Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lklundin

Oct 10, 2014
Bavaria
As a Tesla (Model 3) owner I have several ideas/ wishes for improvements to the software.
Since I can find no existing place where to collect opinions on these ideas/wishes from the Tesla community, I am creating a thread here.

Please make one wish/request per post. Each post should be specific with limited scope (e.g. not "Fix FSD").
Up- or down-vote requests of others to indicate support or lack thereof that Tesla should please implement this.

Please indicate clearly if your suggestion is specific to a given car (S/3/X) or to the app, or to Tesla solar/powerwall.

When the brake is pressed and the right stalk is pressed to 'D', the console should display not a large '0' but a large 'D'. Same for reverse, i.e. a large 'R' when the car is put into reverse. When the brake is released, the actual speed ('0' at first) should be displayed.

This can help some (elderly[*]) drivers to ensure that the desired driving direction is selected.

[*] And Nico Rosberg (at 6m0s):

When the car is charged at a non-Tesla charger, the charger's location is added to the car's navigation system's list of possible chargers.

Along with the location, the maximum charge power that the car has experienced at that charger should be remembered and displayed together with the location.
On the navigation map these non-Tesla charge points should be color coded according to this maximum experienced charger power, with the current red for Tesla v2 Superchargers reserved and a different color reserved for v3 Superchargers.

When the brake is pressed and the right stalk is pressed to 'D', the console should display not a large '0' but a large 'D'. Same for reverse, i.e. a large 'R' when the car is put into reverse. When the brake is released, the actual speed ('0' at first) should be displayed.

This can help some (elderly[*]) drivers to ensure that the desired driving direction is selected.

[*] And Nico Rosberg (at 6m0s):

Lol, good one! I know that Nico's retired, but at 34 would we call him "elderly"? ;)

Good suggestion though! :cool:

Cheers!

Double or triple the thickness of the regen line on the model 3 display.
Its very hard to see. IE I use this when maximising range.

Its just below the speed. Shows how much is being recovered by regen.
Excellent idea. Also add an optional audible tone like the variometer in a glider plane (the undisputed world champions at efficiency)

Cheers!

When autopilot can't/won't/doesn't work, let me still have TACC. If it's a sensor issue that would make TACC hazardous, then can I at least have dumb cruise control?

I drive long distances through territory with little charging infrastructure with a canoe, bikes or roof box on the roof. In northern Canadian winter too. Often my autopilot goes on the fritz and it can be really difficult maintaining my calculated speed for hours so I can arrive at my destination instead of with a dead battery.

Of course, not having autopilot die would be preferable, but since it frequently does for me, then please give me some kind of cruise control. Please!

When I try to unplug my charging cable the car refuses to unlock the cable so that it can be removed. However, standing in the same place, if I push in the rear door handle a little, not enough to pop the door open, the car jumps to life and then I can unlock the charging cable. Same thing happens with the trunk release. Since my phone is in exactly the same position relative to the car, it's obvious that the car can sense my phone's presence. It's simply that the car won't "look for it" when I press the button on the charge cable, but will when I push in the rear door handle/trunk release. Please make pressing the button on the charge cable look for my phone, just like when I push on a door handle or the trunk release

Model 3

AP and TACC use the higher of current vehicle speed and speed limit. Quite often, the speed limit (as stored in the map) is wrong, for instance in my neighborhood. It's a 30 km/h zone and TACC wants to accelerate to 50 km/h.
If the system would default to the lower of actual and allowed speed, it would at least err on the safe side. Most co venient would be to simply keep the speed. The current implementation requires some frantic scroll wheeling and makes it basically unusable in these situations. Even if the speed limits where correct (sign recognition would help), I may have good reasons to stay below.

When I try to unplug my charging cable the car refuses to unlock the cable so that it can be removed. However, standing in the same place, if I push in the rear door handle a little, not enough to pop the door open, the car jumps to life and then I can unlock the charging cable. Same thing happens with the trunk release. Since my phone is in exactly the same position relative to the car, it's obvious that the car can sense my phone's presence. It's simply that the car won't "look for it" when I press the button on the charge cable, but will when I push in the rear door handle/trunk release. Please make pressing the button on the charge cable look for my phone, just like when I push on a door handle or the trunk release

Model 3

This works fine for me, both on the 3 (using proximity to phone) and the S (using proximity to key fob). The critical thing is that car must be unlocked to let you remove the plug, and that is either by proximity sensing or manually unlocking. Am wondering if you are moving ever so slightly from the charge port to the back door handle to unlock it, and maybe that is enough to unlock, or maybe your car is asleep and takes a bit to wake up.

Will try all this again and report back.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
AP and TACC use the higher of current vehicle speed and speed limit. Quite often, the speed limit (as stored in the map) is wrong, for instance in my neighborhood. It's a 30 km/h zone and TACC wants to accelerate to 50 km/h.
If the system would default to the lower of actual and allowed speed, it would at least err on the safe side. Most co venient would be to simply keep the speed. The current implementation requires some frantic scroll wheeling and makes it basically unusable in these situations. Even if the speed limits where correct (sign recognition would help), I may have good reasons to stay below.

This is something the S has but the 3 does not: the choice of setting TACC to current speed or the speed limit. I miss that capability on the 3, but I confess I don’t remember to use it on the S, and I really like having only 2 stalks on the 3 instead of 3 on the S, where there is a third and separate stalk on the left just for TACC and AP. Means I sometimes hit the turns signals instead of TACC or visa versa, and it is gonna take some getting used to jumping back and forth. But then, the 3 is my wife’s car, says here.;)

Make all writing on the screen at least 3 times bigger so I (and many many other people) can read it. The only number readable is the speed, for anything else I have to lean forward to get closer to the screen and squint and focus and look again = DANGEROUS !!!

A “large type” option would indeed be most appreciated by my wife, who is the primary driver for our model 3. In fact she takes it one step further, which I kinda like:

Have an option to squeeze the “next navigation step” display over into the left side, underneath the current speed display. She complains that the current location is too far for her to turn her head while driving, and she is not yet comfortable with using AutoSteer. All the other details of the next steps could still be where they are now, but some kind of really close heads up with “X.Y miles to your exit or right/left turn” would be great.

Either allow the speech reco to understand commands like "Wiper go faster", "Wiper on", "Wiper slower", or allow a double tap on the windshield washer button (left stalk) to turn the wipers on to the slowest setting and another double tap to make them go to the next faster manual setting, with a single tap making them go only once, as it does now, but also to turn the manual setting back to automatic. There are many times that I've seen the auto wipe function not work adequately, but it's a pain to look away from the road to use the manual settings.

Either allow the speech reco to understand commands like "Wiper go faster", "Wiper on", "Wiper slower", or allow a double tap on the windshield washer button (left stalk) to turn the wipers on to the slowest setting and another double tap to make them go to the next faster manual setting, with a single tap making them go only once, as it does now, but also to turn the manual setting back to automatic. There are many times that I've seen the auto wipe function not work adequately, but it's a pain to look away from the road to use the manual settings.

Great suggestion and please also give us voice controlled HVAC!
The voice recognition is cutting edge, so they got the hard part solved. How hard can it be to wire some more frequently UI items?

Shows how much is being recovered by regen.

I still love this view on our old 2013 Model S:
images