Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other problem is that after successful application they sent through a link to add bank details to facilitate payments but it's the worst, tortuous process ever. Seems to be Spanish..... tried it twice and each time it gave an error. Reported this to Scottish Power and lo and behold, nothing back.
I'm wondering if I just get on touch with octopus to get set up. But I still have no idea if I have applied for SP or not and if that will cause any issues if I then apply to octopus 🙄

Apparently Octopus are making a change today, so you can get on Outgoing Fixed (14p) or Agile (variable) for export, even if you're on Intelligent Octopus.
eh?

We're sorry, your import tariff is not compatible with Outgoing Octopus right now. If you'd like to apply for Outgoing, you can switch to one of our other standard tariffs or our Agile tariff, and check back here once that's done.
I am with IO

eh?

I am with IO
1693903972057.png

They've changed their site ahead of the change to allow it today.

that is the lamest excuse ever.

How can you crate the system where defacto most popular/most used browser "creates an issue" ?

it reminds me 10+ year old public procurement sites where you needed IE with activeX in order to upload tender :D
Yeah. Genuinely silly me because I went ahead and applied in spite of all the difficulties (not a good sign when you ask a question on email and they answer with a completely irrelevant answer!)

Let's see.

Apparently Octopus are making a change today, so you can get on Outgoing Fixed (14p) or Agile (variable) for export, even if you're on Intelligent Octopus.
Just received this email :-

"Good news:
we're increasing the rate you receive for your export from 4.1p/kWh to 15 p/kWh (that means the average person exporting 1,500kWh to the grid will earn over £150 more a year)

By the end of this week, we’ll upgrade your export tariff from Smart Export Guarantee (SEG) to our Outgoing Octopus tariff automatically - you don't need to do anything and the change will show in your online account."

"Good news:
we're increasing the rate you receive for your export from 4.1p/kWh to 15 p/kWh (that means the average person exporting 1,500kWh to the grid will earn over £150 more a year)

By the end of this week, we’ll upgrade your export tariff from Smart Export Guarantee (SEG) to our Outgoing Octopus tariff automatically - you don't need to do anything and the change will show in your online account."
Time to switch that too then!

Everyone's home assistant algorithms will need updated!

Reactions: phil4
Gah! Just when we were settling in to the Scottish Power 12p/kWh SEG. Oh well, the accountant (SWMBO) will be happy.

Ninja Edit: Suspect this is still not available for customers on IO/Go.
Definitely on IO, not sure about Go

"You're an important part of our advances to a zero-carbon future and our latest upgrades mean we’re now able to offer the higher paying Outgoing Octopus to our Intelligent Octopus customers.

By choosing Intelligent Octopus you’re part of Europe’s largest virtual power plant, meaning together we can help to dynamically balance the grid, favouring renewable energy when it’s abundant and reducing the need for heavily polluting power stations to come online."

Reactions: phil4
don't care about brown energy? I guess not if the net price they can make for export is more than they're paying you and the price they sell off peak is more than its costing them - you're basically doing what their intelligent flux does and their TEP used to.

"Good news:

Only available to existing customers? When I look seems 4.1p is rate for non current customers. I don't want to give up my fixed import tarrif with EDF yet...

• Informative
Reactions: PITA
I ran the comparison of Flux vs IO+Outgoing at the new rates for my data from mid-July to mid-August and it worked out £29 worse than Flux. However, as PV production falls away towards October this looks like a winning combination ahead of Saving Sessions returning (without in-day adjustment).

The daily arbitrage win from Flux likely to weaken once new rates are announced for October’s price cap reduction.

Last edited:
Ugh, it messes with my brain to think about. I got solar to be living off my own generation as much as possible, but now I'll be paying half as much to charge overnight as I will get for export, so it's better to charge and set things up to discharge that during the day s I get as much export a possible.

At night can I hotwire my import to my export somehow ?

• Funny
Reactions: PITA