Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software versions for Powerwall 2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PG&E doesn't have a different schedule for Winter and Summer rates, but they do have one hour offsets for a couple weeks twice a year because they don't follow the current DST schedule. That's 4 schedule changes per year.
4 per year is a lot better than how @zanary has been handling it so far, turning things on and off every single day!

PG&E doesn't have a different schedule for Winter and Summer rates, but they do have one hour offsets for a couple weeks twice a year because they don't follow the current DST schedule. That's 4 schedule changes per year.

If you're on the PG&E EV-A Plan, they don't have season times but they do have season rates rates.

They have Summer and Winter listed there, and they have different cost for peak, partial peak and non-peak for each of their two seasons.

URL for the document = https://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV.PDF

I took the data from their PDF, and I created this worksheet which I keep handy. I'll need it for when I alter the Time-Based Control once I get 1.14 or 1.15 on my Powerwall.

Attachments

• PGE EV-A Rates Graph.png
    PGE EV-A Rates Graph.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
4 per year is a lot better than how @zanary has been handling it so far, turning things on and off every single day!
I'm still doing that.

I go off grid at 6am and go back on grid at 11pm Monday through Friday, and at off grid at 10am, and back on grid at 9pm on Sat and Sun.

Been doing this since September 15 and hopefully on my last 30 days of doing this

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
In my area (SCE) the seasonal changes are only in the rates, not the On-Peak/Off-Peak/Super Off-Peak times.
Even if the hours don't change I'll adjust my strategy in winter. Since SDG&E EVTOU2 Peak and off Peak are only a penny apart, it's hardly worth the wear one the batteries to cycle very much each day. I'll probably drop way down, just enough to cover my annual SGIP requirements.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
Here is what I plan to do.

Weekdays Non Peak start = 11:05pm
Weekdays Non Peak stop = 6:55am
Weekend Non Peak start = 8:05pm
Weekend Non Peak stop = 2:55pm

I have two Powerwalls, one more coming, so that should be sufficient time to charge them up. No need to put in Partial Peak into the app since I'll keep my reserve at 33%, which means (from a capacity perspective, not a physical perspective) one of the Powerwall capacity will be for reserve (ie, PG&E Power Failure), and two of them will be for daily household use.

On the days when I run my AC for about more than 3 hours, then it will deplete me to my reserve, and I'll switch to grid possibly during peak hours, but that doesn't happen too often per year, so I'm Ok with that.

Agreed. In our area the only time the PWs will be doing any significant time shifting is during the 5 month Summer season. During the Winter season the difference among the three time periods on the EV-TOU2 schedule is only a penny as you mentioned compared to the $.30 difference during the Summer season.

Even if the hours don't change I'll adjust my strategy in winter. Since SDG&E EVTOU2 Peak and off Peak are only a penny apart, it's hardly worth the wear one the batteries to cycle very much each day. I'll probably drop way down, just enough to cover my annual SGIP requirements.

If you're on the PG&E EV-A Plan, they don't have season times but they do have season rates rates.

They have Summer and Winter listed there, and they have different cost for peak, partial peak and non-peak for each of their two seasons.

URL for the document = https://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV.PDF

I took the data from their PDF, and I created this worksheet which I keep handy. I'll need it for when I alter the Time-Based Control once I get 1.14 or 1.15 on my Powerwall.
Your link is old. Here is the new EV tariff document, updated 3/1/2018: https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV (Sch).pdf

Also, the point I was trying to make is from this paragraph:
DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ADJUSTMENT: The time periods shown above will begin and end one hour later for the period between the second Sunday in March and the first Sunday in April, and for the period between the last Sunday in October and the first Sunday in November.
So, today, and until Sunday April 1, 2018, the peak hours are 3-10pm instead of 2-9pm.

I'm still doing that.

I go off grid at 6am and go back on grid at 11pm Monday through Friday, and at off grid at 10am, and back on grid at 9pm on Sat and Sun.

Been doing this since September 15 and hopefully on my last 30 days of doing this

zanary,

When you restore utility power, how long does the PW take before reconnecting to the grid? I'm curious to know the approximate time it takes to sync up and qualify the line.

Thanks.

The Daylight Saving time rules changed in 2007. Is PG&E really 11 years behind the times on this?

SCE switched at 2am this past Sunday.
Yes, PG&E is really behind the times on this. I have to assume that the PUC has given them a pass on this based on the assumption that it doesn't really make a big difference to anyone. If they could purge all the TOU non-Smart meters, it would be a software change only.

Your link is old. Here is the new EV tariff document, updated 3/1/2018: https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV (Sch).pdf

Also, the point I was trying to make is from this paragraph:
DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ADJUSTMENT: The time periods shown above will begin and end one hour later for the period between the second Sunday in March and the first Sunday in April, and for the period between the last Sunday in October and the first Sunday in November.
So, today, and until Sunday April 1, 2018, the peak hours are 3-10pm instead of 2-9pm.

Interesting. Thanks. Looks like the new PDF is effective 13 days ago. I just went to the PG&E web site and look dup EV-A, and is still took me to the old PDF. I guess they have forgot to update it.

Either way, the same times apply I think but it's just a small increase in the kw pricing per hour.

Got 1.15.0 PG&E. No TOU in app after update. Update was 95MB. View attachment 286330
You should call or email them. I'm guessing while you got the firmware, they haven't activated it for your Powerwall since it's a controlled rollout..

When you go into the app, does it only show Backup-only under the Customize menu option?

BTW, what wifi are you using that gives you data consume by each wifi connected device?

zanary,

When you restore utility power, how long does the PW take before reconnecting to the grid? I'm curious to know the approximate time it takes to sync up and qualify the line.

Thanks.

Before 1.12, after I flipped the breaker back on (so I was back on grid) it would take nearly 5 minutes and that was by design to eliminate overloading the grid when power does come back on and everyone immediately starts sucking. However with the 1.12, I've noticed that it's reduced considerably. It's almost randomly picking a value from 2 minutes to 4 minutes. I can't narrow it down, because it's seems random.

Note: When I manually go off grid or back on grid, there's no impact to any of my house electronic equipment. LED lights I have in the ceiling do have a ever so quick flicker, but it's not noticeable unless you're looking at the lights from the corner of your eye or record it on your iPhone X using the slow motion when it's set to 1080P @ 240 FPS.

• Funny
Reactions: NuShrike