Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panel Aesthetics - PSA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
379DE864-3ACC-4542-82B2-08FBFA0574B6.jpeg
I had a 12kw system installed a couple weeks ago. My wife and I were excited about the “low profile” and “panel skirts”.
I would say that my definition of low profile and Tesla’s are different. Going off pictures from Tesla, they appear lower than what other offer. After install, In my opinion there is no difference in what others offer.
The skirts look great from the street. After install, I learned that the back side of the panels do not get skirts. Unfortunately for me, I have a set of panels right outside my second story window. Just figured I would let everyone know that may be looking at a configuration that is visible from inside.

Yeah, I’m not sure that the panels are actually installed any lower than other panels, but the skirts give them a much cleaner and lower profile look, at least. I was aware that the skirts were only installed on three sides, but in my case the backs are not visible at all without being on the roof.

I don’t believe that there is anything special about the backs that would prevent them from installing skirts there, it’s just that in 95% of the cases the backs aren’t visible, so I’m sure it’s less expensive to leave them off. I wonder if Tesla would be willing to come back and install a skirt on the back of that array for you, possibly for an extra charge, since it is visible from your window. The only concern I have would be the fact that the roof mounts are behind your array instead of under it and it might be difficult to install the skirt without hitting the mounts. They could probably be moved in, but that would be additional work and require patching holes in your roof.

I did reach back out to Tesla and ask if I could purchase skirts for the back but they said it’s not possible due to the feet they use on the back.
High probability it’s more of a go away answer.

Also, you don't want to impede airflow under the panels, especially the exiting of hot air at the upper edge of the panel. Heat causes reductions in solar panel efficiency and thus output.

So, are the skirts easily removable? What happens when leaves get clogged up under the panels? Any way to wash or blow them out with those skirts on there? Not sure I'd want them on my panels. They do look good though.

So, are the skirts easily removable? What happens when leaves get clogged up under the panels? Any way to wash or blow them out with those skirts on there? Not sure I'd want them on my panels. They do look good though.

Even with the skirts on there’s a good inch and a half or two inches between the bottom of the skirt and the surface of the roof. It’s unlikely that leaves or anything are going to get caught up under there. I don’t believe that they are really designed to be removed, but they shouldn’t really hinder efforts to clean out under the panels if necessary.

The rendered images on the Tesla site definitely are misleading. I was a bit disappointed after seeing the install and comparing the difference. My installer did say for the tile roofs the roofer can use asphalt shingles in the section the panels are going to give a lower profile look, but this apparently has heat dissipation issues.

upload_2020-9-9_10-26-7.png

upload_2020-9-9_10-27-26.png

The skirts help hide the metal supporting bars. They still provide airflow and allow bird droppings or leaves to be hosed off the roof without trapping them under the panels during maintenance.

Speaking of bird droppings and such you may want to consider adding a pest abatement metal mesh to your panels and skirts. There is a forum thread on this that made me aware solar panels could be a perfect nesting spot for birds so we added talked to Tesla about adding this at time of install ($1500 for our 24 panel, two roof sections). Easy for the guys to do while on the roof but understand they can arrange for install afterwards as well. Or you could call a company yourself. They system is basically the same with a little in variation in support hardware.

Not sure if this is helpful to people but here’s a photo from the start of our panel install on a cement tile roof. The skirt is applied to the front here but not the side yet and you can see the gap difference. Tap to zoom in. I think the skirts look good and help to improve the view of the panels from the ground. OP looking at your install with the skirt it appears to me to be closer to the roof surface.

51F681C7-7508-496E-ABD9-3DA3E2E17C6C.jpeg

Last edited: