Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof Option

Would you select a solar roof if it were an option?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Without more info I can't answer the poll. Sure, I'd consider a solar roof but it would depend on the cost of the option, how much power it electricity it provided under what conditions and if it would preclude the panoramic roof. It would need to be pretty compelling in order for me to get it.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
Be careful what you believe. Current photovoltaics are about 15% efficient, 50 times that would be 750% efficient violating several laws of physics.
If we're going to invoke physics, let's at least agree that 50x in power, which is possible, is not the same as 50x increase in efficiency, which is not possible unless beginning below 2%.

I don't think solar roof is ready for Model 3 yet.

In another thread, I stated my case for doing R&D to bring it to the higher end models (Model S & X, Roadster), first, and letting R&D continue. I feel it is half a decade to two decades away before this is a viable option for the Model 3 market. I would be very happy to be pleasantly surprised that they are ahead of my prediction.

Reactions: Red Sage
While I think a solar roof is pretty impractical with today's PV efficiency levels. I do have to consider the case of a zombie apocalypse where the grid no longer functions and I might find myself stranded. If the panels can provide a net positive charge then besides having to wait days for it to charge, it might come in handy someday combined with biohazard defense mode.

That's really one of my questions regarding future cars... will it still work in the case of a zombie apocalypse, economic collapse, global climate disaster, Trump presidency, etc. These are important topics.

If we're going to invoke physics, let's at least agree that 50x in power, which is possible, is not the same as 50x increase in efficiency, which is not possible unless beginning below 2%.
This reminds me of a scene in the fictional TV series Stargate SG-1, Season 7, Episode 14, "Fallout", in which Carter talks about recognizing a design based on an efficiency level of over 100%. I agree, however, in non-fiction real life.

Last edited:
While I think a solar roof is pretty impractical with today's PV efficiency levels. I do have to consider the case of a zombie apocalypse where the grid no longer functions and I might find myself stranded.

A solar panel on your car making 2 kWh per day, means 8 miles per day, or 1/3 mile per hour. No zombie shambles that slow. Get out and run dude, that's your only chance.:eek::eek::eek:

Thank you kindly.

A solar panel on your car making 2 kWh per day, means 8 miles per day, or 1/3 mile per hour. No zombie shambles that slow. Get out and run dude, that's your only chance.:eek::eek::eek:

Thank you kindly.
You aren't driving to work each day during the Zombie apocalypse, more likely making occasional trips to scavenge. Besides, at slightly above zombie pace your car will be much more efficient than 250 Wh/mi.

Thank you kindly.
It is EXTREMELY difficult to believe that an optimal tracking Solar Panel could put out and average of 2kWh per day, let alone a solar panel that is facing straight up into the sky, - let alone that it would be difficult to get a full Solar Panel worth of cells in them.

Reactions: Booga
Without more info I can't answer the poll. Sure, I'd consider a solar roof but it would depend on the cost of the option, how much power it electricity it provided under what conditions and if it would preclude the panoramic roof. It would need to be pretty compelling in order for me to get it.
I agree but add to that list how it looks. If it was just diverting sunlight through holographic means through the windshield and glass roof into the edge of the glass and being picked up by a high conversion rate high concentration solar panel sliver, then it could look very beautiful (basically the same as existing glass roofs and windshields) and pick up a fairly substantial amount of sunlight without being hugely expensive. At first, low uptake and development would make it irrationally expensive and only offer a trickle of energy, but it could be enough to offset sitting around for multicar owners, or for short distance drivers could allow them never to charge it.

Development, on the other hand, is a huge problem:
  • The battery charger normally is disconnected from the battery. This would require:
    • a new DC-DC converter
    • more logic to handle a higher number of energy sources
    • a method to handle a constantly-on (for 1/3rd of the day) source of electricity
      • when the car is parked, have some way to deliver that energy as a charge to the battery (probably just charge it?)
      • when the car is moving, have some way to deliver that energy to the drive train instead (running energy through a battery is counterproductive when in use)
      • possibly combine those two functions inside the existing equipment somehow
  • Development of the new system would cost a lot of money at a time that Tesla does not have any extra money (they are in debt), so this competes against other improvements, and this loses almost all comparisons with other features.
I could lie and think I find some cost benefits, but I don't think so. Consider this benefit:

After costs come dramatically down (such as the glass costs about the same as non-holographic glass AND the sliver of high concentration high conversion rate solar cells becomes inexpensive through high volume AND this gets installed on ALL Teslas), the benefit to Tesla in preventing battery discharge problems for inventory cars sitting in lots for 2 weeks could become worth it alone, after Tesla is no longer in a position where debt is a big issue (in 4 to 6 years from now?). At that point they could put it in every car.

But consider this better way to solve that:

Drones can easily plug into inventory lot cars to charge them. The drones could be expensive, since they only need about two dozen of them.

The smaller lots can be managed by personnel physically going out to plug in the cars however they want (long cord or driving car to charging spot, since all they have to do is slow charge it anyway if it's just sitting long periods of time).

Even bigger lots could cycle quickly enough that charging a car is only rarely needed.

Ultra-sleep mode where the car goes into 0 use could work; it would first register an exact GPS position so that the Tesla Mothership knows where the car is, then the car would completely shut down, requiring a special tool to put back in to deep sleep mode. This 0 use mode would only be available to Tesla fleet operations.

Last edited: