Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof install in progress in San Carlos, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Relatively high rate charges in the Bay Area and EV use will easily get you into the ROI without AC (esp when have both). Biggest other factor is roof as capital improvement vs just ROI from solar, and at what % of the total value of home. Last point also works out well in Bay Area.

Relatively high rate charges in the Bay Area and EV use will easily get you into the ROI without AC (esp when have both). Biggest other factor is roof as capital improvement vs just ROI from solar, and at what % of the total value of home. Last point also works out well in Bay Area.
With all the issues going on now with the solar roofs, I would be REAL worried about will this product even been in business in the future, and would there be support. If Tesla cannot make money off the roof, if it were me, I would close that part of the company down.

I think the "big issues" right now are really more about pricing dispute and product demand that was much greater than capacity to fulfill by Tesla.
The pricing dispute will eventually get resolved (for better or worse to either Tesla or for those with in process contracts...assume there will be compromise both ways). The market demand for the product is real and significant (even with the higher price). When going thru the installation before price adjustment, I was honestly shocked at how many people worked on the project over how much time compared to other types of home remodel type of labor with less work and more cost. I would agree that Tesla significantly underestimated their installation costs for solar roof V3.
What happens now, we will just have to see...
But this is not Tesla's only make or break product, so imagine it has high likelihood to continue to be made and installed given the demand for such product.

Reactions: buckets0fun
But with the Peak period so late in the day now, you lose a lot of Peak generation credit unless you also get PWs. I'd really have to see the math on the ROI.

My sister observed today that a Solar Roof installation is in progress on a home on Loma Way in San Carlos, CA. Is that homeowner a participant here? I'd like to visit for a look-see.
Just curious, you want a look-see like some of my friends and relatives that like to go to open house for a look see just because? If that's the case, you can just browse pictures of some of the roof installations here or installation video on Youtube. If you are serious about solar, panels is always a cheaper option and you would look at solar roof only if you need a new roof anyway or you just want the look and functionality of a solar roof regardless of cost. Tesla solar roof was a bargain before the price increase and still not a bad deal if you need a nice new roof, I know, definition of a nice roof is different to different people. Also, keep in mind that you cannot get anything Tesla without getting PW as well, but personally I think solar without storage is plain silly even if you have to pay for it, something you need to factor in. BTW, I think if you are looking at pure financial ROI from it then solar roof and PW is probably not for you. I said it before, the only ROI that matters to me is my portfolio and everything else is more complicated than that.

Reactions: h2ofun
Just curious, you want a look-see like some of my friends and relatives that like to go to open house for a look see just because? If that's the case, you can just browse pictures of some of the roof installations here or installation video on Youtube. If you are serious about solar, panels is always a cheaper option and you would look at solar roof only if you need a new roof anyway or you just want the look and functionality of a solar roof regardless of cost.
I'm not a lookie-loo. I have a Solar Roof order placed last November because: 1) my insurance company said they will no longer insure my home with its wood shake roof, and 2) the solar panel PV system that I installed in 2000 is now producing about half the energy it should. I've had only sporadic response from Tesla about my order, most recently to ask about an angle where the roof projects to cover a bay window. I'm particularly keen to see whether this installation uses the PW+ because my own installation would be very complicated unless we can use the PW+ with its meter adapter ring.
Tesla solar roof was a bargain before the price increase and still not a bad deal if you need a nice new roof, I know, definition of a nice roof is different to different people.
I'd like a nicer roof than asphalt shingles, that's why we (perhaps unwisely) stayed with wood shakes when we reroofed at the same time as the PV system installation in 2000. Some other nice roof materials exceed the 7.5 lb/sq.ft. that our home can accommodate, but the Solar Roof is less than that.
Also, keep in mind that you cannot get anything Tesla without getting PW as well, but personally I think solar without storage is plain silly even if you have to pay for it, something you need to factor in. BTW, I think if you are looking at pure financial ROI from it then solar roof and PW is probably not for you. I said it before, the only ROI that matters to me is my portfolio and everything else is more complicated than that.
My existing PV system includes 12kWh of lead-acid batteries. I would not consider installing a new system without batteries. And no, ROI is not my primary motivation. I was driving a GM EV1 before installing the existing system and doubters would say I just moved the tailpipe to the power station. I decided I could fix that problem.

Have I established adequate credentials?

to OP i think the answer is homeowner likely not active here ..
most roof ppl would have posted once project started due to usual long wait times / excitement when project finally gets going
Right, I expected that my question was a long shot. Of course I could just go there, but an introduction is helpful. As it turns out, a conflict arose so I can't take the time to go there and catch the installation in progress anyway, sigh.

I’m not in San Carlos but close by in San Mateo and we just started day 1 today with tear down.
Hi, I’m building a new house in LA where I’m considering the Tesla roof and happen to be visiting my sister in San Mateo this weekend. Any chance you’d mind if I drove past your house? If so, I’d really appreciate it if you could PM me your address. Tesla sales only offers 2 public addresses in the entire LA area, and they are older installations.

Thanks!