Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whats the feeling with Otovo then? I put in an initial enquiry and they've just called me. I'm getting very positive feelings from the call but there were some areas it felt like the person on the line wasn't fully aware of things (but I can put those down to her being more a sales person and me being well down the rabbit hole so asking very specific questions). She did say if I go to a next stage the Project Manager could likely cover them.

thoughts:

- They warned about efficiency of a north facing array but once I cleared up I understood that they were ok to proceed.
- pricing seems very reasonable especially at the moment. 10x415w panels + 9.12kwp pylontech setup and 3.68kw inverter £10300 (special offer, she originally said £10800). That includes £100 off using a referral code from here but is still cheaper than my Eon quote from last year for a similar sized install. They don't offer 0% but I think I can persuade my wife to do a one-off and then pay back the savings instead

She coudln't answer my depth of discharge or LFP questions which is fine - I can take a look at datasheets or ask online. But pylontech is presumably an internal install only. She mentioned building a cabinet outside but it'd have to be IP rated as I don't think the pylontechs would be - they're simple rack mount right? The other option was a growatt and I don't know anything about them but have heard them be mentioned here and there. Have to do more reading.

No bird protection included in the price - thats something they've been asked about a lot and are working to get their systems updated to include that as an option in the intiial quote, but they apparantly can look at that at the next stage - their subcontractors can handle it and they estimate around £500 on top

they said 2-3 months to install from order due to G98 timing. They can apprantly transfer G98 and I already have one from the Eon order which might speed things up.

Anyone have any other thoughts on Otovo, or thoughts about location for Growatt/pylontech batteries or their qualities generally?

summary costs - all were with 10x415W Trina panels and 3.68kw inverter, scaffolding and installation on a 2 storey building, and don't include optimisers or bird protection. no deposit, no payment until installed and running. warranty is with them which helps if subcontractors go out of business I guess.

- 9.12kwh pylontech (4x US2000C) + growatt 4000H inverter - £10724
- 10.12kwh pylontech (3x US3000C) + growatt 4000H inverter - £10374
- 13.68kwh pylontech (6x US2000C) + growatt 4000H inverter - £12822
- 12kwh growatt LFP (2x6kwh) (3.6kw growatt SPH3600) - £11800

(based on the 3000c seeming to have a discount I've gone back to ask for a price for a 4x3000c which should be between the 13.68 pylontech and the 12kwh growatt)

only thing I'm not sure about if if those systmes can also leverage my existing array which won't be touched. i.e do I need a separate inverter for that or specifiy an AC inverter? The eon install had a solis-1 inverter + a givenergy AC inverter. These all seem to just have an AC inverter.

Whats the feeling with Otovo then? I put in an initial enquiry and they've just called me. I'm getting very positive feelings from the call but there were some areas it felt like the person on the line wasn't fully aware of things (but I can put those down to her being more a sales person and me being well down the rabbit hole so asking very specific questions). She did say if I go to a next stage the Project Manager could likely cover them.

thoughts:

- They warned about efficiency of a north facing array but once I cleared up I understood that they were ok to proceed.
- pricing seems very reasonable especially at the moment. 10x415w panels + 9.12kwp pylontech setup and 3.68kw inverter £10300 (special offer, she originally said £10800). That includes £100 off using a referral code from here but is still cheaper than my Eon quote from last year for a similar sized install. They don't offer 0% but I think I can persuade my wife to do a one-off and then pay back the savings instead

She coudln't answer my depth of discharge or LFP questions which is fine - I can take a look at datasheets or ask online. But pylontech is presumably an internal install only. She mentioned building a cabinet outside but it'd have to be IP rated as I don't think the pylontechs would be - they're simple rack mount right? The other option was a growatt and I don't know anything about them but have heard them be mentioned here and there. Have to do more reading.

No bird protection included in the price - thats something they've been asked about a lot and are working to get their systems updated to include that as an option in the intiial quote, but they apparantly can look at that at the next stage - their subcontractors can handle it and they estimate around £500 on top

they said 2-3 months to install from order due to G98 timing. They can apprantly transfer G98 and I already have one from the Eon order which might speed things up.

Anyone have any other thoughts on Otovo, or thoughts about location for Growatt/pylontech batteries or their qualities generally?

summary costs - all were with 10x415W Trina panels and 3.68kw inverter, scaffolding and installation on a 2 storey building, and don't include optimisers or bird protection. no deposit, no payment until installed and running. warranty is with them which helps if subcontractors go out of business I guess.

- 9.12kwh pylontech (4x US2000C) + growatt 4000H inverter - £10724
- 10.12kwh pylontech (3x US3000C) + growatt 4000H inverter - £10374
- 13.68kwh pylontech (6x US2000C) + growatt 4000H inverter - £12822
- 12kwh growatt LFP (2x6kwh) (3.6kw growatt SPH3600) - £11800

(based on the 3000c seeming to have a discount I've gone back to ask for a price for a 4x3000c which should be between the 13.68 pylontech and the 12kwh growatt)

only thing I'm not sure about if if those systmes can also leverage my existing array which won't be touched. i.e do I need a separate inverter for that or specifiy an AC inverter? The eon install had a solis-1 inverter + a givenergy AC inverter. These all seem to just have an AC inverter.
Ah yes, bird protection.
I need to talk with installer about this separately as well. as I do not think this is too complicated but they did not offer it for me as well, but mentioned that more or less same.

I see that their approach on your side is more or less same as on mine.

Ah yes, bird protection.
I need to talk with installer about this separately as well. as I do not think this is too complicated but they did not offer it for me as well, but mentioned that more or less same.

I see that their approach on your side is more or less same as on mine.

You may not need bird protection, it depends what type of Pigeons you have on your house

Pigeons on my house or something like hybrid between eagle and cow.

there's loads of magpies too.

Yeah we have lots of Magpies, Wood Pigeons (white necks)... none are a problem.

The problem is Feral/Rock Pigeons. Green/Purple necks. They're hole seekers & territorial. They'll go under the panels, nest, shag, poo & die... making a right mess.

Wood Pigeons like bushes and trees to nest. Magpies like skating on the panels. But neither will go under them by choice.

Yeah we have lots of Magpies, Wood Pigeons (white necks)... none are a problem.

The problem is Feral/Rock Pigeons. Green/Purple necks. They're hole seekers & territorial. They'll go under the panels, nest, shag, poo & die... making a right mess.

Wood Pigeons like bushes and trees to nest. Magpies like skating on the panels. But neither will go under them by choice.
mine are mix I think.. some are purple/brown necked ones, others have line white band around the neck. will instruct my cat to catch one in order to check closely (once it recovers from never ending anxiety)...

£11800 for a 13.5kwh battery (4x3000c)

They did say I wouldn’t be able to charge the battery from my existing array which if true, is a dealbreaker. they say I need a separate inverter. But from the limited look at the inverters being offered, they look like AC inverters so would be charging the battery from AC. They haven’t quoted a separate inverter so I don’t know if thats a mistake - will they need one to convert the solar from DC to AC?

inverters quoted for are Growatt SPH4000 or SPH3600 - eg SPH 4000-10000TL3 BH-UP | Residential Storage Inverter | Growatt

Last edited:
Is that with the Tesla tariff? How does it model when that ends and going on to Go/Intelligent/Flux etc.?
No! Not Tesla tariff, I am IO and as I don't export anything, my net power costs are either zero when solar is working or 10p/kWh when it is not. I was on GO until 17 March, and after then the prices of what I acquired doubled. It's important to balance the power usage profile with solar and PWs.

£11800 for a 13.5kwh battery (4x3000c)

They did say I wouldn’t be able to charge the battery from my existing array which if true, is a dealbreaker. they say I need a separate inverter. But from the limited look at the inverters being offered, they look like AC inverters so would be charging the battery from AC. They haven’t quoted a separate inverter so I don’t know if thats a mistake - will they need one to convert the solar from DC to AC?

inverters quoted for are Growatt SPH4000 or SPH3600 - eg SPH 4000-10000TL3 BH-UP | Residential Storage Inverter | Growatt
same inverter for me.

AFAIK these are actually good inverters

I just received a quote from Otovo. What are your thoughts?
OTOVO.png

Reactions: btc1k