Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof Panels (On the car itself)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nick77

Deep Blue Model 3 LR (2021 MIC)
Mar 15, 2020
Burton-on-Trent
This popped up on my feed.

I don't for one minute believe their claim of 60 miles per day. Maybe on the summer solstice on a perfectly clear day perhaps. But even if it could provide 10 miles per day it'd be worth it.

I was under the impression current photovoltaic cells weren't efficient enough to generate that much power, and certainly not from the sq ft area of a small car roof compared to that of a house.

As above though. If it could even generate 10 miles in summer and just 5 in the winter it'd be an insta buy for me as I don't do loads of miles.

Yeah, I saw this article and laughed out loud...

No way will you get 60 miles out of solar panels on the roof of my Model 3 Performance.

I used 11kWh to get me 38 miles the other day. So that's about 17kWh generation needed for 60 miles.

My 7.2 kWp (18 x 400w) panels on the roof in the height of Summer produce about 26kWh per day on average.

You'd probably get ONE, maybe TWO of those panels on a car roof... maximum.

So that'll be 1.4 kWh per panel x 2 .... Lets be generous and say 3kWh generated on average, in the best month of the year...

3 kWh = 10.3 miles per day...

Mostly you'd be lucky to get between 1 mile and 5 miles... or just enough to trigger the Heat Pump now and then.

Just not worth it when 3 kWh costs just 15p anyways.

Last edited:
The Sono Sion which is covered in solar panels and almost as big as a model 3 can only add up to 22 miles a day, though Sono say it will be closer to 10 miles a day on a typical day, so some sort off add on that is supposed to add 60 miles a day doesn’t look at all credible.