Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof Pre-Installation Costs Increase Total Roof Cost by 20%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had a roofer come out to give us an estimate for a new composite roof with no solar.

The estimate is $14,120 not including permits by a reputable roofer who's been in business for over 40 years.

So the $8,950 quoted is 64% of a total roof job. Wondering if Tesla would partner with this roofer to do the work, but I know it gets complicated with warranties.

Composite shingles are cheap and light relative of ceramic tiles or a Solarglass roof. Also much faster to install. So I would forget about the percentages.

FWIW, we got quotes for our near 3,000 sq roof with Composite shingles ranging $14,000 (plain shingles) to a little over $20,000 (architectural 5 layer shingles). A replacement tile roof (which is what we had) was $30,000-38,000. Solar added to the tile roof drove the price over $60,000. This is with no OSB replacement. This was higher than the SolarGlass. All prices do not include PowerWalls.

I want to believe Tesla is earnest and was starting to feel like a real jerk for pushing them for a breakdown. But I believe in transparency and I'm glad that, for now, we've come to an agreement. This will lead us to be less relaxed and evaluate every step during installation.

Still, I've learned about the SR installation in this exploration and am indebted to this board.

We will continue to believe everyone is doing their level best, but sometimes even great companies need to encouragement to do better.

Reactions: jboy210
I want to believe Tesla is earnest and was starting to feel like a real jerk for pushing them for a breakdown. But I believe in transparency and I'm glad that, for now, we've come to an agreement. This will lead us to be less relaxed and evaluate every step during installation.

Still, I've learned about the SR installation in this exploration and am indebted to this board.

We will continue to believe everyone is doing their level best, but sometimes even great companies need to encouragement to do better.
You’re not being a jerk, this is a construction job. Transparency is 100000% needed