Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Eclipse Could Affect the Grid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

S'toon

Knows where his towel is
Apr 23, 2015
AB
Operators of Ontario’s power grid are bracing for a sharp drop in electricity generated by solar panels during a summer solar eclipse coming Aug. 21, CTV News has learned.

Those with commercial or residential solar panels will see a drop-off in generation when the moon passes between Earth and the sun, turning day into night. That will have those users – tens of thousands of them – switching over to the conventional grid, raising worries about overburdening a system that will already be running at a summer peak.

“We have significant quantities of solar in Ontario,” said Leonard Kula, CEO of the Independent Electricity System Operator, which operates the electricity grid in the province. It’s been preparing for the eclipse for more than a year.

“We will see a reduction of about 70 per cent of the solar generators in Ontario that on the day will be about 10 per cent of our supply.”

<snip>
Full article at:
Solar eclipse in August raising worries about Ontario's power grid

The President of the California Public Utilities Commission expressed some concern as well. California is not even close to the main shadow area.
Several months ago I read an interesting bit which revealed a 1/3 of CA power is imported due to growing sources of intermittent power gen within the state. Mostly from the NW and SW.....maybe the shadow will be impacting production zones typically relied upon by CA.

Idoco,
The challenge to this particular situation is the solar power level at the time that will be lost and the short nature of the dip it will cause.

Fossil fuel plants are not known for their instantaneous ability to ramp up, but batteries can. There just aren't enough battery resources yet installed.

In San Diego, the eclipse is only rated at a level of 50%, but we have well over 500 MW of rooftop solar generation online. So within a 3 minute period, if it turns out to be a sunny day - and it probably will, I would guess we could lose at least 300 MW of generation and then have it "come back on" in 3 minutes.

So to keep the power system stable, it's really two event, the loss of that much generation, and the reappearance...It will be interesting, that's for sure....

Here is a graph showing the dip in output of my rooftop solar system during the eclipse as experienced near San Francisco.

IMG_0412.PNG

@ecarfan, thanks for bringing this thread up to the top. I briefly looked for it, but didn't find it.

It's really interesting in the difference between the visible light change and the solar irradiance during an eclipse. People seem to intuitively judge the impact of the eclipse on solar production based off the rate at which the light drops. The amount of light doesn't seem to change until right around totality, but in reality, there is a gradual decrease in the amount of solar irradiance over the whole ~3 hour event. So the grid is adjusting over a 3 hour period, not a 3 minute period. Not to say the grid operators don't have to plan for it, but it's a much easier problem to deal with than what I was originally imagining.

Here's the graph from my solar system. I was a little close to the center line, so 93% coverage instead of ~73% coverage that resulted in your solar output graph. Partial eclipse time here was 11:36 through 14:04, which lines up exactly with the trough right in the middle of the day. It wasn't a clear day, so my production graph isn't a clean curve, but you can definitely see the impact of the eclipse.

Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 8.40.00 PM.png