Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar production getting worse in Bay Area, California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello fellow bay area,

My 4kW system (installed in January 2021) production peaked in May and then got worse and worse over this summer.
I wonder if it is due to wild fire smoke or my panels just need cleaning.
Please share your data point, thanks!

1630695745676.png

June 20/21 (summer solstice) is the date of the highest solar irradiance in the Northern Hemisphere. Around that date is when our system hits its peak output. From there on out it is has been downhill, as expected.

Depending upon system configuration your system may peak earlier or later than that date, but it should be around that time of year.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: shaundidrake
Our production in central MA is definitely down this year, mostly due to the absurd amount of rain we've had this summer.

These are our readings for the past 5 years, starting 2017 (1st full year of install) - all data is Jan 1st to Sep 3rd each year

2017 - 5177 kWh
2018 - 5166 kWh
2019 - 5452 kWh
2020 - 5403 kWh
2021 - 4603 kWh

Thank you all. I guess I mistaken the July/August being the longest sunlight months.

July / August are the hottest months, but not the longest. Hopefully you were banking lots of juicy credits during the Spring/early-Summer. From here on out until next Spring, you'll probably be a net consumer of electricity each month.

Our production in central MA is definitely down this year, mostly due to the absurd amount of rain we've had this summer.

These are our readings for the past 5 years, starting 2017 (1st full year of install) - all data is Jan 1st to Sep 3rd each year

2017 - 5177 kWh
2018 - 5166 kWh
2019 - 5452 kWh
2020 - 5403 kWh
2021 - 4603 kWh
Rain is summer???? Here in California We put the convertible tops down in April/May and don't raise them up until Oct/Nov. Unless it is to keep the ash out from the forest fires. :eek:

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Electrph and h2ofun

2017 - 5177 kWh
2018 - 5166 kWh
2019 - 5452 kWh
2020 - 5403 kWh
2021 - 4603 kWh
Good point, I need to check my data for the past few years..... looks like the panels are getting old just like me.

What is your system size and roof orientation?
Size is about 30kw. The panels are all south, north and west. The north ones will get very little in the winter I expect. But, I hope I oversized enough that during the great months of like april to July, I can bank lots of energy for the winter use, since I am 99% electric with a big house.

I produced 4.8MKh in June.

Reactions: EL0NTRK
You are mini power station ..:)
I have NO idea how this is going to work 12 months a year. I plan to FINALLY keep my house warm in the winter!!!!!!!! So, will it be way too much, shall see. Still going to try and get some EV wiring in, since if its too much, will offer free EV charging to friends. :)

Bottom line if I want to use my batteries in the winter, got to be able to charge them when I am 75% down in solar production