Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What problems ?
I think he is suggesting that even with the longer cables on V4 some EV's may find it hard to get the cables to reach so might still be tempted to use the "wrong" side.
If the stalls were positioned a bit further back in the space that might make it better from that POV but it also might make it harder for cars with front mounted ports and make it more likely someone would crash into the stalls I imagine.

It's not just the cable length - people who don't drive Teslas are used to just picking the cable closest to their charge port - they aren't familiar with site designs where the stalls are positioned for the passenger-side charge port only - so if you turn up at a bank of 12 stalls and reverse in, it's not immediately obvious to the non-Tesla driver that they need to use the stall on the other side of their car if they have a drivers-side charge port. You then potentially end up with a blocked stall and empty bay when the site fills up.

I think he is suggesting that even with the longer cables on V4 some EV's may find it hard to get the cables to reach so might still be tempted to use the "wrong" side.
If the stalls were positioned a bit further back in the space that might make it better from that POV but it also might make it harder for cars with front mounted ports and make it more likely someone would crash into the stalls I imagine.
Could also be a case of "if it is not central, it may not be obvious which charger to use". Some pics of other V4s I have seen show chargers have been installed in similarly to V2/V3s where they are in line with the lines of the bays so not obvious which to use.

I imagine some will be because it won't reach, some will be because it isnt obvious.

Edit: @zexpe beat me to it whilst I was typing the above :D

Reactions: zexpe
It’s Tesla.

Thats not an EG group site and its fits Tesla’s MO.
They already have a big site nearby - I find that odd when the point of superchargers is to provide extra range. Why build two sites so close when they could invest in improving coverage? How can we be certain any Tesla Supercharger hardware arriving at a new site is actually for the Tesla network now until we see the Tesla logo on the stalls themselves?

It's not just the cable length - people who don't drive Teslas are used to just picking the cable closest to their charge port - they aren't familiar with site designs where the stalls are positioned for the passenger-side charge port only - so if you turn up at a bank of 12 stalls and reverse in, it's not immediately obvious to the non-Tesla driver that they need to use the stall on the other side of their car if they have a drivers-side charge port. You then potentially end up with a blocked stall and empty bay when the site fills up.
If they’re positioned at the side, it is much easier for any car with a side-mounted charge port to access the cable, either by reversing in or going in forwards. The only case where it might be more difficult is for those with a front-mounted charge port.

Attachments

• IMG_0834.jpeg
    IMG_0834.jpeg
    933.9 KB · Views: 2
This confusion of EG group or Tesla is going to happen more often.

It could easily be either. EG group own KFC and it is in there car park and we don't have enough sites by them to know there MO yet.

For Tesla it does seem a bit strange considering rugby service is nearby however that does get busy at times so maybe further expansion. We will see.

Reactions: zexpe
If they’re positioned at the side, it is much easier for any car with a side-mounted charge port to access the cable, either by reversing in or going in forwards. The only case where it might be more difficult is for those with a front-mounted charge port.
It might be easier - but the association of a particular stall with a particular bay isn't so obvious to the casual (non-Tesla) driver... this could be improved via better visual clues, but in practice you do see people still using the "wrong" stall at V4 sites.

Reactions: Oxid8ter
It might be easier - but the association of a particular stall with a particular bay isn't so obvious to the casual (non-Tesla) driver... this could be improved via better visual clues, but in practice you do see people still using the "wrong" stall at V4 sites.
I agree. If that Nissan Arya had a charge port on the other side (front or rear), assuming they are not a Tesla owner/driver as well, they would have used the charger on the Offside of the car rather than the one they are pictured using.

As @zexpe has stated, its as much about habit/lack of education as it about whether the cable is long enough or not.

They already have a big site nearby - I find that odd when the point of superchargers is to provide extra range. Why build two sites so close when they could invest in improving coverage?

I've said this before, but expansion to ease overcrowding is more important than improving coverage - both for Tesla's objectives, and for ours as drivers.

If an area has no coverage (parts of Wales, North of Scotland etc) then you know it in advance and can plan accordingly. If you believe an area has coverage, but you get there and find you can't charge due to congestion, then that's a big deal.

That's our perspective; Tesla's objective is to sell cars. Maybe they'll lose the odd sale to the customer who says "I spend my whole time driving the NC500, lack of superchargers up there is a dealbreaker", but for most customers it's either not an issue at all (based on where they drive) or one that can be talked through by the salesman and the concern alleviated. Stories in the Daily Express about road rage incidents at supercharger sites turn people off EVs before they've even entered the showroom, and linger in their minds even if it isn't an immediate deal killer.

So maintaining the existing coverrage under the increasing demand has to come first, expanding into new territories second.

That's aside from the more technical issues that shopping-centre sites serve a different user requirement from motorway service areas (drivers without home charging vs long distance travel), and the fact that many areas where it would be desirable to increase coverage are hard to do due to lack of power: if the DNO quotes a 2-year lead time for the new connection, it can't be built this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oxid8ter
Can I just point out that I reversed into one of the two bays at Calais Eurotunnel Flexiplus lounge and a) couldn't understand why they were at a funny angle and b) that the cable didn't reach. Then figured out that you DRIVE through.
Well duh me! :rolleyes:

I've said this before, but expansion to ease overcrowding is more important than improving coverage - both for Tesla's objectives, and for ours as drivers.

If an area has no coverage (parts of Wales, North of Scotland etc) then you know it in advance and can plan accordingly. If you believe an area has coverage, but you get there and find you can't charge due to congestion, then that's a big deal.

That's our perspective; Tesla's objective is to sell cars. Maybe they'll lose the odd sale to the customer who says "I spend my whole time driving the NC500, lack of superchargers up there is a dealbreaker", but for most customers it's either not an issue at all (based on where they drive) or one that can be talked through by the salesman and the concern alleviated. Stories in the Daily Express about road rage incidents at supercharger sites turn people off EVs before they've even entered the showroom, and linger in their minds even if it isn't an immediate deal killer.

So maintaining the existing coverrage under the increasing demand has to come first, expanding into new territories second.

That's aside from the more technical issues that shopping-centre sites serve a different user requirement from motorway service areas (drivers without home charging vs long distance travel), and the fact that many areas where it would be desirable to increase coverage are hard to do due to lack of power: if the DNO quotes a 2-year lead time for the new connection, it can't be built this year.

True superchargers in remote locations are a different level of priority to motor service charging. I think showing blanket coverage across the country is useful for lots of use cases to show chargers so you can drive anywhere easily.

I think for Rugby's case if you lived in Rugby and cannot charge at home there is a one you can access easily on the outskirts of town so local buyers can have no real excuse. However if this one was built in a shopping complex in, say, nearby Coventry (with a much bigger population) which doesn't have one it would make more sense to me.

I'm sure they are working on all sorts of locations for all cases. With ease of installing (easy available power, etc)

Another thing I think needs to happen in longer term is make it more expensive for motorway services than city areas. These are premium catchment areas everything there is more expensive for the convenience. Petrol is what 15% more expensive there and people filling up on long journeys often choose a detour to refuel at say a supermarket nearby and I can see charging going up relatively to others in these locations to encourage a better split of supercharger resources.

They already have a big site nearby - I find that odd when the point of superchargers is to provide extra range. Why build two sites so close when they could invest in improving coverage? How can we be certain any Tesla Supercharger hardware arriving at a new site is actually for the Tesla network now until we see the Tesla logo on the stalls themselves?
Demand, grid connection, planning permissions....

Not only is Rugby pretty busy but the Superchargers are also not open to non Tesla's so that is two reasons why more capacity nearby might make sense.

I was at Rugby a few weeks ago, every single stall but one was in use. It was turning over cars very quickly but despite it being one of the biggest in the country, it gets BUSY.

A charger in a local shopping centre is serving a different kind of customer to those on the M6.

The Gridserve site is also rammed at Rugby, those people may opt to charge 5 mins away for less money.
This confusion of EG group or Tesla is going to happen more often.

It could easily be either. EG group own KFC and it is in there car park and we don't have enough sites by them to know there MO yet.

For Tesla it does seem a bit strange considering rugby service is nearby however that does get busy at times so maybe further expansion. We will see.

EG Group do not own KFC. They operate some small franchises at some of their locations. They also have Greggs, Starbucks, subway and Costa franchises.

They are actually in the retail park car park and not in the boundary of either of the fast food outlets. They are actually closer to McDonalds.

Installing them in retail parks is part of Tesla’s strategy.

Installing them on EG petrol forecourts is EGs strategy, it’s going to be pretty clear which are EG installations.

EG Group do not own KFC. They operate some small franchises at some of their locations. They also have Greggs, Starbucks, subway and Costa franchises.
Yeah I meant the hundreds of franchises, however I didn't realise a few months ago they sold them all. So very unlikely to be them now (I don't think we can tell yet about EG strategy yet as they only have a few sites). Tesla it is.

I was at Rugby a few weeks ago, every single stall but one was in use. It was turning over cars very quickly but despite it being one of the biggest in the country, it gets BUSY.

A charger in a local shopping centre is serving a different kind of customer to those on the M6.
At least the queues are faster at these bigger sites, unlike Tebay & Scotch Corner. I'm all for increasing capacity as well as coverage - especially if that is done fairly across the country, wherever there are capacity issues. Retail Parks make great alternatives to service stations too, as you wisely state, and Tesla are doing the same thing at Gretna - so it could well be Tesla. I just think we can't be 100% certain anymore without additional information.

Hi all, really enjoying the discourse about this new charging site. Will be interesting to see it when it’s done and solve the mystery of Tesla vs EG group. Some more photos taken today, you can see the spaces dug out for the supercharger, and they’ve filled in the road (not pictured) between the electrical box and where the superchargers sit. Very interesting that it’s not on the supercharger map as a proposed site, will be interesting to see when Tesla will update the website next.

Attachments

• IMG_3096.jpeg
    IMG_3096.jpeg
    522.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3095.jpeg
    IMG_3095.jpeg
    440.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3094.jpeg
    IMG_3094.jpeg
    591.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3093.jpeg
    IMG_3093.jpeg