Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Powers My Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just had my panels installed (19.25kw) and I'm waiting for the electric company to switch out my meter to a netmeter so I can be paid for my overproduction. They shut off the system until the netmeter is installed but the installer hinted that I could turn on the system and get free electricity, I just wouldn't get paid for my over production. I wasn't planning on doing this but I just read an article that said my electric company has the slowest average time out of the 13 states in the study (78 days average to swap out the meter).

What are your thoughts and what would/did you do?

Thanks!

I too urge caution as with my old meter it could not tell direction so I paid for BOTH usage AND production.

Sorry to double post about this, but that's how my meter worked. Since PG&E took over a month to turn me up, I just turned mine on mid-day, cranked the pool pump, charged the Tesla, and did everything to make sure I'd consume every kW, then turned it off when I was done. This works because you net out prior to it hitting the meter.

I was not aware of a 24kW residental limit in NY. why is that so?

Sorry, it's 25kW. Written into the NY State law, this is from the DEC website... "New York State law allows net metering for solar photovoltaic systems up to 25 kW in residential buildings, and up to 2 MW in commercial and industrial settings"

I am not sure why, but my hunch is because the infrastructure can't take it on a bright sunny day if everybody went all-out PV. Orange & Rockland (the utility here) recently stopped issuing PV permits for one of their areas due to this

also to those with experience, my builder used a engineered roof web truss system built using 2x4's spaced 24" on center. I have a huge south facing roof, 6/12 pitch. something like 70'x 20'. Will a roof system like this support a massive solar array system?
You imply that your house was built recently. Almost all houses built in the past 20+ years can support the weight of a solar array. Basically, a solar system weighs less than a second course of shingles. When your system is designed, the type of roofing system on your house, plus required wind & snow loads will be taken into account to assure the design meets code.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not sure why, but my hunch is because the infrastructure can't take it on a bright sunny day if everybody went all-out PV. Orange & Rockland (the utility here) recently stopped issuing PV permits for one of their areas due to this
That may be the excuse, but it seems unlikely that distributed solar generation could generate more electricity than the grid can take. It would be interesting to see any of the utility's technical documents on the topic.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd also like to make my periodic pitch to share your PV data at PVOutput and join our Tesla Owners & Friends team!

Our 17kW system provides a bit more than 80% of our household usage, including car, of course.

IMG_0059.jpg

So I just had my panels installed (19.25kw) and I'm waiting for the electric company to switch out my meter to a netmeter so I can be paid for my overproduction. They shut off the system until the netmeter is installed but the installer hinted that I could turn on the system and get free electricity, I just wouldn't get paid for my over production. I wasn't planning on doing this but I just read an article that said my electric company has the slowest average time out of the 13 states in the study (78 days average to swap out the meter).

What are your thoughts and what would/did you do?

Thanks!
I had the same problem when they installed my solar system. They told me I had to keep it shut off until the power company installed a new meter. However, the installer "hinted" that I could just turn it on myself and he thought my old meter would just run backwards. It was a very old mechanical meter. I tried it and it did run backwards when I was generating excess so I kept the system on. The power company did show up a month later to install the new meter and they weren't upset that I had the system on. The new meter shows separate totals for power going each way and my bill now shows both totals and the net charge.

I had the same problem when they installed my solar system. They told me I had to keep it shut off until the power company installed a new meter. However, the installer "hinted" that I could just turn it on myself and he thought my old meter would just run backwards. It was a very old mechanical meter. I tried it and it did run backwards when I was generating excess so I kept the system on. The power company did show up a month later to install the new meter and they weren't upset that I had the system on. The new meter shows separate totals for power going each way and my bill now shows both totals and the net charge.

Some electronic meters cannot handle bi-directional energy flow - in my case, they replaced my electronic with mechanical. Our co-op serves rural areas so it's still cheaper for them to have someone drive around the county for 2 days at the beginning of each month rather than needing all the expensive smart meter stuff.

You imply that your house was built recently. Almost all houses built in the past 20+ years can support the weight of a solar array. Basically, a solar system weighs less than a second course of shingles. When your system is designed, the type of roofing system on your house, plus required wind & snow loads will be taken into account to assure the design meets code.

it's being built right now. framing/roofing/drywall already done. siding being done now. interior being trimmed and finished. i made sure the rear south facing roof was pretty friggin big.

IMG_3086.JPG

IMG_3085.JPG

IMG_3087.JPG

Thanks for the responses. Is there anyway I can tell? I have a newer digital meter that has lines on the bottom that move across to the right when i am using electricity and to the left when I am producing more than I am using.

Sure, start charging your car, turn the inverter on, and see how fast/which way the meter is moving. Remember, the meter only sees what the net is. Your panels generate electricity, you use it, and the remainder is returned to the grid (or the deficit is consumed from the grid). So if you can slow down the progress of those lines on the meter, you're winning no matter the situation. You just might have to actively manage turning it on/off.

5.7 kW rooftop system. In the midwest, so there is snow, low winter sun, and partial shade from neighboring trees to deal with. We've only had the system since August, but it looks like over the course of a year, it will at least cover the car, and some part of our household use. Less than I would like, but it's what the geography will allow. Net metering and real-time pricing from ComEd, so I charge at night when the rates are a fraction of the day-time costs.