - Time Based production and usage totals for your TOU periods.

2018-05-10_14-36-16_000.jpg

Tesla iOS app version 3.3.6

Reactions: GenSao
Miimura did you have solar installed before your Powerwalls was installed, or did you have both solar and Powerwall installed at the same time, in my case my solar system has been installed months before my Powerwall, so hopefully a PTO from the utilities is not needed as you explained.

Miimura did you have solar installed before your Powerwalls was installed, or did you have both solar and Powerwall installed at the same time, in my case my solar system has been installed months before my Powerwall, so hopefully a PTO from the utilities is not needed as you explained.

I'm in the same boat, Solar was pre-existing, but you still have to have a PTO.

What if you turn on the battery once , just to charge it 100% and use it only for backup only until you get a PTO from the utilities to use all the functions, will it be a penalty on me from the utilities if they find out ? Just wondering , having a dead battery with no charge in it must not be good for the life of the battery, any thoughts out there?

I have a 5 year old solar system based on Enphase micro-inverters (as you can see in my sig). Powerwalls were commissioned 2/1, passed county inspection 2/16 and I got PTO from PG&E on 4/20. I have not looked into the operation rules (pre PTO) beyond what the installer manager told me.

My understanding is that for solar you MUST wait for PTO to turn on the system. My Powerwall installer told me that the since we already had solar we did not have to wait for PTO to turn the Powerwalls on.
Same here. Here in SCE territory, our energy storage PTO was granted over a month after Tesla installed and turned on our Powerwalls. We already had solar.

I think Tesla has some leeway here because the Powerwalls are not configured to export to the grid, and they don't increase the maximum, potential power that our solar PV can push to the grid at any given point in time. (With TBC during Peak hours, I understand that Powerwalls enable all PV generation to be exported rather than self consumed, but from a grid standpoint that's not significantly different than if we were to go away on vacation and turn off almost everything in the house.)

Honestly, I'm not even sure why PTO is needed at all for a non-export energy storage system. Maybe it's just to enable the utility company to keep tabs on the deployment of systems that have the potential to significantly alter customers' energy use profiles.

I just received my price offer ( DocuSign ) from Tesla today and yes they wanted to install 2 powerwalls for a whole home backup so I elected to go with a partial backup system to lower my price, my only concern is that they want to charge me over 2700$ for the install , I already have a brand new main service panel connected to my solar panels so I’m a little confused as to the installation price that is quoted to me. Any suggestions out there about this would be appreciated

Telsa Installs are very expensive. And, in my case they damaged my main panel, claimed they’d fix it, then delayed six months, ignoring my repeated requests for help. Weeks would go by. Months went by. They NEVER fixed what they damaged. They claimed they never agreed to do the work.

Now, they won’t answer my emails. They refuse to fix their damage. They won’t update my firmware. They won’t activate the TOU feature on my system.

Stay away from Tesla until they get serious about meeting schedules and commitments.

Just got some installed today (2019/May) but it's running 1.7.0-GF (!!) which then refuses to update.

Says:
"Update Failed: Connectivity issue. Please retry the updater."

This is via ethernet, WiFi, or SIM.
I have figured it out. I had to disconnect the Ethernet, reboot the Gateway, connect directly to the Gateway's WiFi, force it to Cellular mode, and Internet Connection test a few times.

I'm now updated and commissioned to 1.35.2.

Just in time for OhmHour. Unfortunately, I'm on SCE so OhmHour is now meaningless.

I have figured it out. I had to disconnect the Ethernet, reboot the Gateway, connect directly to the Gateway's WiFi, force it to Cellular mode, and Internet Connection test a few times.

I'm now updated and commissioned to 1.35.2.

Just in time for OhmHour. Unfortunately, I'm on SCE so OhmHour is now meaningless.
Looks like the SCE and OhmConnect issue has now been resolved. I was able to cash out today, so its time to start taking the program more seriously again :)