Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar PV News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For someone on natural gas/propane, no impact there with cooking time on TOU. For those cooking with electric/induction/microwave, could still cook around that time and potentially save a decent amount if prior was also running things like washing machine, clothes dryer, dishwasher, pool pump(s), charging EV, etc.

Also TOU would encourage high SEER replacement units for AC and if using electric heat, replacing resistive with heat pump with high HSPF. TOU would also encourage running AC a little warmer during that widow.

I hear my neighbor's pool pump and hot tub run during high TOU times, and the efficiency part of me says ARGHH.

For someone on natural gas/propane, no impact there with cooking time on TOU. For those cooking with electric/induction/microwave, could still cook around that time and potentially save a decent amount if prior was also running things like washing machine, clothes dryer, dishwasher, pool pump(s), charging EV, etc.

Also TOU would encourage high SEER replacement units for AC and if using electric heat, replacing resistive with heat pump with high HSPF. TOU would also encourage running AC a little warmer during that widow.

I hear my neighbor's pool pump and hot tub run during high TOU times, and the efficiency part of me says ARGHH.
I do not run anything from 4 to 9, we very rarely use the A/C and all the pool and irrigation run early am. So cook top and oven are about it. My HVAC has been replaced with a more efficient unit as well as washer dryer.

Reactions: iPlug
InsideClimate News: Inside Clean Energy: The Coast-to-Coast Battle Over Rooftop Solar. Inside Clean Energy: The Coast-to-Coast Battle Over Rooftop Solar - Inside Climate News

There are big differences in the states’ approaches, but what they share is an awareness that regulations need to change to be ready for a market in which rooftop solar is much more common.
The result, following years of debate and lobbying, is that some states are moving away from net metering at the full retail price, and trying to figure out what will become the new standard. Utilities and the solar industry are arguing over the design of those rules, with some on both sides saying they would like to end the cycle of constant policy fights and figure out a long-term solution.

Any number of potential regulatory changes bode well for Tesla.

I think many will be surprised to see how they expand rapidly into the evolving home energy market with Powerwall products. Battery supply constraints should improve significantly in 2022 with their 4860 cell production taking off at Giga Nevada, Texas, and Berlin. We should expect to see them leading this industry by a wide margin with paired solar/battery installations.

Right now they are known mostly as an EV company, but would not be surprised for them to be as well known for energy storage in the near future.

Technology improvements and price declines have made solar and wind the least-cost option in much of the U.S. The next two to three years will be transformative, a new report said.
About 20,000 MW of new battery storage will probably be installed at utility installations around the country in the next four years. Battery storage passed the 1 GW marker for installed capacity last year.

Technology improvements and price declines have made solar and wind the least-cost option in much of the U.S. The next two to three years will be transformative, a new report said.
About 20,000 MW of new battery storage will probably be installed at utility installations around the country in the next four years. Battery storage passed the 1 GW marker for installed capacity last year.

It's annoying how often I hear 'off the cuff' comments about how 'free fusion' is right around the corner. It won't be free... and even if it actually WAS free it's still just heat. That heat still needs to be converted into electricity. That process is more expensive than wind or solar are today and the price is rising with inflation while renewables keep getting cheaper. The technology used to convert heat into electricity was flushed out decades ago while wind and solar are still improving almost exponentially.

The future will absolutely be dominated by wind and solar with RE H2 providing reliability because physics and economics.

I like that plan. A lot
I do to. I would also be in favor of pulling carbon out of the air or ocean and making synthetic hydrocarbons from that renewable H2 as well. Pushing renewable methane into the existing natural gas infrastructure would help decarbonize that energy usage before all those nat-gas consuming appliances can be replaced.

I do to. I would also be in favor of pulling carbon out of the air or ocean and making synthetic hydrocarbons from that renewable H2 as well. Pushing renewable methane into the existing natural gas infrastructure would help decarbonize that energy usage before all those nat-gas consuming appliances can be replaced.

The latest issue of Scientific American has an article about using renewable methane. Article title is "Can natural gas be part of a low carbon future"?

RT

• Informative
The author is the CTO of a multi-national with vast NG assets. Part of his argument is a declaration that the NG industry wants to be invited to the party or they will fight against being left with stranded asses.
Freudian slip:D?

Certainly a conflict of interest as he has that real vested interest in the stuff sticking around. But to his relative credit, he is far more honest about the harms of NG than almost any senior executive in the fossil fool industry, even admitting "once the last coal plant closes, natural gas plants become the dirtiest electricity sources".

He also interestingly doesn't do so much to belittle RE and electrification noting "The first step in a comprehensive plan for decarbonizing the nation’s energy infrastructure would be improving energy efficiency and conservation to reduce consumption. The second would be to electrify as many cars, space heaters, water heaters and cooktops as is practical, using renewable sources."

But to his relative credit
Yep. I found \ the article thoughtful too. And it's not like his point that entrenched interests will fight against loss of profits is up for debate. I suppose he rubbed me the wrong way by offering up a stick. He should be chatting up his NG buddies to come up with ideas and massive R&D that turn pipes into a competitive asset in the RE economy rather than a green-washed excuse for subsidy. 20% H2 mix is not going to cut it.

A synthetic fuel that starts from renewable H2 has promise if it can competitively scale. That, however, is a BIG if.

Yep. I found \ the article thoughtful too. And it's not like his point that entrenched interests will fight against loss of profits is up for debate. I suppose he rubbed me the wrong way by offering up a stick. He should be chatting up his NG buddies to come up with ideas and massive R&D that turn pipes into a competitive asset in the RE economy rather than a green-washed excuse for subsidy. 20% H2 mix is not going to cut it.

A synthetic fuel that starts from renewable H2 has promise if it can competitively scale. That, however, is a BIG if.
The other issue is that methane is a potent greenhouse gas so even "green" methane destroys the environment.

The author is the CTO of a multi-national with vast NG assets. Part of his argument is a declaration that the NG industry wants to be invited to the party or they will fight against being left with stranded asses.
Which is fine, invite them to the party. NG has an important role to play in society. Paying off petro stranded asset owners is a logical way to rid oneself of an issue. At the end of the day, the world would be much better if Gates or Elon would just buy and shut down Exxon. Source of much the climate change fud, well Chevron too. Get rid of those two and much of the US targeted fud would disappear and you'd only have the Russian trolls.

Reactions: mspohr